A New Cigar Life

Even cigar smokers are welcome here
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

A New Cigar Life

Post by Del » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:54 am

I have decided to plunge into the world of collecting, storing, and regularly smoking cigars.

I was persuaded by an email from PipesAndCigars.com advertising their "garage sale" clearance offers. They had some Foundry Cigars, a line that I really enjoy.

I bought a box of SODIUM and a box of KRYPTON:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/cigars/80 ... s-musings/

And a desktop humidor:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/humidors/ ... n-humidor/

And a hygrometer:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/hygromete ... ygrometer/

So..... What am I getting myself into? It seems that keeping cigars is a hobby, all by itself. Like maintaining a garden of dead weeds.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Del

Re: A New Cigar Life

Post by Del » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:33 am

Isn't there some sort of voodoo to do to the new humidor?

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:00 pm

You'll need to get some distilled water and a new sponge. Wet the sponge and dampen the cedar wood on the inside of the humidor. Let it sit for 12 hours or so and check the humidity level. You may have to do this several times until you get the level up to the 65-70% area. Then you can put your cigars in the humidor.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:28 pm

Del wrote:I have decided to plunge into the world of collecting, storing, and regularly smoking cigars.

I was persuaded by an email from PipesAndCigars.com advertising their "garage sale" clearance offers. They had some Foundry Cigars, a line that I really enjoy.

I bought a box of SODIUM and a box of KRYPTON:

And a desktop humidor:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/humidors/ ... n-humidor/

And a hygrometer:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/hygromete ... ygrometer/

So..... What am I getting myself into? It seems that keeping cigars is a hobby, all by itself. Like maintaining a garden of dead weeds.
The Foundry cigar you gave me in San Antonio was superb! i think there should be an award for the first young man to repurpose one of those steampunk metal cigar bands as an engagement ring. :thumbsup:

Del

Post by Del » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:19 pm

I love FOUNDRY Cigars.

Most cigar companies strive for consistency. FOUNDRY takes a different approach.

At Foundry, they seek out lots of uniquely flavored, rare, well-aged tobaccos, and roll up a bunch of cigars from the available stock. When it's gone, it's gone forever. In the meantime, a box of your favorites are treasures to enjoy.

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:35 pm

xxxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:17 pm

Interesting coincidence, Del. I was thinking about the same thing today. I enjoy cigars, but smoke them only on those occasions when I am in the company of other men. For me, that is usually outside either golfing or shooting.

I have a one hundred count humidor, filled mostly with R&J, Oliva, and Upmann cameroons. Aging is fun. Keep the humidor full...the humidity regulates better that way and the cigars age better. Save all the cedar sheets and wrappers you can and put them all around your cigars.

I prefer my pipe for a variety of reasons, one of the biggest being societal acceptance. The reaction to my pipe is usually very friendly, often with a mention of a truly loved family member that used to smoke a pipe. Cigars, it's hey, you stink. Today I had three cigars while golfing in a tournament with my bride and she told me she liked the smell but my breath was horrible. Use and enjoy them with that in mind!

TomT_90GT
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by TomT_90GT » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:36 am

I love cigars too, but acquiring them in large quantities is a bit beyond my budget. As I travel for work, I like to scope out good cigar stores (very few around my home) and pick up 3-5 to stash in my 30 count humidor. And occasionally I'll order a 20-cigar bundle of JR Alternatives to round out the cache. Never heard of Foundry cigars, Del. May have to keep an eye out and try one...do they sell singles at Pipes and Cigars or other online stores?

Del

Post by Del » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:50 am

TomT_90GT wrote:I love cigars too, but acquiring them in large quantities is a bit beyond my budget. As I travel for work, I like to scope out good cigar stores (very few around my home) and pick up 3-5 to stash in my 30 count humidor. And occasionally I'll order a 20-cigar bundle of JR Alternatives to round out the cache. Never heard of Foundry cigars, Del. May have to keep an eye out and try one...do they sell singles at Pipes and Cigars or other online stores?
These are sold as singles.

So are these. And much less expensive.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/cigars/84 ... lin-moose/

I am most familiar with their "steampunk" line.... which had a wonderful gimmick. The cigar band was a bit of metal sculpture.

MrPiper

Post by MrPiper » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:34 am

xxxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saltedplug
Usher
Usher

Post by saltedplug » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:27 pm

I hurt myself with cigars. But just today I smoked one, and in the last two weeks split two boxes with my brother. I try to stay away from them as the cost adds up quickly, yet a cigar is a very different experience than a pipe, and one I don't want to stop having. If I manage not to be a knucklehead about buying expensive pipes, something that I've only managed to do this year, I can smoke a pipe for 10% of the cost of a cigar.

Part of the problem is that I only buy upscale cigars.