Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by durangopipe » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:27 pm

That’s a beauty, BH.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:33 pm

First time the listing came up, I thought what an ugly pipe...but when the auction was closing 5 days later, I was scared I wouldn't win it...it grew on me and now I really like the shape and finish.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:09 pm

Here's a nice Paul Perri I recently picked up for a song. The chamber is 2 - 1/2 inches deep. The stem's cut is magnificent

What is this pipe shape called, a Hungarian?

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:03 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:09 pm
Here's a nice Paul Perri I recently picked up for a song. The chamber is 2 - 1/2 inches deep. The stem's cut is magnificent

Stunning, and great maker. Looks almost like a take on the old Ulmer pipes. Neat.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:58 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:03 pm
Goose55 wrote:

Stunning, and great maker. Looks almost like a take on the old Ulmer pipes. Neat.
Yes!
Quite a striking pipe.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:22 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:58 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:03 pm
Goose55 wrote:

Yes!
Quite a striking pipe.
Paul Perri with his wife, Margaret, at the Las Vegas Pipe Show in November of 2013. He looks younger than 93....

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:32 am

Ben Wade Rustic #8

I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:32 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:32 am
Ben Wade Rustic #8

Gorgeous!

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:35 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:32 am
Ben Wade Rustic #8

Very colorful pipe and with that red dot. Perfect.

ScrumpyJack
Congregation
Congregation

Post by ScrumpyJack » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:48 pm

At the Texas Pipe show in Ft. Worth this summer I picked up my first Bill Walther pipe. I loved it so much I just bought my second Walther. Nice pipes, and great guy.

Pipe 1 bought at the show.

Pipe 2 just purchased.
SCRUMP

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:13 pm

ScrumpyJack wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:48 pm
At the Texas Pipe show in Ft. Worth this summer I picked up my first Bill Walther pipe. I loved it so much I just bought my second Walther. Nice pipes, and great guy.

Pipe 1 bought at the show.

Pipe 2 just purchased.
Beauties, Scrump!

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:32 pm

Here's a nice large pipe I recently won on eBay that I am thinking I might like to keep, a Luigi Viprati Bent Billiard 2 clovers. 7/8th in X 2 inch chamber. The only thing I am concerned about is that the bowls walls may be too thin for me, as I tend to smoke hot.....

elimtaft
Anything but broccoli
Anything but broccoli

Post by elimtaft » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:56 am

Not a purchase exactly, but a place to put them :) I'm sure I still don't have many pipes compared to some of you, but my collection finally got big enough that it wouldn't find in my old case anymore. So I decided to build something that reminds me of the pipe shops.

A Word Is Worth A Thousand Pictures

Dort wo Du einen Pfeifenraucher siehst, findest Du einen guten Freund.

Broccoli over mushrooms.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:12 am

elimtaft wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:56 am
Not a purchase exactly, but a place to put them :) I'm sure I still don't have many pipes compared to some of you, but my collection finally got big enough that it wouldn't find in my old case anymore. So I decided to build something that reminds me of the pipe shops.

That is such a great and practical thing. I wish I had thought about something like this before I bought the Sherlock Holmes Charing Cross wall mount cabinet. As with a traditional pipe rack, your pipes will air out and "rest" well. With the cabinet I have, the doors don't have to be closed, but it looks better if they are.

Are those metal spring clips?

elimtaft
Anything but broccoli
Anything but broccoli

Post by elimtaft » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:17 am

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:12 am
elimtaft wrote:

That is such a great and practical thing. I wish I had thought about something like this before I bought the Sherlock Holmes Charing Cross wall mount cabinet. As with a traditional pipe rack, your pipes will air out and "rest" well. With the cabinet I have, the doors don't have to be closed, but it looks better if they are.

Are those metal spring clips?
Thanks! It took me forever to figure out what they were. Every time I called the pipe shops to ask, the one person who would know was out! I think I ended up seeing a post on some d.i.y. site. So they're actually fishing rod clips! https://www.amazon.com/Organized-Fishin ... B003BYKJH6. And the background is just peg board, I bought some cheap wool fabric from a hobby store, and the cheapest wood frames at the hardware store. Only problem I'd say is that the clips are plastic and with larger stems, I'm not confident how long they'll hold.
They bend kinda easy and some of them feel like they're barely hanging on!

Broccoli over mushrooms.

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:32 pm

elimtaft wrote:

In Rusty's name I scold you for putting your pipes on the wall like some irresponsible hippie. Enjoy your oxidized stems. Enjoy the dust of degredated ebonite in your mouth. * Rusty would've said this less rudely, more elegantly, and so smartly that you would have felt very dumb because you had to look up every third word in the dictionary (maybe that last part is just me)...Sorry Rusty
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

elimtaft
Anything but broccoli
Anything but broccoli

Post by elimtaft » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:20 pm

JMG wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:32 pm
elimtaft wrote:

In Rusty's name I scold you for putting your pipes on the wall like some irresponsible hippie. Enjoy your oxidized stems. Enjoy the dust of degredated ebonite in your mouth. * Rusty would've said this less rudely, more elegantly, and so smartly that you would have felt very dumb because you had to look up every third word in the dictionary (maybe that last part is just me)...Sorry Rusty
All I could think of, when reading your post, was that "degredated ebonite" sounds like the name of a metal band.

Broccoli over mushrooms.

JMG

Post by JMG » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:35 pm

elimtaft wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:20 pm
JMG wrote:
elimtaft wrote:

All I could think of, when reading your post, was that "degredated ebonite" sounds like the name of a metal band.
Yeah, it does.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:43 pm

JMG wrote:
elimtaft wrote:

Haha that was the first thing I thought of. Also, once I posted a picture of the few jars that make up my cellar on a shelf in my "man cave" and Rusty scolded me via PM, "Only Americans display their tobacco like that." lol
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:17 am

So I shared a little of this story in the "What are you working on" thread, but now that the pipe is done I wanted to post a pic. so here are some of the details repeated.

The last exchange I had with Rusty was about purchasing pipes. I stated I was done buying for a while, but I still looked on line and sometimes in the pipe shop. Rusty told me that if I felt I had enough for now, I should quit looking, because looking leads to bidding and that leads to more pipes. He wasn't talking me out of buying pipes, but he was clear that if I wanted to hold off, that my looking was not the way to not buy more pipes.

I assured him that I had it under control...sure I did...I then had to admit to him that I had placed a bid that I was sure would be over bid and then it wasn't...as he had warned me, looking, led to bidding, led to buying.

This is the pipe I "accidentally" bought. It is a COMOY St. James Billiard. The stem was oxidized and the finish was cruddy. Here it is now. I have some Pipe Wax from the tobacco fairy that will get applied, but I was eager to smoke it last night. So I took a picture and smoked some Presbyterian Mixture.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD