Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Post Reply
User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 20360
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by FredS » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:01 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:17 am
So I shared a little of this story in the "What are you working on" thread, but now that the pipe is done I wanted to post a pic. so here are some of the details repeated.

The last exchange I had with Rusty was about purchasing pipes. I stated I was done buying for a while, but I still looked on line and sometimes in the pipe shop. Rusty told me that if I felt I had enough for now, I should quit looking, because looking leads to bidding and that leads to more pipes. He wasn't talking me out of buying pipes, but he was clear that if I wanted to hold off, that my looking was not the way to not buy more pipes.

I assured him that I had it under control...sure I did...I then had to admit to him that I had placed a bid that I was sure would be over bid and then it wasn't...as he had warned me, looking, led to bidding, led to buying.

This is the pipe I "accidentally" bought. It is a COMOY St. James Billiard. The stem was oxidized and the finish was cruddy. Here it is now. I have some Pipe Wax from the tobacco fairy that will get applied, but I was eager to smoke it last night. So I took a picture and smoked some Presbyterian Mixture.
Image
nice
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5183
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:21 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:01 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:17 am
So I shared a little of this story in the "What are you working on" thread, but now that the pipe is done I wanted to post a pic. so here are some of the details repeated.

The last exchange I had with Rusty was about purchasing pipes. I stated I was done buying for a while, but I still looked on line and sometimes in the pipe shop. Rusty told me that if I felt I had enough for now, I should quit looking, because looking leads to bidding and that leads to more pipes. He wasn't talking me out of buying pipes, but he was clear that if I wanted to hold off, that my looking was not the way to not buy more pipes.

I assured him that I had it under control...sure I did...I then had to admit to him that I had placed a bid that I was sure would be over bid and then it wasn't...as he had warned me, looking, led to bidding, led to buying.

This is the pipe I "accidentally" bought. It is a COMOY St. James Billiard. The stem was oxidized and the finish was cruddy. Here it is now. I have some Pipe Wax from the tobacco fairy that will get applied, but I was eager to smoke it last night. So I took a picture and smoked some Presbyterian Mixture.
Image
nice
Beautiful pipe, BH.
Great photo, too!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8824
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:55 am

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:21 pm
FredS wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:01 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:17 am
So I shared a little of this story in the "What are you working on" thread, but now that the pipe is done I wanted to post a pic. so here are some of the details repeated.

The last exchange I had with Rusty was about purchasing pipes. I stated I was done buying for a while, but I still looked on line and sometimes in the pipe shop. Rusty told me that if I felt I had enough for now, I should quit looking, because looking leads to bidding and that leads to more pipes. He wasn't talking me out of buying pipes, but he was clear that if I wanted to hold off, that my looking was not the way to not buy more pipes.

I assured him that I had it under control...sure I did...I then had to admit to him that I had placed a bid that I was sure would be over bid and then it wasn't...as he had warned me, looking, led to bidding, led to buying.

This is the pipe I "accidentally" bought. It is a COMOY St. James Billiard. The stem was oxidized and the finish was cruddy. Here it is now. I have some Pipe Wax from the tobacco fairy that will get applied, but I was eager to smoke it last night. So I took a picture and smoked some Presbyterian Mixture.
Image
nice
Beautiful pipe, BH.
Great photo, too!
Very nice Comoy, pic, and story. Presbyterian Mix is good too.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 7567
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:53 am

Goose55 wrote:A Savinelli Deluxe Milano with gold stem bar I just cleaned up. Stem was very badly oxidized and took some time to restore it...

Image
I need to restore some of my pipes, I am in the habit of just smoking old oxidized pipes, like half of my stems have a tint haha


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 5930
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:00 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:53 am
Goose55 wrote:A Savinelli Deluxe Milano with gold stem bar I just cleaned up. Stem was very badly oxidized and took some time to restore it...

Image
I need to restore some of my pipes, I am in the habit of just smoking old oxidized pipes, like half of my stems have a tint haha


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know it will seem to some that this is a no no, but I soak badly oxidized vulcanite stems in lacquer thinner. It softens the oxidation so that it can be easily scrubbed off. And then lightly sanded, then polished with automotive swirl mark remover. And vulcanite stems must be kept waxed or they will re-oxidize.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 pm
Location: Flyover Country

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by StoicDetective » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:29 am

My pipe rack is full once again (grand total of 4 pipes again :lol:).
I bought a Wessex Standard 218 Billiard. I just can't seem to get away from the Billiard shape, I like the shape too much.
I'll try to post a picture later.

I just couldn't pull the trigger on a cob,
StoicDetective wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:04 am
I know this is going to stir the pot here at CPS (based on past history).

But, I am at an impasse; I broke a pipe the other day and wanting to replace it. Trolling around the internet and here at CPS, I have started to look at cob/mm pipes. These style of pipes are definitely new to me; never have owned or smoked one.

