OxiClean For Restoring Oxidized Vulcanite

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers

OxiClean For Restoring Oxidized Vulcanite

Post by Goose55 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:35 pm

Just wondering how many here have used OxiClean for restoring oxidized, and even badly oxidixed Vulcanite stems.

For those that have successfully used OxiClean, what is your process?

How much OxiClean to how much water?
Do you use hot or cold water?
Do you soak the stems in the solution, and if so, For how long?
Do you scrub the stems while they are in the solution?

Are you able to restore the stems to a crisp jet black?

How happy are you with the results?

Questions, questions, questions.

Last edited by Goose55 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Re: OxiClean For Restoring Oxidized Vulcanite

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:38 pm

following
DL Jake

It’s a little smooshed, but seems to be intact. - Gabriel

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:47 pm

I’ve used it once on two stems that were brown. I used one scoop in a maybe quart size jar. I filled the jar with the hottest water my tap would provide and let them stems soak for an hour. I then went through the full micro mesh progression and was pretty happy with the result. I think you need to be careful with stems that have logos

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:00 pm

BeefyG wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:47 pm
I’ve used it once on two stems that were brown. I used one scoop in a maybe quart size jar. I filled the jar with the hottest water my tap would provide and let them stems soak for an hour. I then went through the full micro mesh progression and was pretty happy with the result. I think you need to be careful with stems that have logos
BG, when you took them out of the OxiClean solution were they jet, jet black, or still brownish?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:03 pm

Goose55 wrote:
BeefyG wrote:
BG, when you took them out of the OxiClean solution were they jet, jet black, or still brownish?
Oh no, the oxiclean brings the oxidation to the surface. It made them worse. The micro mesh pads then sand away the oxidation. They came out black after that. I’ll try to see if I have before and after pics. I’ve since questioned if I actually needed to use the oxiclean or not. I’ve got several stems that need work so I may try using just the micro mesh on one.

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:06 pm

OxyClean Method
Mix a scoop of OxyClean in a pint jar of hot water, put the lid on and shake vigorously to mix the solution. The water should be deep enough to completely cover the stems that are put in the jar. Soak the stems in OxyClean and hot water for 30 minutes to 1 hour and then use micromesh pads to remove softened oxidation. Repeat this as often as necessary in the process. Then it takes a trip to the buffer. Note that the mixture does not remove the oxidation but merely softens it making it easier to remove with the buffer and sanding. I have tried various strengths of mixture and the single scoop seems to be a perfect mixture for how I use it.

From Reborn Pipes

https://rebornpipes.com/2012/06/02/remo ... e-stems-2/

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:55 pm

BeefyG wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:03 pm
Goose55 wrote:
BeefyG wrote:
Oh no, the oxiclean brings the oxidation to the surface. It made them worse. The micro mesh pads then sand away the oxidation. They came out black after that. I’ll try to see if I have before and after pics. I’ve since questioned if I actually needed to use the oxiclean or not. I’ve got several stems that need work so I may try using just the micro mesh on one.
As a chemist, Oxy-Clean would be something that I would avoid.

The problem with the old stems is that oxygen and water have attacked the vulcanite.... Soaking vulcanite in oxygen bleach* solution just accelerates the oxidation problem.

Then you still have to scrape and polish, just more than you would if you hadn't hit the stems with aggressive oxidizing agents.

*Oxygen bleach is a peroxide compound.
"Anyone who knows anything of experts will know one thing for certain; that they will always be disturbing our way of living; and therefore we shall always be disputing their right of governing." - GKC. Feb 11, 1933.

The future is certain; it’s the past that keeps changing. ~ Old Soviet joke

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:22 pm

It definitely brings the sulfur to the surface, but it makes the next step buffing rather than using jeweler's rouge or sandpaper...I enjoy using it, others may not.

Always spread a little vaseline over any stem logos if you use bleach or oxi-clean. I found that one out the hard way.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:41 pm

The logo is still there but very faint. I didn’t do anything to protect it.

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:54 pm

BeefyG wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:41 pm
The logo is still there but very faint. I didn’t do anything to protect it.
Can't deny results like that.

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:54 pm

The Stanwell logo held up much better. I may have put Vaseline on this one but I honestly don’t remember.

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:03 pm

hugodrax wrote:It definitely brings the sulfur to the surface, but it makes the next step buffing rather than using jeweler's rouge or sandpaper...I enjoy using it, others may not.

