Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by JimVH » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:27 pm

That's badass, Johnny. Congratulations.

JMG
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year

Post by JMG » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:32 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:23 pm

I got the tomatoes cousin, the egg!

You make that pipe look good, Johnny!
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:36 pm

JMG wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

Thanks, it has grown on me quite a bit, feels fantastic in the hand, I call it El Huevo! So what’s next, you gonna stick with the food theme and make an apple, or perhaps a zucchini!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

JMG

Post by JMG » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:39 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:36 pm
JMG wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

Thanks, it has grown on me quite a bit, feels fantastic in the hand, I call it El Huevo! So what’s next, you gonna stick with the food theme and make an apple, or perhaps a zucchini!

Literally polishing one up right now. I'll probably post some pics in a while. Not food themed this time though.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:40 pm

JMG wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:36 pm
JMG wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

Literally polishing one up right now. I'll probably post some pics in a while. Not food themed this time though.
Acorn squash would make a good pipe shape!

Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:23 pm

CPSer JoeGoat just about has my commissioned pipe finished. Here, after sanding the high contrast black off the pipe, and before the color stain. The Ebonite stem yet needs bending and finishing, as well. This is a big one w/ a 1-inch chamber diameter, 2 - 1/8 inches deep.

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:37 pm

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:43 pm

ryland wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:37 pm
Both of ‘em!
Fantastic. Classics.

The Comoy’s is a truly wonderful pipe.
What brand is the bulldog?
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:07 pm

Both
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:43 pm
ryland wrote:
Both of ‘em!
Fantastic. Classics.

Both are Comoys. I had an everyman Comoy that I wish I would have never sold. I'm glad to get another one.

I put a low bid on Ebay and never got countered. I got both pipes for less than $38 with combined shipping.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:50 pm

ryland wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:07 pm
Both
durangopipe wrote:
ryland wrote:
Both of ‘em!
Fantastic. Classics.

Both are Comoys. I had an everyman Comoy that I wish I would have never sold. I'm glad to get another one.

I put a low bid on Ebay and never got countered. I got both pipes for less than $38 with combined shipping.
Incredible deal!

My first pipe was a Comoy’s “Thames” 409 (bent bulldog) that my son gave me now some 25 years ago. Since then, I’ve acquired some more Comoy’s pipes. I think I have around 10, and all of them are terrific pipes.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:22 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:50 pm
ryland wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:07 pm
Both
durangopipe wrote:
ryland wrote:
Both of ‘em!
Fantastic. Classics.

Incredible deal!

My first pipe was a Comoy’s “Thames” 409 (bent bulldog) that my son gave me now some 25 years ago. Since then, I’ve acquired some more Comoy’s pipes. I think I have around 10, and all of them are terrific pipes.
I should have looked closer at that second Comoy. It's a Prince of Wales, made by Comoy. I love the straight bulldog shape.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:52 am

This is my latest pipe purchase. A large commissioned pipe made by our JoeGoat. Over 7 inches long with a 1-inch diameter chamber, 2 - 1/8th inches deep....

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:02 pm

Seems a little funny posting these after Goose's stunning Joe Goat pipe.

These pipes were not purchased, but they're new to me. I went to the range to shoot with some buddies on Tuesday, and one of my friends handed me three estate pipes he'd fallen into. He no longer smokes a pipe, so he gave them to me.

All were in pretty rough shape. The stems were pretty chewed up and badly oxidized. The bowls were thickly caked up, and the rims were charred. The plateau on the Eriksen was completely filled in with black tar and char.

I've cleaned up two of them so far.

This one is an Eriksen (Nording Second).

This one is a no-name basket pipe.

The stummel was loaded with fills that had lost their red-brown stain and stuck out like a sore thumb. The grain was mostly blank. And the finish was a thick coat of shiny lacquer. I decided to rusticate it.

The third one is another basket billiard. I'll likely clean it up this weekend.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:50 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:02 pm
Seems a little funny posting these after Goose's stunning Joe Goat pipe.

These pipes were not purchased, but they're new to me. I went to the range to shoot with some buddies on Tuesday, and one of my friends handed me three estate pipes he'd fallen into. He no longer smokes a pipe, so he gave them to me.

All were in pretty rough shape. The stems were pretty chewed up and badly oxidized. The bowls were thickly caked up, and the rims were charred. The plateau on the Eriksen was completely filled in with black tar and char.

I've cleaned up two of them so far.

This one is an Eriksen (Nording Second).

This one is a no-name basket pipe.

The stummel was loaded with fills that had lost their red-brown stain and stuck out like a sore thumb. The grain was mostly blank. And the finish was a thick coat of shiny lacquer. I decided to rusticate it.

The third one is another basket billiard. I'll likely clean it up this weekend.
Very Nice! Good work on getting them back into use.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:02 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:52 am
This is my latest pipe purchase. A large commissioned pipe made by our JoeGoat. Over 7 inches long with a 1-inch diameter chamber, 2 - 1/8th inches deep....

Still carefully cake building this new JoeGoat pipe. Setting it down whenever I suspect it may be getting too warm. Still tamping only the center and relighting the outer tobacco that gets rolled up. Its really cool how this is working, seeing the ring of embers at each relight, and the cake building evenly all the way down the bowl.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:03 pm

Goose55 wrote:

Still carefully cake building this new JoeGoat pipe. Setting it down whenever I suspect it may be getting too warm. Still tamping only the center and relighting the outer tobacco that gets rolled up. Its really cool how this is working, seeing the ring of embers at each relight, and the cake building evenly all the way down the bowl.

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:03 pm
Goose55 wrote:

Have we seen that pipe before or do all of your pipes look the same?
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:14 am

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:19 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

I have 3 that are all that Scoop shape. This is the third, and largest. She's a beaut, isn't she?

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:30 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:14 am
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:19 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

I have 3 that are all that Scoop shape. This is the third, and largest. She's a beaut, isn't she?
I haven’t seen it enough times to commit, but that Birdseye does look good.
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

Adam Z
Elder
Elder

Post by Adam Z » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:04 pm

I visited my local B&M store today, and walked out the door as the proud owner of a Nording freehand. I was eyeballing this pipe about 2 months ago. Now I'll be looking at it a lot more often Image

ImageImage

Still trying to decide what will be the first smoke in it. This has a pretty large chamber compared to my other pipes. Leaning toward loading it up with GH Brown Flake unscented. That should make for a nice, long smoke.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk