Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
User avatar
JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Posts: 22755
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by JimVH » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:27 pm

That's badass, Johnny. Congratulations.

User avatar
JMG
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year
Posts: 6072
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by JMG » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:32 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:23 pm

I got the tomatoes cousin, the egg!

Image
You make that pipe look good, Johnny!
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8453
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:36 pm

JMG wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:23 pm

I got the tomatoes cousin, the egg!

Image
You make that pipe look good, Johnny!
Thanks, it has grown on me quite a bit, feels fantastic in the hand, I call it El Huevo! So what’s next, you gonna stick with the food theme and make an apple, or perhaps a zucchini!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

User avatar
JMG
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year
Posts: 6072
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by JMG » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:39 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:36 pm
JMG wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:23 pm

I got the tomatoes cousin, the egg!

Image
You make that pipe look good, Johnny!
Thanks, it has grown on me quite a bit, feels fantastic in the hand, I call it El Huevo! So what’s next, you gonna stick with the food theme and make an apple, or perhaps a zucchini!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Literally polishing one up right now. I'll probably post some pics in a while. Not food themed this time though.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8453
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:40 pm

JMG wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:36 pm
JMG wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:23 pm

I got the tomatoes cousin, the egg!

Image
You make that pipe look good, Johnny!
Thanks, it has grown on me quite a bit, feels fantastic in the hand, I call it El Huevo! So what’s next, you gonna stick with the food theme and make an apple, or perhaps a zucchini!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Literally polishing one up right now. I'll probably post some pics in a while. Not food themed this time though.
Acorn squash would make a good pipe shape!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 8413
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Goose55 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:23 pm

CPSer JoeGoat just about has my commissioned pipe finished. Here, after sanding the high contrast black off the pipe, and before the color stain. The Ebonite stem yet needs bending and finishing, as well. This is a big one w/ a 1-inch chamber diameter, 2 - 1/8 inches deep.

Image
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
ryland
More of this
More of this
Posts: 3491
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:00 pm

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by ryland » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:37 pm

Image
Image
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6590
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by durangopipe » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:43 pm

ryland wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:37 pm
Image
Image
Both of ‘em!
Fantastic. Classics.

The Comoy’s is a truly wonderful pipe.
What brand is the bulldog?
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
ryland
More of this
More of this
Posts: 3491
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:00 pm

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by ryland » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:07 pm

Both
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:43 pm
ryland wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:37 pm
Image
Image
Both of ‘em!
Fantastic. Classics.

The Comoy’s is a truly wonderful pipe.
What brand is the bulldog?
Both are Comoys. I had an everyman Comoy that I wish I would have never sold. I'm glad to get another one.

I put a low bid on Ebay and never got countered. I got both pipes for less than $38 with combined shipping.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6590
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by durangopipe » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:50 pm

ryland wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:07 pm
Both
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:43 pm
ryland wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:37 pm
Image
Image
Both of ‘em!
Fantastic. Classics.

The Comoy’s is a truly wonderful pipe.
What brand is the bulldog?
Both are Comoys. I had an everyman Comoy that I wish I would have never sold. I'm glad to get another one.

I put a low bid on Ebay and never got countered. I got both pipes for less than $38 with combined shipping.
Incredible deal!

My first pipe was a Comoy’s “Thames” 409 (bent bulldog) that my son gave me now some 25 years ago. Since then, I’ve acquired some more Comoy’s pipes. I think I have around 10, and all of them are terrific pipes.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
ryland
More of this
More of this
Posts: 3491
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:00 pm

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by ryland » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:22 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:50 pm
ryland wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:07 pm
Both
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:43 pm
ryland wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:37 pm
Image
Image
Both of ‘em!
Fantastic. Classics.

The Comoy’s is a truly wonderful pipe.
What brand is the bulldog?
Both are Comoys. I had an everyman Comoy that I wish I would have never sold. I'm glad to get another one.

I put a low bid on Ebay and never got countered. I got both pipes for less than $38 with combined shipping.
Incredible deal!

My first pipe was a Comoy’s “Thames” 409 (bent bulldog) that my son gave me now some 25 years ago. Since then, I’ve acquired some more Comoy’s pipes. I think I have around 10, and all of them are terrific pipes.
I should have looked closer at that second Comoy. It's a Prince of Wales, made by Comoy. I love the straight bulldog shape.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 8413
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Goose55 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:52 am

This is my latest pipe purchase. A large commissioned pipe made by our JoeGoat. Over 7 inches long with a 1-inch diameter chamber, 2 - 1/8th inches deep....

Image
Image
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6590
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:02 pm

Seems a little funny posting these after Goose's stunning Joe Goat pipe.

These pipes were not purchased, but they're new to me. I went to the range to shoot with some buddies on Tuesday, and one of my friends handed me three estate pipes he'd fallen into. He no longer smokes a pipe, so he gave them to me.

All were in pretty rough shape. The stems were pretty chewed up and badly oxidized. The bowls were thickly caked up, and the rims were charred. The plateau on the Eriksen was completely filled in with black tar and char.

