Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Post Reply
User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5258
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by durangopipe » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:27 pm

That’s a beauty, BH.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 7014
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:33 pm

First time the listing came up, I thought what an ugly pipe...but when the auction was closing 5 days later, I was scared I wouldn't win it...it grew on me and now I really like the shape and finish.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 6155
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Goose55 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:09 pm

Here's a nice Paul Perri I recently picked up for a song. The chamber is 2 - 1/2 inches deep. The stem's cut is magnificent

What is this pipe shape called, a Hungarian?

Image

Image
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:03 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:09 pm
Here's a nice Paul Perri I recently picked up for a song. The chamber is 2 - 1/2 inches deep. The stem's cut is magnificent

What is this pipe shape called, a Hungarian?

Image

Image
Stunning, and great maker. Looks almost like a take on the old Ulmer pipes. Neat.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5258
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by durangopipe » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:58 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:03 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:09 pm
Here's a nice Paul Perri I recently picked up for a song. The chamber is 2 - 1/2 inches deep. The stem's cut is magnificent

What is this pipe shape called, a Hungarian?

Image

Image
Stunning, and great maker. Looks almost like a take on the old Ulmer pipes. Neat.
Yes!
Quite a striking pipe.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 6155
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Goose55 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:22 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:58 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:03 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:09 pm
Here's a nice Paul Perri I recently picked up for a song. The chamber is 2 - 1/2 inches deep. The stem's cut is magnificent

What is this pipe shape called, a Hungarian?

Image

Image
Stunning, and great maker. Looks almost like a take on the old Ulmer pipes. Neat.
Yes!
Quite a striking pipe.
Paul Perri with his wife, Margaret, at the Las Vegas Pipe Show in November of 2013. He looks younger than 93....

Image
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8908
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:32 am

Ben Wade Rustic #8

Image
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5258
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:32 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:32 am
Ben Wade Rustic #8

Image
Gorgeous!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 6155
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:35 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:32 am
Ben Wade Rustic #8

Image
Very colorful pipe and with that red dot. Perfect.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
ScrumpyJack
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:57 pm

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by ScrumpyJack » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:48 pm

At the Texas Pipe show in Ft. Worth this summer I picked up my first Bill Walther pipe. I loved it so much I just bought my second Walther. Nice pipes, and great guy.

Pipe 1 bought at the show.
Image
Image

Pipe 2 just purchased.
Image
Image
SCRUMP

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5258
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:13 pm

ScrumpyJack wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:48 pm
At the Texas Pipe show in Ft. Worth this summer I picked up my first Bill Walther pipe. I loved it so much I just bought my second Walther. Nice pipes, and great guy.

Pipe 1 bought at the show.
Image
Image

Pipe 2 just purchased.
Image
Image
Beauties, Scrump!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 6155
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:32 pm

Here's a nice large pipe I recently won on eBay that I am thinking I might like to keep, a Luigi Viprati Bent Billiard 2 clovers. 7/8th in X 2 inch chamber. The only thing I am concerned about is that the bowls walls may be too thin for me, as I tend to smoke hot.....

Image
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
elimtaft
Anything but broccoli
Anything but broccoli
Posts: 895
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Kannapolis, NC
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by elimtaft » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:56 am

Not a purchase exactly, but a place to put them :) I'm sure I still don't have many pipes compared to some of you, but my collection finally got big enough that it wouldn't find in my old case anymore. So I decided to build something that reminds me of the pipe shops.

Image
A Word Is Worth A Thousand Pictures

Dort wo Du einen Pfeifenraucher siehst, findest Du einen guten Freund.

Broccoli over mushrooms.

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 6155
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:12 am

elimtaft wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:56 am
Not a purchase exactly, but a place to put them :) I'm sure I still don't have many pipes compared to some of you, but my collection finally got big enough that it wouldn't find in my old case anymore. So I decided to build something that reminds me of the pipe shops.

Image
That is such a great and practical thing. I wish I had thought about something like this before I bought the Sherlock Holmes Charing Cross wall mount cabinet. As with a traditional pipe rack, your pipes will air out and "rest" well. With the cabinet I have, the doors don't have to be closed, but it looks better if they are.

Are those metal spring clips?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
elimtaft
Anything but broccoli
Anything but broccoli
Posts: 895
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Kannapolis, NC
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by elimtaft » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:17 am

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:12 am
elimtaft wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:56 am
Not a purchase exactly, but a place to put them :) I'm sure I still don't have many pipes compared to some of you, but my collection finally got big enough that it wouldn't find in my old case anymore. So I decided to build something that reminds me of the pipe shops.

Image
That is such a great and practical thing. I wish I had thought about something like this before I bought the Sherlock Holmes Charing Cross wall mount cabinet. As with a traditional pipe rack, your pipes will air out and "rest" well. With the cabinet I have, the doors don't have to be closed, but it looks better if they are.