Always spread a little vaseline over any stem logos if you use bleach or oxi-clean. I found that one out the hard way.
Are you saying you skip the micro mesh pads after using it? Do you use a compound with the buffer at all? The micro mesh progression took forever so it would be nice if there is an easier way.

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:23 pm

BeefyG wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:03 pm
hugodrax wrote:It definitely brings the sulfur to the surface, but it makes the next step buffing rather than using jeweler's rouge or sandpaper...I enjoy using it, others may not.

Are you saying you skip the micro mesh pads after using it? Do you use a compound with the buffer at all? The micro mesh progression took forever so it would be nice if there is an easier way.
Depends. I might use a little jeweler's rouge before carnauba wax or I might not depending on how bad the oxidation is. Trick is to use a light hand.

I've never screwed around with micro mesh pads. What's the point of having a buffing wheel if you're doing hand sanding?
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:44 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:23 pm
I've never screwed around with micro mesh pads. What's the point of having a buffing wheel if you're doing hand sanding?
One can have more control and precision with the micro sanding pads. Buffing wheels can round off the sharp contours of the stem button where a micro pad does not. Fine grit needle chisels may also be used to maintain those sharp contours.

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:09 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:44 pm
hugodrax wrote:
One can have more control and precision with the micro sanding pads. Buffing wheels can round off the sharp contours of the stem button where a micro pad does not. Fine grit needle chisels may also be used to maintain those sharp contours.
An over aggressive hand can certainly round off the contours, let alone ruin a sandblast, but I maintain that a light hand will not. Then again, when I sell an estate pipe that’s been covered in grunge and poorly treated, I don’t try to sell it as a near mint example. I simply clean it and ream it and steam out any dents that I can and disclose what I’ve done.

The problem I have with chisels and such is that they can also be used to restore sharp corners that were no longer there. Not implying you do that, but there are certainly ebayers that do so much restoration work that the pipe is sold as a facsimile of the original in “near mint” condition after more work was done on the cleanup than was done in the factory.

Ymmv. Different strokes/approaches for every pipe owner.
—Marcus Aurelius

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:09 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:44 pm
hugodrax wrote:
An over aggressive hand can certainly round off the contours, let alone ruin a sandblast, but I maintain that a light hand will not. Then again, when I sell an estate pipe that’s been covered in grunge and poorly treated, I don’t try to sell it as a near mint example. I simply clean it and ream it and steam out any dents that I can and disclose what I’ve done.

The problem I have with chisels and such is that they can also be used to restore sharp corners that were no longer there. Not implying you do that, but there are certainly ebayers that do so much restoration work that the pipe is sold as a facsimile of the original in “near mint” condition after more work was done on the cleanup than was done in the factory.

Ymmv. Different strokes/approaches for every pipe owner.
Different strokes for each pipe as well. I’ll put in the work and finesse if I’m keeping it. Not so much if I plan on selling it, not that I’ve ever sold one. I need to work on that.

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:18 pm

I soak in a mixture of about 2 tablespoons oxiclean to 16oz water. Soak over night and then run through all 12 steps of my micro mesh pad kit.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

mcommini
Congregation
Congregation

Post by mcommini » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:50 pm

I've gotten pretty good results with dumping in about a half of the little scoop Oxi-clean comes with, mix with water in an Old-Fashioned glass, soak the stem anywhere from 2 hours to overnight (depending on in if I'm too busy to take care of it after the 2 hours), scrubbing it down with a toothbrush, and polishing it with a microfiber cloth. If the oxidation is particularly gnarly, I'll put a baking soda toothpaste on the toothbrush before hitting it with that.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are." --TH White

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:56 am

mcommini wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:50 pm
I've gotten pretty good results with dumping in about a half of the little scoop Oxi-clean comes with, mix with water in an Old-Fashioned glass, soak the stem anywhere from 2 hours to overnight (depending on in if I'm too busy to take care of it after the 2 hours), scrubbing it down with a toothbrush, and polishing it with a microfiber cloth. If the oxidation is particularly gnarly, I'll put a baking soda toothpaste on the toothbrush before hitting it with that.
I will definitely try this approach to see how it goes. Thanks.

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:22 pm

DL Jake

It’s a little smooshed, but seems to be intact. - Gabriel