Pipe and other hardware related discussions
micah
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by micah » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:58 pm

Rusty wrote:
micah wrote:
Rusty wrote:
micah wrote:Well, for someone who has gone from 1 cheap pipe to 9 pipes total in about a week. I'm doing pretty good, I think. But can only offer that I have 3 petersons.
1 - Bulldog (early 2000's)
2- Sytem Standard 317
3- Donegal "Rocky"

If anyone can tell me a way to date these fairly accurately I'd appreciate it!

Micah
Get down on one knee ... and tell the pipe that you'd be honoured if it would accompany you to dinner/movie/ etc etc.... keep repeating over and over (for emphasis) that you're not married to a Dunhill and that green is a natural colour for pipes... from Ireland. Don't forget to bring flowers (or at least processed tobacco leaves).

No sneaky stuff in the back seat! Or you'll find yourself sitting alone with a load of ash on your head.
I always keep my hands to myself on the first date! Now...the rest of the parts of my body...... :P
You use your knee? EIIIIYA! I can't look.
That's gross! Get your mind out of the gutter! Knee! Eewwww...Now, elbows...now were talkin!!

Walkman
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Walkman » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:41 am

I just ordered a Peterson System Smooth #307. I've been wanting to get one of these for some time. I've always liked the 307 shape and have never owned a Peterson System pipe before. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
“The smoke, like burning incense, tow´rs; So should a praying heart of yours, With ardent cries, Surmount the skies. Thus think, and smoke tobacco.” Ralph Erskine

micah
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by micah » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:34 pm

Walkman wrote:I just ordered a Peterson System Smooth #307. I've been wanting to get one of these for some time. I've always liked the 307 shape and have never owned a Peterson System pipe before. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
If you don't like that 307, LET ME KNOW! I've been smoking my 317 for a few day now and love it! I could always use a 307....Image

bean_counter
Assesor of Mental Health Coverage
Assesor of Mental Health Coverage

Post by bean_counter » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:28 pm

Bought a 1994 estate 221 Deuxe this weekend. Nice shape, smaller bowl - this one will be for Va's. Bought a couple of oz of Bracken flake bulk to go with it.

I really like the old medium/dark finish Deluxe pipes; going to look for a few more estates.
"It's the mark of civilized defecation" - hugodrax

"Perhaps Waste Should Be Left to the Professionals" - John-Boy

hagley
Congregation
Congregation

Post by hagley » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:16 am

I have a 1974 Deluxe XL90 that I might be willing to part with for the right price.

Mike Hagley
TheDuke wrote:I have none,but if you ever decide to part with a '74 LMK! :wink:

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:32 am

My first Peterson was bought at Sievert's on Barrington Street in Halifax back in 2005. It's a 999 shape bent Rhodesian sterling silver with burgundy stain. It's a beautiful pipe. In fact, it was one of the first pipes I bought and it cost me $175.00 Cdn. That was a lot of money for me back then, and of still is!

It's not dedicated to any one type of tobbaco, but Va's and Aro's do well in it.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:50 pm

I have three:
Donegal Rocky 999
303 Standard System smooth finish -- aromatics
303 Standard System rusticated finish -- latakia blends

The Donegal Rocky hasn't found a tobacco it likes to smoke. Not sure what the problem is with it. It smokes wet no matter what. I've opened up the airway from bowl to bit and that helped some but it still tends to gurgle. I like the look of the 999 shape but I'm not so sure the engineering is sound. Mine has a shallow sump similar to a system pipe and the airway is drilled on the upper portion of the mortise. I know a lot of folks are big fans of Peterson pipes but I'm not convinced that the engineering is the best for the money.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: Mining for Pete's - Whatchya Got?

Post by UncleBob » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:15 pm

I have several and they have been smoking well lately. This is my latest:
Kildare SB B42.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:04 pm

What a delightful zombie thread!
I currently have five Petersons-----
A nearly burned out Shannon a Peterson Product 606(?) pot. My first Peterson bought in the early 70's from The Tinderbox. Retired.
A Standard System 301, bought to replace the 308 swiped from my car in Santa Cruz, CA in the late 70's
Two Standard System 303s, one smooth(from Out West Tobacconist), the other rusticated(from Pipes and Cigars, IIRC)
The latest, a very fine straight bulldog with a sterling band, a much appreciated gift from a CPS'er
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:55 am

Nice zombie thread.

