Talk To Me About Cheroots

Even cigar smokers are welcome here
User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 20366
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Talk To Me About Cheroots

Post by FredS » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:42 am

I've been smoking more and more cigars as I putter around the shop these day and I've become interested in Cheroots lately. I've noticed quite a few in the catalogs the online cigar peddlers send me and I'm eyeing the cheaper brands favorably. I've only had one expensive cigar in my life and it was superb, but I'm not a connoisseur by any means so I think expensive sticks are wasted on my pallet. Also, I don't have a humidor. I have a Herf-A-Dor brand box that will hold a half dozen cigars, but I forget to tend it and they dry out, so even the 'good' cigars I have aren't really in prime shape by the time I get around to smoking them. I think Cheroots might be a better option. One brand in particular - Red Lion Cheroots - look interesting to me. And at $40 for a box of 60 they are cheap enough.

I'm also considering the drug store type that are sold in packaged lots of 2-4. Backwoods is the most familiar brand but there are others. If bought by the case, they are priced reasonably and the small lot packaging would keep them in good condition until they were smoked.

Any Cheroot smokers here?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23008
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Talk To Me About Cheroots

Post by Hovannes » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:53 am

Yes :wavey:
This biggest issue with cheroots is overcoming the sensation that you've just stepped onto the set of a spaghetti Western whenever you light one up.
The second biggest issue is to avoid ones that are packaged while seemingly stewing in PG.

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11355
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: Talk To Me About Cheroots

Post by Gabriel » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:31 am

I was eyeing the Red Lions last month as well, if anyone has first hand experience with them I'd be interested to hear it.

Freds - I just finished a bundle of Banditos that I picked up in the spring from P&C.com. I got a bundle of 60 for about 35 bucks. I really enjoyed them. Cheap, convenient, good... The wrapper is dark with a little sweetener on the end. Not flavored, sweet though.

They should be in a humidor though, at least a make-shift one. I've been smoking them while fishing or working or sitting outside when I don't have time for a pipe. They're like backwoods cigars if they were made from higher quality tobacco and no PG
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 36596
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Talk To Me About Cheroots

Post by Del » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:47 am

Whenever I can find them, I like to smoke Italian Toscanello cigars. These are the Clint Eastwood spaghetti western cheroots. They are hard little twigs of twisted tobacco which burn slow (so the small size is still a sturdy smoke) and they resist further drying during storage. These are the drugstore cigars of Italy.
https://www.italiansmokes.com/categorie ... lo-Cigars/

This is not the experience of fine Caribbean cigars, nor American drugstore cigars. They are made from high-quality fermented Kentucky tobacco, which is typically used for pipes rather than cigars. They are a unique experience that every premium smoker should enjoy, at least once.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toscano_(cigar)
Characteristics
Toscano are strong, intense cigars with a high nicotine proportion. Typically, the aromas and scents released when smoked are full, intense and savory. The varieties marketed may be marked by strength, sweetness and flavor. In the Toscano range, Toscano ExtraVecchio is said to be strong and determined. The Toscano production is characterized by calmness, purity and persistence of flavor. Toscano Garibaldi uses Kentucky leaves with higher sugar content in its production and its aroma tastes sweet, gentle and vigorous, suitable for beginner smokers.[8]

Traditionally, they are not smoked as a whole, but cut in the middle. They are considered dry cigars or cheroots which means they do not have to be stored in a humidor. It is very much different from the Caribbean cigars which will dry up and crack if not stored in a humidor. The Kentucky tobacco is not hygroscopic after undergoing special fermentation and can be stored for years at room temperature without losing its quality. Ideally, the Toscano cigar should have an internal humidity between 12% and 14%, and a storage humidity of between 65% and 70%.
Last edited by Del on Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard
Posts: 3534
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: USA, USA!!!

Re: Talk To Me About Cheroots

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:51 am

Another Tuscano cigar smoker here. My favorites have been Da Vinci. Nice stout cigars with a deep flavor.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11355
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: Talk To Me About Cheroots

Post by Gabriel » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:02 pm

Gabriel wrote:I was eyeing the Red Lions last month as well, if anyone has first hand experience with them I'd be interested to hear it.

Freds - I just finished a bundle of Banditos that I picked up in the spring from P&C.com. I got a bundle of 60 for about 35 bucks. I really enjoyed them. Cheap, convenient, good... The wrapper is dark with a little sweetener on the end. Not flavored, sweet though.

They should be in a humidor though, at least a make-shift one. I've been smoking them while fishing or working or sitting outside when I don't have time for a pipe. They're like backwoods cigars if they were made from higher quality tobacco and no PG
I typed that on my phone last night and it's a bit run together. The wrapper is sweetened for about an inch, the foot is left untrimmed. They're mild, but the dark wrapper gives them decent flavor. I found them surprisingly enjoyable.

Image
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 20366
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Talk To Me About Cheroots

Post by FredS » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:05 am

All right Gabe, I ordered a box of the Red Lions - and a humidor, and some humectant, an some pipe tobacco and some other cheap cigars - from P&C this morning. Will let you know what I think.

