Family Christian

Here's the place for Vendor Sales, business ads and EBay links
Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Family Christian

Post by Fainn » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:36 am

Not exactly pipe related, but the bankrupt company is closing all stores. Not sure when the last day they will be open, but they are no longer taking orders on the internet. Major discounts to be had.
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Re: Family Christian

Post by tuttle » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:32 am

Is it bad that a big part of me wants to say...good riddance.

I know closing stores is never a good thing, especially for those who lose their jobs. But I can't help but think of all the CRAP they (and other like stores) sell. I mean crappity crap crap crap.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:08 am

tuttle wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:32 am
Is it bad that a big part of me wants to say...good riddance.

I know closing stores is never a good thing, especially for those who lose their jobs. But I can't help but think of all the CRAP they (and other like stores) sell. I mean crappity crap crap crap.
When I was a kid, I walked in to one and asked the clerk if they had the Necronomicon. They didnt, but the clerk said they could get it in in a week. Considering the book never existed, I was highly impressed with the quality of the staff's sense of humor
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:09 am

I think we had a store in Madison.

I stepped in a decade ago, and they didn't even have any versions of the Catholic Bible in stock. No holy cards, or medals, or statues of saints... nothing.
They did have the toddler-sized Bibleman basketball hoop set.

There are a lot of Catholics in Madison, and we buy religious gifts for First Communion, Confirmation, holy days, and so on. I couldn't see how a Christian bookstore could survive, being so tone deaf to the Christian community. They didn't.

The "Catholic" store had books and supplies for Lutherans, some gifts for Evangelical children, etc. Even some lite spiritual reading for the New-Age Catholics. Also some Buddhist writings and such.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:14 am

Del wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:09 am

I stepped in a decade ago, and they didn't even have any versions of the Catholic Bible in stock. No holy cards, or medals, or statues of saints... nothing.

There are a lot of Catholics in Madison, and we buy religious gifts for First Communion, Confirmation, holy days, and so on. I couldn't see how a Christian bookstore could survive, being so tone deaf to the Christian community. They didn't.

The "Catholic" store had books and supplies for Lutherans, some gifts for Evangelical children, etc. Even some lite spiritual reading for the New-Age Catholics. Also some Buddhist writings and such.
Hey, Del. Why don't you double check the expiration date on your medications. You've managed to jump back into your "let's see how many CPSers we can piss off in the next couple hours" mode of operation.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:15 am

Del wrote:
You did buy it, right!?
Do you think they still carry this?
Will we be able to get a big discount due to store closing?
Most importantly, how much is shipping?
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:19 am

Skip wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:14 am
Del wrote:

Hey, Del. Why don't you double check the expiration date on your medications. You've managed to jump back into your "let's see how many CPSers we can piss off in the next couple hours" mode of operation.
Actually, depending on who wants to be offended, I remember walking in with my mother who was looking for a new rosary. She asked, only to be told they only carried Christian items.

You know, because we aren't Christians and all, we didn't get offended. Could have, though.

Del expresses himself badly, but this one I kind of get.

Del

Post by Del » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:20 am

TwoXseveN wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:15 am
Del wrote:
You did buy it, right!?
Do you think they still carry this?
Will we be able to get a big discount due to store closing?
Most importantly, how much is shipping?
Dang it, I didn't.

That long ago, I had never heard of "Bibleman." The toy kit was so hokey, I never dreamt that it might become a collector's item. It would be a hilarious thing to have now.

Wikipedia tells me that Bibleman was 1995 to 2010. That might have been before Ebay.... back in the days of dial-up internet. When Pipeson and Cigarson were playing with Power Rangers.

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:22 am

Skip wrote:
Del wrote:

Um, he actually revealed exactly my experience. Although I fear they may not have been tone deaf to their customer base. I think they sold that crap because that crap sells. Why sell red meat and beer when more people want candy? But the outcome is the same. Eventually people get sick of eating nothing but candy.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Del

Post by Del » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:26 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:19 am
Skip wrote:
Del wrote:

Actually, depending on who wants to be offended, I remember walking in with my mother who was looking for a new rosary. She asked, only to be told they only carried Christian items.

You know, because we aren't Christians and all, we didn't get offended. Could have, though.

It was a "Christian Store."

There aren't a whole bunch of Evangelicals in Madison. Plenty of Catholics and Lutherans, though.

If you want to run a specialty store, you ought know your customers and supply them with stuff they'll want to buy.

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:27 am

tuttle wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:22 am
Skip wrote:
Del wrote:

Um, he actually revealed exactly my experience. Although I fear they may not have been tone deaf to their customer base. I think they sold that crap because that crap sells. Why sell red meat and beer when more people want candy? But the outcome is the same. Eventually people get sick of eating nothing but candy.
Probably was these instead of Candy:

I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

Skip

Post by Skip » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:29 am

hugodrax wrote:
Skip wrote:
Del wrote:

Oh, I totally get it, too. A few years ago, I decided I wanted a rosary. I went to a nearby local "Christian" bookstore. Nope, didn't have it. Asked. They were smart enough not to say "we only carry Christian items", but their "we don't carry Catholic things" was nearly as bad.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

Skip

Post by Skip » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:30 am

Del wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:26 am
hugodrax wrote:
Skip wrote:
Del wrote:

It was a "Christian Store."

There aren't a whole bunch of Evangelicals in Madison. Plenty of Catholics and Lutherans, though.

If you want to run a specialty store, you ought know your customers and supply them with stuff they'll want to buy.
Apparently they DID know their customers, and you weren't one of them. Their loss.

Del

Post by Del » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:42 am

TwoXseveN wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:27 am
tuttle wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:22 am
Skip wrote:
Del wrote:

Probably was these instead of Candy:

I thought Catholics could do kitsch better than anyone, but this beats all. You can get Bibleman at Walmart.

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:46 am

FWIW the Family Christian stores around here all had a Catholic section. Mind, it was a small corner of the store, but it was there.
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Del

Post by Del » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:56 am

infidel wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:46 am
FWIW the Family Christian stores around here all had a Catholic section. Mind, it was a small corner of the store, but it was there.
Sort of what one would expect to find, right? Even a store down in the Bible Belt.

"Our Catholic friends invited us to the baptism of their new baby. What do you have for someone like that?"

-- "Well, here's a little statue of Mary holding Baby Jesus. They'll put that in the baby's room and be real happy. $8.99."

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:25 pm

infidel wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:46 am
Yeah, my local video rental shop has a small room in the back corner like that.

I'm sure Fainn didn't mean to pick this scab, but most CPS'ers probably feel like the typical "Christian Bookstore" offers a fairly lite version of the faith. The K-Love version. A few years ago I told my family that if any of them ever gives me a t-shirt or 'inspirational' poster from a Christian book store I'm writing them out of the will.

You want the heavy duty stuff? Visit the gift shop or book store of a teaching monastery. The only cheesy crap at the one I go to are some crosses made from square nails that one of the brothers there makes.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:27 pm

They had a decent music selection in the 80s and early 90s. But alas, the music has shifted.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:50 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:27 pm
They had a decent music selection in the 80s and early 90s. But alas, the music has shifted.
Good point. Come to think of it, the only reason I visited Christian bookstores in the past was to browse through the music or to buy a particular CD or something. That was because you couldn't go to a Sam Goody or something. It helped to fill a nice little niche. But yeah, music sucks now and the internet is filling the niche better than a Christian bookstore could.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:00 pm

Skip wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:29 am
hugodrax wrote:
Skip wrote:
Del wrote:

Oh, I totally get it, too. A few years ago, I decided I wanted a rosary. I went to a nearby local "Christian" bookstore. Nope, didn't have it. Asked. They were smart enough not to say "we only carry Christian items", but their "we don't carry Catholic things" was nearly as bad.

Believe it or not, that second response wouldn't have gotten me at all. If I'm out and about, I try to stop into the little Christian stores and see what they have. Time and again I've been very politely apologized to and sent to a store they know of that would carry something for me. Always as welcoming as could be.