Meerschaum Challenge

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8599
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Meerschaum Challenge

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:52 am

I got the idea from one of the Facebook groups, to smoke the same meer for the whole month of July, I’ve got a Sultan that a Navy Seal buddy got me in Ataturk that I’ve only smoked once, so I’m gonna give it a go!

First smoke is C&D White Lightning

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 22090
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Meerschaum Challenge

Post by Jocose » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:21 am

Image

I'm in.

SMS Block Meerschaum.

Day 1
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

Image

User avatar
rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
Posts: 1971
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana to the Yukon

Re: Meerschaum Challenge

Post by rgcurrey » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:46 am

I need to get a meerschaum.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Posts: 23464
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Meerschaum Challenge

Post by JimVH » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:56 am

Sounds like fun. I’m in.

Unless I forget between now and when I get home. It happens.
“Gnomies are my homies...” hugodrax

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8599
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Meerschaum Challenge

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:05 pm

JimVH wrote:Sounds like fun. I’m in.

Unless I forget between now and when I get home. It happens.
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 25400
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Meerschaum Challenge

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:35 pm

Alas my only meers are African :(
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Posts: 23464
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Meerschaum Challenge

Post by JimVH » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:09 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:05 pm
JimVH wrote:Sounds like fun. I’m in.

Unless I forget between now and when I get home. It happens.
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Self fulfilling prophecy. I’ll have to start tomorrow. I just picked out the pipe.
“Gnomies are my homies...” hugodrax

User avatar
ryland
More of this
More of this
Posts: 3585
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:00 pm

Re: Meerschaum Challenge

Post by ryland » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:18 am

I'm buying a meer in two weeks. My daughter is getting baptized next week and I asked her to pick out a pipe and I'll pray for her when I smoke it. She picked out a meer with a blue stem.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

User avatar
hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Posts: 18918
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Meerschaum Challenge

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:37 am

ryland wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:18 am
I'm buying a meer in two weeks. My daughter is getting baptized next week and I asked her to pick out a pipe and I'll pray for her when I smoke it. She picked out a meer with a blue stem.
Forgive me. Sometimes I'm kinda stupid. For a split second I thought you brought a newborn into a pipe shop; then I realized what a dolt I am. Funny thought, though.

Neat gesture from you both and I wish her continued joy of her journey.

Smoke a meerschaum pipe for a month straight and one will usually be surprised with the results. I go through meer only phases. Truly the queen of pipes. Just remember not to overheat them.

1
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose
Posts: 885
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: Meerschaum Challenge

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:42 am

I only have one meer pipe . I bought it years and years ago at a head shop that sold mostly bongs. It's small and isn't a high quality pipe but it has it's own little case. When I bought it, it had a cobra on the front of the bowl so I sanded that off so people wouldn't think I was smoking pot. I never have liked it but I smoke it every once in a while. Someday I might get a good high quality meerschaum pipe though.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 22090
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Meerschaum Challenge

Post by Jocose » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:45 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:09 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:05 pm
JimVH wrote:Sounds like fun. I’m in.

Unless I forget between now and when I get home. It happens.
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Self fulfilling prophecy. I’ll have to start tomorrow. I just picked out the pipe.

Friendly reminder:

Don't forget to join the Meerschaum challenge today, Jim.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

Image

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Posts: 23464
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Meerschaum Challenge

Post by JimVH » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:49 pm

Jocose wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:45 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:09 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:05 pm
JimVH wrote:Sounds like fun. I’m in.

Unless I forget between now and when I get home. It happens.
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Self fulfilling prophecy. I’ll have to start tomorrow. I just picked out the pipe.

Friendly reminder:

Don't forget to join the Meerschaum challenge today, Jim.
Ha! You know me too well :)
“Gnomies are my homies...” hugodrax

User avatar
dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 4680
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Contact:

Re: Meerschaum Challenge

Post by dennisthemenace » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:41 pm

I’m in. Started 1 July with my Ehrlich chubby bulldog meerschaum. After 35 years, I’ve decided it should have a lot more color.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8599
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Meerschaum Challenge

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:38 am

Bowl #2 - Haddo’s Delight


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
Posts: 18072
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Meerschaum Challenge

Post by TNLawPiper » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:57 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:42 am
I only have one meer pipe . I bought it years and years ago at a head shop that sold mostly bongs. It's small and isn't a high quality pipe but it has it's own little case. When I bought it, it had a cobra on the front of the bowl so I sanded that off so people wouldn't think I was smoking pot. I never have liked it but I smoke it every once in a while. Someday I might get a good high quality meerschaum pipe though.
Even meerschaum pipes of decent quality can be had for affordable prices. I prefer the plain or latticed carvings. I had a plain one, but I was worried I wasn’t babying it enough, so I sold it to a Russian for nearly what I paid for it.

Of course, I now realize my rationale was stupid, but I did need the cash, so I guess it’s a wash.

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8599
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Meerschaum Challenge

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:13 am

dennisthemenace wrote:I’m in. Started 1 July with my Ehrlich chubby bulldog meerschaum. After 35 years, I’ve decided it should have a lot more color.
Nice, I’m not smoking as much these days, I may have to do this for longer than a month to get my moneys worth


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8599
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Meerschaum Challenge

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:32 am

Bowl 3 - H&H Black House
Bowl 4 - C&D Crowley’s Best


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8599
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Meerschaum Challenge

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:32 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:Bowl 3 - H&H Black House
Bowl 4 - C&D Crowley’s Best


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

User avatar
hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Posts: 18918
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Meerschaum Challenge

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:11 pm

Late to the party, but I'm in. Royal Yacht in a large bowl-in-hand by Servi.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8599
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Meerschaum Challenge

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:03 am

hugodrax wrote:Late to the party, but I'm in. Royal Yacht in a large bowl-in-hand by Servi.
Nice, welcome aboard, I think what I’m gonna do is count bowls instead of days, if I don’t get to 30 bowls this month, I’ll keep going until I do.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

Post Reply