Meerschaum Challenge

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Re: Meerschaum Challenge

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:25 am

I know basically nothing about Meerschaums but I think I would like to try one. I've mentioned in another post that I have a very small cheap meerschaum that I bought in a head shop years ago. I never have liked how it smokes. But apparently there are higher quality meerschaums out there.

So do you guys have any recommendations on a good brand? I would like to pay less than 150.00, I like straight or slightly bent stems, a decent depth and width of the bowl and I'm not really into big huge carved shapes like skulls or dragons, just something basic. Any advice would be welcome.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

“Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:46 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:25 am
I know basically nothing about Meerschaums but I think I would like to try one. I've mentioned in another post that I have a very small cheap meerschaum that I bought in a head shop years ago. I never have liked how it smokes. But apparently there are higher quality meerschaums out there.

So do you guys have any recommendations on a good brand? I would like to pay less than 150.00, I like straight or slightly bent stems, a decent depth and width of the bowl and I'm not really into big huge carved shapes like skulls or dragons, just something basic. Any advice would be welcome.
Ebay used IMP's and koncaks. Also look at Birinci pipes.

I'm not an expert, but meer is expensive. Better to buy used quality than new junk.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:52 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:46 am
Stanley76 wrote:

I'm not an expert, but meer is expensive. Better to buy used quality than new junk.
Thanks, I appreciate that.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

“Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:57 am

hugodrax wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

I've got major doubts that this is legit. The other Koncak pipes run from 200.00 to 650.00. What do you think? A fake or maybe damaged?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Meershaum-Pipe ... Sw7OFdPG~L

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:14 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:57 am
hugodrax wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

I've got major doubts that this is legit. The other Koncak pipes run from 200.00 to 650.00. What do you think? A fake or maybe damaged?
I'm thinking of buying it to find out

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:16 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:14 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

That's good enough for me. Since you were decent enough to advise me, you get first shot. If you don't buy I will.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:24 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:16 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

That's good enough for me. Since you were decent enough to advise me, you get first shot. If you don't buy I will.
No, let's do it this way. That's 65.00 plus 9.30, or 74.30.

I'll buy it if its damaged because I'll fix it. You're indemnified. Buy it.

If its unsold by 8 o'clock EST, its mine.

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:29 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:24 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

Ha ha. Thanks, but I'll take the hit if it's a fake or damaged. I appreciate the offer though.

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:35 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:29 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:24 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

Done. I'll let you know how it turns out when it arrives. Thanks for the advice. 75.00 is inexpensive for any decent pipe except a cob.

Ha ha. Thanks, but I'll take the hit if it's a fake or damaged. I appreciate the offer though.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:43 pm

Good man. Remember, though, if it doesn't suit, I'll pay the same price. You got a nice block there.

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:57 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:43 pm
Good man. Remember, though, if it doesn't suit, I'll pay the same price. You got a nice block there.
Thank you sir. You were the catalyst.

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:38 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:20 am
Jocose wrote:CPS blast from the past on coloring meers

I posted a pic of a 20+ year old Meer I had that I dropped and broke. Not even a millimeter of tar was seen absorbed into the meerschaum. Nothing. White as a ghost all the way thru.

Smoke will leave a deposit on the outside but you need to wax the pipe to really bring that out.
I think that can be true for the majority of the pipe, but when I remove the stem The rim around the plastic tenon is black all the way around the inside and it’s starting to color on the outside too, but the rest of the pipe barely has any color at all, and when I wax the pipe I don’t even touch the shank because I want the face to color first...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like yer pipe is leaking moisture? I'm not saying that meers wont ever color at all if stuff leaks out on them or if you handle them with dirty hands.

And Im no expert, perhaps my experience is one of a kind but after many moons of meer smoking I was just trying to dispel the old wives tale of how some folks think Meerschaum pipes color.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:32 am

No indeed, I am sure you are right about the bowl, I just wonder about the stems turning black as I’ve seen it happen to many meers.

Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:57 am

Well, I did it. I smoked just my Ehrlich meerschaum bulldog for the whole month of July. I will never do such a thing again. Gained a bit of color, but not as much as hoped. Never could figure out how to post pics here, so follow me on Instagram if you’re that curious - dennis.nichols.792
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:12 am

dennisthemenace wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:57 am
Well, I did it. I smoked just my Ehrlich meerschaum bulldog for the whole month of July. I will never do such a thing again. Gained a bit of color, but not as much as hoped. Never could figure out how to post pics here, so follow me on Instagram if you’re that curious - dennis.nichols.792
Shameless self-promotion!

dennisthemenace

Post by dennisthemenace » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:59 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:12 am
dennisthemenace wrote:
Yeah. Well I’m an actor. You know what jerks they are.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:31 am

dennisthemenace wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:59 am
hugodrax wrote:
dennisthemenace wrote:
No, actually. I've never met one. You seem fairly sound.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:57 pm

hugodrax wrote:
dennisthemenace wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:59 am
hugodrax wrote:
dennisthemenace wrote:
No, actually. I've never met one. You seem fairly sound.
Second.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Meerschaum Challenge

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:33 pm

Bowl 20 - GLP Caravan (I know it ain’t July anymore and I’m going to be seeing other pipes, but I’m gonna keep smoking this guy semi-regularly till I get to 30)

I’m getting some slight hints of red and yellow in the coloring so far, beeswax seems to get stuck in the crevices of the carving... need to borrow my wife’s hair dryer and melt that off...

Jocosoe
A sock puppet that can't relate
A sock puppet that can't relate

Post by Jocosoe » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:37 pm

I can't relate™.
..prepare to be ostracized-TNLP

"I say, Wos: are ypou available for cabaret or kids' parties?" - huddsbaggie