Forgotten Pipes Rediscovered

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Forgotten Pipes Rediscovered

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:02 pm

I have a drawer full of pipes that I rarely smoke, mostly Dr. Grabows and other pipes that either need stems replaced or some other work done to them. Pipes I normally smoke stay in a rack and a humidor holder on a cabinet that also holds my tobacco. Anyway, this afternoon I was digging through the drawer of unused pipes and I found two that I had forgotten about that were good smokers. One is a vintage Savinelli 1960's Erica Flama bulldog. It's a small pipe but always smoked pretty good. There was also an estate WIndsor Billiard that I used to smoke regularly. I don't know why those two pipes ended up in that drawer. Maybe no room on the rack and holder was why but anyhow I took them out and smoked the some Carter Hall in that Windsor this afternoon and it smoked great. The Savinelli's bit is really thin and feels like it could crack at any time so that's why a softee bit is on it.

It's almost like getting two new pipes for free. If you guys have a "junk" pipe drawer go dig through it and see if you have any pipes that really don't belong in there.

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Re: Forgotten Pipes Rediscovered

Post by FredS » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:05 pm

I've made two household moves in the last two years. I have pipes I never even unpacked so every time I unwrap one it's like a new pipe all over again. I've also never made up my mind exactly how I'm going to store my pipes so they're sort of scattered between three cabinets so I never really know what I'll find when I open a drawer or door.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:06 pm

Handsome pipes. I really enjoy rediscovering a good pipe now and then.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:49 pm

I have a couple gems hiding somewheres. Itll be like Xmas morning when I find them again.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:54 am

I get jazzed when I find a pipe only half smoked that I forgot about an hour ago.
DL Jake

how is your scrotum? - Roadmaster

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:13 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:54 am
I get jazzed when I find a pipe only half smoked that I forgot about an hour ago.
:rotfl:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

ChildOfGod
The Artist Formerly Known as ShellBriar
The Artist Formerly Known as ShellBriar

Post by ChildOfGod » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:16 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:13 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:54 am
+1 on the laughter

Nice looking finds Stan. Enjoy!

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:14 pm

I was inspired by this post to rotate my pipes...I put the 1st 2 pipes I ever bought back into the rotation, a basket bent billiard and a basket bent apple.

I remember one time going into a shop and the clerk asked me what pipe I was smoking and when I showed him, he told me that it was a second from a major maker and that it was a very nice pipe and aside from the fills it was very well made.

Flash forward a few years, different shop and the clerk told me it was junk and I really didn't know the joy of pipe smoking till I had a "Good" quality pipe.

Flash forward to now...the first guy was right, the second guy was trying to sell a pipe...my old basket bent billiard is a CHAMP. Thanks for getting me to dig it out and enjoy it.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:53 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:14 pm
I was inspired by this post to rotate my pipes...I put the 1st 2 pipes I ever bought back into the rotation, a basket bent billiard and a basket bent apple.

I remember one time going into a shop and the clerk asked me what pipe I was smoking and when I showed him, he told me that it was a second from a major maker and that it was a very nice pipe and aside from the fills it was very well made.

Flash forward a few years, different shop and the clerk told me it was junk and I really didn't know the joy of pipe smoking till I had a "Good" quality pipe.

Flash forward to now...the first guy was right, the second guy was trying to sell a pipe...my old basket bent billiard is a CHAMP. Thanks for getting me to dig it out and enjoy it.
I'll sell you a Wessex for 46 bucks that'll knock your socks off. I'll sell you a Peterson for 165 that was made by a kid in shop class.

Pipe snobs stink.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:12 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:53 pm
Bloodhound wrote:

I'll sell you a Wessex for 46 bucks that'll knock your socks off. I'll sell you a Peterson for 165 that was made by a kid in shop class.

Pipe snobs stink.
Is this one of them pipe snobs?
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:24 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:12 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:

Pipe snobs stink.
No. That's a Wellington.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:12 pm

Since I found that WIndsor and the Savinelli in my "junk" pipe drawer the other day, I decided to dig around in there some more this afternoon. Along with some really bad smoking pipes I found my old Dr. Grabow Riviera. I've had that pipe for a long time but it got forgotten along with the Windsor when I started buying Savinelli pipes. So I pulled it out and cleaned it up and I'm smoking some Pegasus in it right now. Nothing wrong with a well broke in Dr. Grabow. It's a nice little pipe and it's coming out of that junk drawer.

I also found a pipe that I didn't even remember. I don't recall ever smoking it and I don't know where it came from. I probably bought it years ago in a group of estate pipes off ebay. I used to get a lot of pipes that way. Anyway, it's marked "Blatter Montreal". I looked that up and some of their pipes are handmade. This isn't one of those nicer handmade pipes and but it's still from a decent pipe company. I'm going to try it out with some Old Joe Krantz or Billy Budd later on.

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:17 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:24 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:12 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:

Pipe snobs stink.
No. That's a Wellington.
DL Jake

how is your scrotum? - Roadmaster