What should I be hunting for in estate pipes? Tell me about some good ole briar.

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Re: What should I be hunting for in estate pipes? Tell me about some good ole briar.

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:25 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:12 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:23 pm
Comoy is missing from your list
as is Wessex
Yup...great pipes
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

AnungUnRama
Vinyl Deejay
Vinyl Deejay

Re: What should I be hunting for in estate pipes? Tell me about some good ole briar.

Post by AnungUnRama » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:13 pm

4 digit Kaywoodies. I used to have quite a few. The briar is great. The stinger attachments are interesting. Grab a Kaywoodie Carburetor if you can find it. I never found a cooler smoking pipe. They are a bit of a pain to clean though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Remember, if women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.
- Red Green

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:48 pm

Xring04 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:29 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:12 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:23 pm
Comoy is missing from your list
as is Wessex
I saw that Wessex has both French and Italian made pipes, any preference?
Nope. I've only had a few Wessex pipes. Liked them all. Didn't notice country of manufacturing. They were all sandblasted and all smoked well. And they all made excellent gifts!

Oh. Check out Ropp. The good ones. Not the rustic, quasi-sasquatch cherrywoods of dumbassery.

Good Estate Ropps might have a horn stem.
DL Jake

It’s a little smooshed, but seems to be intact. - Gabriel

hugodrax
McMuffins & 'Murica!
McMuffins & 'Murica!

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:11 pm

The price of new Wessex pipes is astounding. Most of what I carry these days, in fact. Solid yeoman pipes. Well-drilled, well-finished and spectacularly affordable.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:19 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:11 pm
The price of new Wessex pipes is astounding. Most of what I carry these days, in fact. Solid yeoman pipes. Well-drilled, well-finished and spectacularly affordable.
Yeah? I haven't looked in a while it's true. marscigars used to have good priced Wessex pipes.
DL Jake

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:28 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:19 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Yeah? I haven't looked in a while it's true. marscigars used to have good priced Wessex pipes.
I am now in google search land for yeoman pipes.

Thank you.
DL Jake

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:32 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:28 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Thank you.
Several Pipe Purchasing Sites on the Intwebs wrote:Your search for "yeoman" returned 0 results.
DL Jake

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:50 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:32 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Thank you.
Several Pipe Purchasing Sites on the Intwebs wrote:Your search for "yeoman" returned 0 results.
OK, Pittsburgh.

What gives?
DL Jake

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:53 pm

The older Kaywoodies are great pipes for the price but beware the stinger. Some folks like them, I do not. If I smoked filterless pipes (which I do not) I would buy old Dunhill, Sasieni, Comoy, GBD,BBB, Parker...see the theme? British pipes are top notch. But I smoke 9mm filter pipes and I haven’t found estate filter pipes to be worth my time.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

mcommini
Usher
Usher

Post by mcommini » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:04 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:50 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:32 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Thank you.
OK, Pittsburgh.

What gives?
"Yeoman" = "Joe Jabroni, plain, not fancy, unadorned, not Dunhill, some might say bohemian, hardworking, able to shoot a bow and clip a fly's wings from 1000ft away."

Try Google searching "inexpensive, good smoking pipes". And if you're Coco, add "- corncob; - Missouri - Meerschsaum"
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are." --TH White

hugodrax
McMuffins & 'Murica!
McMuffins & 'Murica!

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:50 am

I blame the public schools.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:54 pm

This thread is not good for me...I have bids now on 3 pipes... :?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Xring04
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Xring04 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:28 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:54 pm
This thread is not good for me...I have bids now on 3 pipes... :?

If it’s any consolation, this thread has been rough one me. I’ve bid and purchased 3. I also snagged a MM Christmas bundle.

Last edited by Xring04 on Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xring04
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Xring04 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:30 pm

I'm also the high bidder on a Nording Freehand,

Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers
Minister to Monster Truckers

Post by Goose55 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:58 am

I am surprised by the number of straight or flame grained estates that may be found on eBay for a song. Though opinions vary, I really do feel that such pipes do smoke more dryly and sweetly.

“When selecting briar pipes, quality of wood and workmanship and the type of graining are the prime considerations. Pipes made of dense, straight grain wood … have a tendency to absorb moisture much more slowly, which means they will smoke more sweetly and need to be rested less often. The bird's–eye, or end grain at the bottom of the bowl of a straight grain pipe absorbs moisture more quickly than other grains. Yet, because of its position, it allows the moisture to drain away from the tobacco and the channel, thus keeping the smoke dry.” ~ Pg 128, Pipes & Tobaccos, by Carl Ehwa
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
McMuffins & 'Murica!
McMuffins & 'Murica!

Post by hugodrax » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:09 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:58 am
I am surprised by the number of straight or flame grained estates that may be found on eBay for a song. Though opinions vary, I really do feel that such pipes do smoke more dryly and sweetly.

“When selecting briar pipes, quality of wood and workmanship and the type of graining are the prime considerations. Pipes made of dense, straight grain wood … have a tendency to absorb moisture much more slowly, which means they will smoke more sweetly and need to be rested less often. The bird's–eye, or end grain at the bottom of the bowl of a straight grain pipe absorbs moisture more quickly than other grains. Yet, because of its position, it allows the moisture to drain away from the tobacco and the channel, thus keeping the smoke dry.” ~ Pg 128, Pipes & Tobaccos, by Carl Ehwa
You know, I've thought about this and I've decided there's common ground we can build on, Goose. :D

While I don't think the <grain> makes a pipe smoke better, I do think that a pipe carver lavishes infinitely more care on making a true straight grain pipe, thus, the chances of it smoking better are improved considerably.

Thus, we can agree that they often smoke better.

I'm still a sucker for plethora of birdseye, though.
—Marcus Aurelius

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:03 pm

Tardigrades. I expect Tobacco ash mites don't last long and Moose are way too big.

I'm running on about 3 hours of sleep and I've just consumed a fair amount (for me) of Scotch. Apologies to the humour challenged.