another question about African Meerschaum pipes.

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Meerstone
Congregation
Congregation

another question about African Meerschaum pipes.

Post by Meerstone » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:31 am

I recently became the new owner of a Barling Meerschaum rustic black full bent. I ordered it online from Cup0Joes website. I have never held a meerschaum before (African or Turkish), so it was really surprising to feel how light and delicate it felt. The inside of the bowl was a pasty white similar to what plastor of paris might look like with a hole drilled through. It is porous and smells like a chalky substance sort of. After a few bowls, the once white bowl is now a brownish white for obvious reasons. It does
have a rather sweet taste imparted to any tobacco I have thus far smoked in it. It smokes cool and dry just like the advertisement said about it. I think I will reserve this one for flavored aromatic blends only. One interesting note. The smell the bowl exudes after cooling down is quite different from the smell of a briar. Weird.

I would go with a pure Turkish meerschaum next for both price and quality concerns. I would give this pipe a 3 out of 5 stars.

Another recent addition to my slowly growing pipe collection was a briar that came as a set. It is made by MacBaren and has a tall bowl with a straight stem. It is a nice reddish wood that has more of a satin finish than a glossy one. It came with a few pipe cleaners, tamper tool, lighter and three sample packs of MacBaren blends. I really enjoyed the Vanilla Cream blend. The pipe is quite nice though.

Meerstone
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Meerstone » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:17 am

:wink:

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:26 am

You've had it a couple weeks... any new impressions?
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Meerstone
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Meerstone » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:54 am

I really enjoy it now. I am mainly smoking MacBaren's Vanilla Cream in it.