I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Re: Family Christian

Post by Fainn » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:26 pm

Del wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:56 am
infidel wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:46 am
FWIW the Family Christian stores around here all had a Catholic section. Mind, it was a small corner of the store, but it was there.
Sort of what one would expect to find, right? Even a store down in the Bible Belt.

"Our Catholic friends invited us to the baptism of their new baby. What do you have for someone like that?"

-- "Well, here's a little statue of Mary holding Baby Jesus. They'll put that in the baby's room and be real happy. $8.99."
The one in Asheville had a huge Catholic selection, prob a quarter of the store.
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:39 pm

Fainn wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:26 pm
Del wrote:
infidel wrote:
FWIW the Family Christian stores around here all had a Catholic section. Mind, it was a small corner of the store, but it was there.
Sort of what one would expect to find, right? Even a store down in the Bible Belt.

"Our Catholic friends invited us to the baptism of their new baby. What do you have for someone like that?"

-- "Well, here's a little statue of Mary holding Baby Jesus. They'll put that in the baby's room and be real happy. $8.99."
The one in Asheville had a huge Catholic selection, prob a quarter of the store.
Was just going to say that. It also had a halfway decent selection of Bibles as I recall. That's where the Missus got her Study Bible if I remember correctly.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:39 pm
Fainn wrote:
Del wrote:
infidel wrote:

Was just going to say that. It also had a halfway decent selection of Bibles as I recall. That's where the Missus got her Study Bible if I remember correctly.
Cut it out guys.

Del's experiences and expectations constitute the full and complete reality. If the Christian Bookstore in Madison didn't/doesn't have the Catholic tchotchke he wanted, then they're all nothing more than heretical novelty shops.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:43 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:26 pm
Irish-Dane wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Del wrote:
infidel wrote:

Cut it out guys.

Del's experiences and expectations constitute the full and complete reality. If the Christian Bookstore in Madison didn't/doesn't have the Catholic tchotchke he wanted, then they're all nothing more than heretical novelty shops.
Be honest. You looked up tchotchke, didn't you?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:48 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:43 pm
FredS wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Del wrote:
infidel wrote:

Cut it out guys.

Yep.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:51 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:48 pm
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Del wrote:
infidel wrote:

Cut it out guys.

Yep.
Me, too. I had no idea how to spell it.

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:54 pm

tuttle wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:50 pm
gaining_age wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:27 pm
They had a decent music selection in the 80s and early 90s. But alas, the music has shifted.
Good point. Come to think of it, the only reason I visited Christian bookstores in the past was to browse through the music or to buy a particular CD or something. That was because you couldn't go to a Sam Goody or something. It helped to fill a nice little niche. But yeah, music sucks now and the internet is filling the niche better than a Christian bookstore could.
Oh yeah-- back in the day they had sample cassettes opened and headsets to listen with. You could swap around the cassettes and try before buying. The players may not have been that great but it was an experience for sure.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:49 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:51 pm
FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Del wrote:
infidel wrote:

Cut it out guys.

Yep.
Heh.
A great word + usage of said word!
1 life point awarded to Freds :)
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:31 pm

TwoXseveN wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:49 pm
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Del wrote:
infidel wrote:

Cut it out guys.

Yep.
Heh.
How do you say it?
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:37 pm

Onyx wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:31 pm
TwoXseveN wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Del wrote:

Cut it out guys.

Yep.
Heh.
How do you say it?
Like it's spelled, actually.

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:40 pm

Chotch-key.

Even better if you can begin it with an almost-silent-but-still-audible 'T'. Some Japanese words like Tsuge have the same beginning sound..

Onyx

Post by Onyx » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:44 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:40 pm
Chotch-key.

Even better if you can begin it with an almost-silent-but-still-audible 'T'. Some Japanese words like Tsuge have the same beginning sound..
I'll use it in three sentences today to lock it in. I hope it doesn't look like I'm trying too hard.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:51 pm

2 memories:

We took the kids to see Bibleman live at the Forum in Rome, Ga. It seems like his side kick was a computer whiz names Cypher or something like that. Of course, Willie Aames was from the show of my generation, Eight is Enough.

When I was in high school and college, we went to the Christian book stores to get our CC music cassettes, like Mylon, Stryper and Petra. The problem was the tapes were always about 50% higher priced than the secular music tapes in the mall music store.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:56 pm

FredS wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Del wrote:
infidel wrote:

Cut it out guys.

My experience was also a dozen years ago. Let's file it with Trump's remarks about butterfly-grabbing.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:08 pm

Was it Jonie loves tchotchke or Joanie loves Chachi?
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Del wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:56 pm
FredS wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Del wrote:
infidel wrote:

Cut it out guys.

My experience was also a dozen years ago. Let's file it with Trump's remarks about butterfly-grabbing.
You ever need a kaishakunin, you let me know. I'd be delighted.

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:50 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:37 pm
Onyx wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:31 pm
TwoXseveN wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Fainn wrote:

Cut it out guys.

Yep.
Heh.
How do you say it?

Errrrrr, sorta....

Pronounced:
"chahch-kuh"

Not:
FredS wrote:
Chotch-key.
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:39 am

One of my girls was looking for a summer job... 1 maybe 2 summers ago... that's when we first heard of Family Christian Crap's financial troubles. Anyway, she had a friend that worked there that had a horror story of having to clean the bathroom after someone had stuffed poopy underpants behind the toilet paper holder. My kid decided to find work elsewhere.

The "sale" at our local shop is total crap... 10% off most crap... 20% of other crap. Not what I expect for the way they're advertising they're "everything must go!" sale.

So I did buy a coloring book... and right after the lady ran my card through machine she says, "...all sales are final." and she smiled the way only a Christian Crap Store lady can smile. Not that I wasn't going to buy the coloring book anyway... but that's the kind of thing you say before you run the card... not after. eye-roll.

If/when the discounts do get deep I'm totally stocking up on potentially amazing White Elephant gifts for Christmas.

Oh, and we have Catholic stuff at our Crap store... but they keep it all contained in one section.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:30 am

+JMJ+

I'd never seen (or rather, consciously noticed) one of these stores until a going-out-of-bidniz sign caught the corner of my eye last week.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:46 am

TwoXseveN wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:50 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:37 pm
Errrrrr, sorta....

Pronounced:
"chahch-kuh"

Not:
FredS wrote:
Chotch-key.
Unless you're a Jewish grandmother, I'm going with the pronunciation I've always heard.