Are those metal spring clips?
Thanks! It took me forever to figure out what they were. Every time I called the pipe shops to ask, the one person who would know was out! I think I ended up seeing a post on some d.i.y. site. So they're actually fishing rod clips! https://www.amazon.com/Organized-Fishin ... B003BYKJH6. And the background is just peg board, I bought some cheap wool fabric from a hobby store, and the cheapest wood frames at the hardware store. Only problem I'd say is that the clips are plastic and with larger stems, I'm not confident how long they'll hold.
They bend kinda easy and some of them feel like they're barely hanging on!
A Word Is Worth A Thousand Pictures

Dort wo Du einen Pfeifenraucher siehst, findest Du einen guten Freund.

Broccoli over mushrooms.

User avatar
JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Posts: 5543
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by JMG » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:32 pm

elimtaft wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:56 am
Not a purchase exactly, but a place to put them :) I'm sure I still don't have many pipes compared to some of you, but my collection finally got big enough that it wouldn't find in my old case anymore. So I decided to build something that reminds me of the pipe shops.

Image
In Rusty's name I scold you for putting your pipes on the wall like some irresponsible hippie. Enjoy your oxidized stems. Enjoy the dust of degredated ebonite in your mouth. * Rusty would've said this less rudely, more elegantly, and so smartly that you would have felt very dumb because you had to look up every third word in the dictionary (maybe that last part is just me)...Sorry Rusty
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
elimtaft
Anything but broccoli
Anything but broccoli
Posts: 895
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Kannapolis, NC
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by elimtaft » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:20 pm

JMG wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:32 pm
elimtaft wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:56 am
Not a purchase exactly, but a place to put them :) I'm sure I still don't have many pipes compared to some of you, but my collection finally got big enough that it wouldn't find in my old case anymore. So I decided to build something that reminds me of the pipe shops.

Image
In Rusty's name I scold you for putting your pipes on the wall like some irresponsible hippie. Enjoy your oxidized stems. Enjoy the dust of degredated ebonite in your mouth. * Rusty would've said this less rudely, more elegantly, and so smartly that you would have felt very dumb because you had to look up every third word in the dictionary (maybe that last part is just me)...Sorry Rusty
All I could think of, when reading your post, was that "degredated ebonite" sounds like the name of a metal band.
A Word Is Worth A Thousand Pictures

Dort wo Du einen Pfeifenraucher siehst, findest Du einen guten Freund.

Broccoli over mushrooms.

User avatar
JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Posts: 5543
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by JMG » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:35 pm

elimtaft wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:20 pm
JMG wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:32 pm
elimtaft wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:56 am
Not a purchase exactly, but a place to put them :) I'm sure I still don't have many pipes compared to some of you, but my collection finally got big enough that it wouldn't find in my old case anymore. So I decided to build something that reminds me of the pipe shops.

Image
In Rusty's name I scold you for putting your pipes on the wall like some irresponsible hippie. Enjoy your oxidized stems. Enjoy the dust of degredated ebonite in your mouth. * Rusty would've said this less rudely, more elegantly, and so smartly that you would have felt very dumb because you had to look up every third word in the dictionary (maybe that last part is just me)...Sorry Rusty
All I could think of, when reading your post, was that "degredated ebonite" sounds like the name of a metal band.
Yeah, it does.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 3336
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:43 pm

JMG wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:32 pm
elimtaft wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:56 am
Not a purchase exactly, but a place to put them :) I'm sure I still don't have many pipes compared to some of you, but my collection finally got big enough that it wouldn't find in my old case anymore. So I decided to build something that reminds me of the pipe shops.

Image
In Rusty's name I scold you for putting your pipes on the wall like some irresponsible hippie. Enjoy your oxidized stems. Enjoy the dust of degredated ebonite in your mouth. * Rusty would've said this less rudely, more elegantly, and so smartly that you would have felt very dumb because you had to look up every third word in the dictionary (maybe that last part is just me)...Sorry Rusty
Haha that was the first thing I thought of. Also, once I posted a picture of the few jars that make up my cellar on a shelf in my "man cave" and Rusty scolded me via PM, "Only Americans display their tobacco like that." lol
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 7014
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:17 am

So I shared a little of this story in the "What are you working on" thread, but now that the pipe is done I wanted to post a pic. so here are some of the details repeated.

The last exchange I had with Rusty was about purchasing pipes. I stated I was done buying for a while, but I still looked on line and sometimes in the pipe shop. Rusty told me that if I felt I had enough for now, I should quit looking, because looking leads to bidding and that leads to more pipes. He wasn't talking me out of buying pipes, but he was clear that if I wanted to hold off, that my looking was not the way to not buy more pipes.

I assured him that I had it under control...sure I did...I then had to admit to him that I had placed a bid that I was sure would be over bid and then it wasn't...as he had warned me, looking, led to bidding, led to buying.

This is the pipe I "accidentally" bought. It is a COMOY St. James Billiard. The stem was oxidized and the finish was cruddy. Here it is now. I have some Pipe Wax from the tobacco fairy that will get applied, but I was eager to smoke it last night. So I took a picture and smoked some Presbyterian Mixture.
Image
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Post Reply