As I read through this, I think I may have found the one thing tobacco-related I have more of than Rusty. (Or anyone else who has posted here, for that matter.) Not sure exactly how many I have, but I know I crossed the 20 mark last year and have only added to it since. Might be time to sell a few, now that I think about it.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:47 am

I have a Donegal canadian and I think its my favorite pipe. Its the only pipe that seems to go with my face.
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:02 pm

Hovannes wrote:What a delightful zombie thread!
I currently have five Petersons-----
A nearly burned out Shannon a Peterson Product 606(?) pot. My first Peterson bought in the early 70's from The Tinderbox. Retired.
A Standard System 301, bought to replace the 308 swiped from my car in Santa Cruz, CA in the late 70's
Two Standard System 303s, one smooth(from Out West Tobacconist), the other rusticated(from Pipes and Cigars, IIRC)
The latest, a very fine straight bulldog with a sterling band, a much appreciated gift from a CPS'er
A system 308? Nobody around here even noticed that this is an odd thing to claim esp. in the 70's and doubly odd for you. System 308's were long gone in the 70's so there is a story here; why not tell us the story of your 308 find?

The 308 and I think the 358 were roughly the system standard equivalent shape to the Twain Deluxe shape. I think they were gone by the 70's. In 50's catalogs they do show up but sometime in the 60's I think they were gone. There is a URL for a 1965 Pete catalog in the library and the 308 shape is not in that catalog. So it's gone sometime between the late '50's and '65.
Irish-Dane wrote:I think I may have found the one thing tobacco-related I have more of than Rusty. (Or anyone else who has posted here, for that matter.) Not sure exactly how many I have, but I know I crossed the 20 mark last year and have only added to it since. Might be time to sell a few, now that I think about it.
Yep, that's more Pete's than I have. But mine are probably bigger than yours. :D
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:33 pm

Here's an update on mine:

System Standard, 301, 302, 305, 306 307, 308, 309, 312, 313 (2), 314, 315 (2), B42 EDIT: Left 317 out of the list.

Kinsale, XL11, XL12, XL13, XL14, XL20, XL23

Sherlock Holmes, Original, Baskerville

1 second that looks kinda like a SH Professor

1 Shamrock straight

1 999 shape, can't remember what it is, may be a Kildare

Really, really want a Kinsale XL18 - not currently in production
Last edited by Steverino on Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:33 pm

Rusty wrote:
A system 308? Nobody around here even noticed that this is an odd thing to claim esp. in the 70's and doubly odd for you. System 308's were long gone in the 70's so there is a story here; why not tell us the story of your 308 find?

The 308 and I think the 358 were roughly the system standard equivalent shape to the Twain Deluxe shape. I think they were gone by the 70's. In 50's catalogs they do show up but sometime in the 60's I think they were gone. There is a URL for a 1965 Pete catalog in the library and the 308 shape is not in that catalog. So it's gone sometime between the late '50's and '65.
It was sitting in a pipe shop IIRC in Carmel, CA. It was a fishtail if I'm not mistaken. I liked the shape and wanted a Peterson System. I had the $$ (rare in those days, but Peterson's weren't as expensive) and made it mine. Not long afterwards someone swiped it out of the glove box of my car. I couldn't find another 308 so I replaced it with a 301, which I still have.
Not much of a story, I'm afraid,
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:57 am

I have two Shannons:
A 03 which i bought directly from the Peterson store itself.
A 999 which ID made possible for me.

They are my two favourite pipes by far

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:27 am

I have an unbanded, non P-Lip Pererson Kapet 46 that I got in an antique shop for less than $10.
I also have a Peterson System 312 that I found in another antique shop for $5. What a steal!!!!
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:02 am

It looks like Steverino may have me beat. (I really should learn how to count.)

An interesting sidenote, I have consistently given away 5-10 "pipe kits" every year for probably eight years or so now. I would say about a third of those have been Petersons, another third Savinelli's, and the last third a spattering of random names. As close as I can guess, I've given away 20+ Petersons over that time. If I added those to my present stacks of green bags and boxes, that's a pretty lot. But the point of that count is that there are folks that make that number look pathetic. I've bought a few Pete's lately from a guy who owns over a thousand UNSMOKED Petersons. Insane.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:17 am

Irish-Dane wrote: I've bought a few Pete's lately from a guy who owns over a thousand UNSMOKED Petersons. Insane.
I've asked you not to talk about my collection publicly.

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:51 am

I didn't read the title close enough... thought this was going to be about Petey the dog.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:51 am

John-Boy wrote:I didn't read the title close enough... thought this was going to be about Petey the dog.
Strangely enough, that's why I avoided it the first time around but clicked on it this time.