I like the pricing of cob/mm, but I am wondering about how well this style of pipes burn and effect the taste of the tobacco.
"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." -- S. Spade

User avatar
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Posts: 6075
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: VA

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:43 pm

Missed out by 1 second and $2.50 on an old Upshall long shanked estate Sunday night.

But the mail delivered a Savinelli De Luxe Milano estate I did manage to purchase last week.
The stem is not original, but it appears to have been professionally replaced recently.
The cell phone pic makes the stain appear redder than it actually is.
Image
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5183
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:48 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:43 pm
Missed out by 1 second and $2.50 on an old Upshall long shanked estate Sunday night.

But the mail delivered a Savinelli De Luxe Milano estate I did manage to purchase last week.
The stem is not original, but it appears to have been professionally replaced recently.
The cell phone pic makes the stain appear redder than it actually is.
Image
Lovely Canadian, JudgeRusty!
Enjoy it.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 6901
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:37 pm

Judge, That is a very nice looking Canadian. Did you have to clean it up or was it in that condition?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 3271
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:39 pm

Bloodhound wrote:Judge, That is a very nice looking Canadian. Did you have to clean it up or was it in that condition?
Are we talking about me?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 4627
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by dennisthemenace » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:41 pm

Bought a Missouri Meerschaum Devil Anse to give my younger son, as he likes small pipes for work breaks.

https://corncobpipe.com/little-devil-acorn.html
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

User avatar
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Posts: 6075
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: VA

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:52 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:37 pm
Judge, That is a very nice looking Canadian. Did you have to clean it up or was it in that condition?
I opened the box and through lots of bubble wrap I perceived I had been sent the wrong pipe. There appeared to be a Meerschaum in about a Group 3 size inside. After peeling back the layers, I discovered the pipe had been mummy wrapped with tissue wrapping paper and taped tightly--same for the stem, separately.

This picture was taken straight after opening the package. I just gave the inside a bourbon bath and the pipe cleaners were barely soiled when I finished.

I notice that this pipe seems very light in the hand; I may weigh it on the tobacco scale tomorrow at nearby shop. It is a bit over 6 inches total; I don't know what a light vs heavy weight would be for it.

The stem has one tiny tooth mark on the top and bottom near the button but looks almost new. The rim has 6 or 8 dings on one side which shows that an owner tapped this pipe on something firmer than the heel of Hugo's shoe a few times.

Otherwise, this pipe is in great condition. I had planned to have it buffed at Milans when it arrived, but I am not sure it could be improved much. I will report on the performance after tomorrow's smoke. The chamber diameter is slightly larger than my usual ideal, but we shall see.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 5930
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:36 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:39 pm
Bloodhound wrote:Judge, That is a very nice looking Canadian. Did you have to clean it up or was it in that condition?
Are we talking about me?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Ha! Good one, Rev.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
Posts: 33109
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: The beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:21 am

I keep forgetting to snap a picture, but does anyone remember the Mark Price (Fiddlestix) pipe with the tuxedo-stem that was part of the Smokingpipes seven day set focused on exceptional stem work? While I don't own that pipe, I own it's partner pipe with the same stem and exposed plateau on the broad rim. Hands down my most expensive pipe purchase.

It's okay to be jealous.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by hugodrax » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:39 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:21 am
I keep forgetting to snap a picture, but does anyone remember the Mark Price (Fiddlestix) pipe with the tuxedo-stem that was part of the Smokingpipes seven day set focused on exceptional stem work? While I don't own that pipe, I own it's partner pipe with the same stem and exposed plateau on the broad rim. Hands down my most expensive pipe purchase.

It's okay to be jealous.
Can't be jealous yet because I have no clue what you're talking about.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14249
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Cleon » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:58 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:39 am
Irish-Dane wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:21 am
I keep forgetting to snap a picture, but does anyone remember the Mark Price (Fiddlestix) pipe with the tuxedo-stem that was part of the Smokingpipes seven day set focused on exceptional stem work? While I don't own that pipe, I own it's partner pipe with the same stem and exposed plateau on the broad rim. Hands down my most expensive pipe purchase.

It's okay to be jealous.
Can't be jealous yet because I have no clue what you're talking about.
+1

Photos, please.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 6901
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:27 am

I too need the pic before the greenness will abound
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
Posts: 33109
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: The beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:47 am

It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

User avatar
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
Posts: 33109
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: The beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:49 am

Here's the pipe.

Now imagine a much prettier pipe. That's all I can offer here at work.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by hugodrax » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:10 pm

Ah. Thanks for the picture. Pretty pipe, but not my wheelhouse. You should know that I have not jealousy, but happiness, that you own and love your version.

JimVH, on the other hand, is a slavering monster right now. You should appease him, probably. That boy likes himself a dublin.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Post Reply