I've cleaned up two of them so far.

This one is an Eriksen (Nording Second).
Image



This one is a no-name basket pipe.
Image

The stummel was loaded with fills that had lost their red-brown stain and stuck out like a sore thumb. The grain was mostly blank. And the finish was a thick coat of shiny lacquer. I decided to rusticate it.

The third one is another basket billiard. I'll likely clean it up this weekend.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 8350
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:50 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:02 pm
Seems a little funny posting these after Goose's stunning Joe Goat pipe.

These pipes were not purchased, but they're new to me. I went to the range to shoot with some buddies on Tuesday, and one of my friends handed me three estate pipes he'd fallen into. He no longer smokes a pipe, so he gave them to me.

All were in pretty rough shape. The stems were pretty chewed up and badly oxidized. The bowls were thickly caked up, and the rims were charred. The plateau on the Eriksen was completely filled in with black tar and char.

I've cleaned up two of them so far.

This one is an Eriksen (Nording Second).
Image



This one is a no-name basket pipe.
Image

The stummel was loaded with fills that had lost their red-brown stain and stuck out like a sore thumb. The grain was mostly blank. And the finish was a thick coat of shiny lacquer. I decided to rusticate it.

The third one is another basket billiard. I'll likely clean it up this weekend.
Very Nice! Good work on getting them back into use.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 8413
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Goose55 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:02 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:52 am
This is my latest pipe purchase. A large commissioned pipe made by our JoeGoat. Over 7 inches long with a 1-inch diameter chamber, 2 - 1/8th inches deep....

Image
Image
Still carefully cake building this new JoeGoat pipe. Setting it down whenever I suspect it may be getting too warm. Still tamping only the center and relighting the outer tobacco that gets rolled up. Its really cool how this is working, seeing the ring of embers at each relight, and the cake building evenly all the way down the bowl.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 8413
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Goose55 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:03 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:52 am
This is my latest pipe purchase. A large commissioned pipe made by our JoeGoat. Over 7 inches long with a 1-inch diameter chamber, 2 - 1/8th inches deep....

Image
Image
Still carefully cake building this new JoeGoat pipe. Setting it down whenever I suspect it may be getting too warm. Still tamping only the center and relighting the outer tobacco that gets rolled up. Its really cool how this is working, seeing the ring of embers at each relight, and the cake building evenly all the way down the bowl.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter
Posts: 18127
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:03 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:52 am
This is my latest pipe purchase. A large commissioned pipe made by our JoeGoat. Over 7 inches long with a 1-inch diameter chamber, 2 - 1/8th inches deep....

Image
Image
Still carefully cake building this new JoeGoat pipe. Setting it down whenever I suspect it may be getting too warm. Still tamping only the center and relighting the outer tobacco that gets rolled up. Its really cool how this is working, seeing the ring of embers at each relight, and the cake building evenly all the way down the bowl.
Have we seen that pipe before or do all of your pipes look the same?
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 8413
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Goose55 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:14 am

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:19 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:03 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:52 am
This is my latest pipe purchase. A large commissioned pipe made by our JoeGoat. Over 7 inches long with a 1-inch diameter chamber, 2 - 1/8th inches deep....

Image
Image
Still carefully cake building this new JoeGoat pipe. Setting it down whenever I suspect it may be getting too warm. Still tamping only the center and relighting the outer tobacco that gets rolled up. Its really cool how this is working, seeing the ring of embers at each relight, and the cake building evenly all the way down the bowl.
Have we seen that pipe before or do all of your pipes look the same?
I have 3 that are all that Scoop shape. This is the third, and largest. She's a beaut, isn't she?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter
Posts: 18127
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:30 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:14 am
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:19 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:03 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:52 am
This is my latest pipe purchase. A large commissioned pipe made by our JoeGoat. Over 7 inches long with a 1-inch diameter chamber, 2 - 1/8th inches deep....

Image
Image
Still carefully cake building this new JoeGoat pipe. Setting it down whenever I suspect it may be getting too warm. Still tamping only the center and relighting the outer tobacco that gets rolled up. Its really cool how this is working, seeing the ring of embers at each relight, and the cake building evenly all the way down the bowl.
Have we seen that pipe before or do all of your pipes look the same?
I have 3 that are all that Scoop shape. This is the third, and largest. She's a beaut, isn't she?
I haven’t seen it enough times to commit, but that Birdseye does look good.
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

User avatar
Adam Z
Elder
Elder
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 9:35 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Adam Z » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:04 pm

I visited my local B&M store today, and walked out the door as the proud owner of a Nording freehand. I was eyeballing this pipe about 2 months ago. Now I'll be looking at it a lot more often Image

ImageImage

Still trying to decide what will be the first smoke in it. This has a pretty large chamber compared to my other pipes. Leaning toward loading it up with GH Brown Flake unscented. That should make for a nice, long smoke.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk



Post Reply