Goose55 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:14 am
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:19 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:03 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:52 am
This is my latest pipe purchase. A large commissioned pipe made by our JoeGoat. Over 7 inches long with a 1-inch diameter chamber, 2 - 1/8th inches deep....

Still carefully cake building this new JoeGoat pipe. Setting it down whenever I suspect it may be getting too warm. Still tamping only the center and relighting the outer tobacco that gets rolled up. Its really cool how this is working, seeing the ring of embers at each relight, and the cake building evenly all the way down the bowl.
Have we seen that pipe before or do all of your pipes look the same?
I have 3 that are all that Scoop shape. This is the third, and largest. She's a beaut, isn't she?
I haven’t seen it enough times to commit, but that Birdseye does look good.
:lol:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:29 am

JimVH should like this Tilshead Dublin. Larger chamber than I usually prefer, but smokes well. I have not determined what Mr. Jones saw to keep this one from being graded.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:34 am

This was a Christmas gift. Very light and easy to clinch for extended time. It is from Savinelli's "hand made" line with which I am not familiar.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:15 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:29 am
JimVH should like this Tilshead Dublin. Larger chamber than I usually prefer, but smokes well. I have not determined what Mr. Jones saw to keep this one from being graded.
Jim is not the only one who likes this pipe...it is a beauty for sure...Congrats
Scott ( aka - Thor )

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:18 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
That is a beautiful pipe.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:10 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:18 am
JudgeRusty wrote:
That is a beautiful pipe.
Both pipes are beauties, judge.
Enjoy ‘em!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:09 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:14 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:30 am
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
This is my latest pipe purchase. A large commissioned pipe made by our JoeGoat. Over 7 inches long with a 1-inch diameter chamber, 2 - 1/8th inches deep....

Still carefully cake building this new JoeGoat pipe. Setting it down whenever I suspect it may be getting too warm. Still tamping only the center and relighting the outer tobacco that gets rolled up. Its really cool how this is working, seeing the ring of embers at each relight, and the cake building evenly all the way down the bowl.
I have 3 that are all that Scoop shape. This is the third, and largest. She's a beaut, isn't she?

Yes, they are very nice, but no puppies. Not a single one that I can see. Saddened by that. I would get a magnifying glass to search more closely but I prefer not to.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:49 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:09 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:14 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:30 am
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Yes, they are very nice, but no puppies. Not a single one that I can see. Saddened by that. I would get a magnifying glass to search more closely but I prefer not to.
Someone put words in my post...

Anyway, Goose those pipes are so nice you don't need puppies or kittens...
Scott ( aka - Thor )

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:47 pm

Goose fouled (fowled?) up the vortex so his comment appear to be yours.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:45 pm

I'm waiting for my boy blue to drop the price on this Pete I've been scoping out.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:23 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:47 pm
So you’re saying Goose is responsible for the deep freeze?
I was wondering who fouled up the vortex.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:42 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:23 pm
FredS wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:47 pm
So you’re saying Goose is responsible for the deep freeze?
I was wondering who fouled up the vortex.
DAN wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:12 pm
That was brutal.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Adam Z
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Adam Z » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:35 am

Got an email newsletter from Chris Morgan - new Bones pipes in stock. So I've got a bent bulldog on the way:

I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:23 pm

The mailman delivered my Savinelli Tortuga Smooth 614 today. I bought a Roma last week and loved that thing, so I ordered this one. It's not my usual style of pipe shape but it's working out real well so far because I like a little bowl smoke in my face. I'm breaking it in with Pirate Kake right now. It is strange but neither the Romo or this pipe seem to really need breaking in. I really like it.

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:40 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:23 pm
The mailman delivered my Savinelli Tortuga Smooth 614 today. I bought a Roma last week and loved that thing, so I ordered this one. It's not my usual style of pipe shape but it's working out real well so far because I like a little bowl smoke in my face. I'm breaking it in with Pirate Kake right now. It is strange but neither the Romo or this pipe seem to really need breaking in. I really like it.

Lovely, Stanley.
Enjoy it!

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:26 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:23 pm

Nice Stanley. Most all my pipes are full bent.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Adam Z
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Adam Z » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:02 pm

Enjoying my Bones lovat so much, I ordered a second one this morning.
I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:26 am

The rough cut from the block of the most recent pipe JoeGoat made for me. Joey must have used a wide angle lens, up close, making the beginnings of the pipe look enormous. It's resting on his knee. Below pic is the finished work. Pipe ablaze in flame grain.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:28 pm

Recently acquired this Ben Wade Burnsbury massive Pot shaped pipe, but it had such a dark stain on it I decided to remove some of it, if I could. Before and after carefully removing much of the stain with a paper towel wetted with lacquer thinner. I was relieved to find there were no fills the pipe maker was trying to hide......

Adam Z
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Adam Z » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:46 am

A gentleman and brother in Christ from Maine who I met on Facebook knew that I had expressed interest in one day owning a Stanwell 11. As it happens, he collects Stanwell 11's, and he offered to send me one of his in a trade. I sent him a tin of Aperterif and 2 tins of EMP (his all-time favorite blend) and he sent me a well smoked Stanwell 11, along with some 1979 Half and Half, and a H. Upmann cuban cigar that he picked up at the duty free store at Heathrow while on a recent trip to England.

The pipe has some rim darkening, and is well-traveled - the note included declared "That stanwell has a hundred thousand miles on it. Been refurbished twice, been on 3 continents, back packs, glove boxes, suitcases, wool coat pockets in the arctic circle. and never had an aromatic through it. It's a traveling pipe, enjoy it in good health, take it with you."

It still has the original stem, and it smokes great. The weight distribution is nice - it clenches easier than I thought it would. I think this will join my Peterson 106 and the Rattray's Beltane's Fire rhodesian (which I lovingly refer to as "The Precious") as a favorite pipe.

I wonder why Stanwell doesn't seem to produce many 11's any longer? I suspect that given some time I may seek to acquire another of this shape.

SDG
- C.S. Lewis