We can swap a dozen Red Lions for Banditos if you wanna pay $4-$5 postage one way.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23008
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Talk To Me About Cheroots

Post by Hovannes » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:03 am

Kentucky Cheroots ain't bad.
Toscanos are great for when fishing---they'll keep the mosquitos away! :D

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23008
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Talk To Me About Cheroots

Post by Hovannes » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:06 am

Del wrote:Whenever I can find them, I like to smoke Italian Toscanello cigars. These are the Clint Eastwood spaghetti western cheroots. They are hard little twigs of twisted tobacco which burn slow (so the small size is still a sturdy smoke) and they resist further drying during storage. These are the drugstore cigars of Italy.
https://www.italiansmokes.com/categorie ... lo-Cigars/

This is not the experience of fine Caribbean cigars, nor American drugstore cigars. They are made from high-quality fermented Kentucky tobacco, which is typically used for pipes rather than cigars. They are a unique experience that every premium smoker should enjoy, at least once.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toscano_(cigar)
Characteristics
Toscano are strong, intense cigars with a high nicotine proportion. Typically, the aromas and scents released when smoked are full, intense and savory. The varieties marketed may be marked by strength, sweetness and flavor. In the Toscano range, Toscano ExtraVecchio is said to be strong and determined. The Toscano production is characterized by calmness, purity and persistence of flavor. Toscano Garibaldi uses Kentucky leaves with higher sugar content in its production and its aroma tastes sweet, gentle and vigorous, suitable for beginner smokers.[8]

Traditionally, they are not smoked as a whole, but cut in the middle. They are considered dry cigars or cheroots which means they do not have to be stored in a humidor. It is very much different from the Caribbean cigars which will dry up and crack if not stored in a humidor. The Kentucky tobacco is not hygroscopic after undergoing special fermentation and can be stored for years at room temperature without losing its quality. Ideally, the Toscano cigar should have an internal humidity between 12% and 14%, and a storage humidity of between 65% and 70%.
Del, Pier Giorgio Frassati apparently smoked Tosacano pipe tobacco which was the same blend his mother smoked. :D

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Talk To Me About Cheroots

Post by hugodrax » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:51 am

Hovannes wrote:
Del wrote:Whenever I can find them, I like to smoke Italian Toscanello cigars. These are the Clint Eastwood spaghetti western cheroots. They are hard little twigs of twisted tobacco which burn slow (so the small size is still a sturdy smoke) and they resist further drying during storage. These are the drugstore cigars of Italy.
https://www.italiansmokes.com/categorie ... lo-Cigars/

This is not the experience of fine Caribbean cigars, nor American drugstore cigars. They are made from high-quality fermented Kentucky tobacco, which is typically used for pipes rather than cigars. They are a unique experience that every premium smoker should enjoy, at least once.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toscano_(cigar)
Characteristics
Toscano are strong, intense cigars with a high nicotine proportion. Typically, the aromas and scents released when smoked are full, intense and savory. The varieties marketed may be marked by strength, sweetness and flavor. In the Toscano range, Toscano ExtraVecchio is said to be strong and determined. The Toscano production is characterized by calmness, purity and persistence of flavor. Toscano Garibaldi uses Kentucky leaves with higher sugar content in its production and its aroma tastes sweet, gentle and vigorous, suitable for beginner smokers.[8]

Traditionally, they are not smoked as a whole, but cut in the middle. They are considered dry cigars or cheroots which means they do not have to be stored in a humidor. It is very much different from the Caribbean cigars which will dry up and crack if not stored in a humidor. The Kentucky tobacco is not hygroscopic after undergoing special fermentation and can be stored for years at room temperature without losing its quality. Ideally, the Toscano cigar should have an internal humidity between 12% and 14%, and a storage humidity of between 65% and 70%.
Del, Pier Giorgio Frassati apparently smoked Tosacano pipe tobacco which was the same blend his mother smoked. :D
Can't argue much with any of this. Toscani are a pretty regular smoke for me. I don't know if they make a specific Toscano pipe tobacco or not, but it used to be a pretty common practice to crumble them up to form pipe tobacco. Not recommended for the faint of heart or the refined of palate.

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11355
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: Talk To Me About Cheroots

Post by Gabriel » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:45 am

hugodrax wrote: Can't argue much with any of this. Toscani are a pretty regular smoke for me.
Well my curiosity has been piqued. Where you usually acquire them?
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11355
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: Talk To Me About Cheroots

Post by Gabriel » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:47 am

FredS wrote:All right Gabe, I ordered a box of the Red Lions - and a humidor, and some humectant, an some pipe tobacco and some other cheap cigars - from P&C this morning. Will let you know what I think.

We can swap a dozen Red Lions for Banditos if you wanna pay $4-$5 postage one way.
Nice!

I'd be more than happy to swap some cigars, but I'm afraid I smoked the last of them this past weekend. Once I re-stock I'll let you know. I'm needing to restock pipe tobacco anyway...
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Talk To Me About Cheroots

Post by hugodrax » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:57 pm

Gabriel wrote:
hugodrax wrote: Can't argue much with any of this. Toscani are a pretty regular smoke for me.
Well my curiosity has been piqued. Where you usually acquire them?
Do you want authentic toscani? If so, that's a pretty expensive proposition to import or go through duty frees. I do have a couple of low end Toscanello brand smokes I'd be willing to send your way if you pm me.

Otherwise, get yourself some Parodis or DiNobiles. Domestic product, but very authentic. Available from most Italian groceries for just a couple of bucks.

Warning for the fellow that rejects gyros as a food choice: these are strong little devils that only have a superficial resemblance to hand rolled smokes. They're designed to smoke in the sun with Infuriator grade red wine. They smell like the Devil's testicles. Smoke outside with the screen door shut. And I love them, but most Americans don't.

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11355
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: Talk To Me About Cheroots

Post by Gabriel » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:25 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
hugodrax wrote: Can't argue much with any of this. Toscani are a pretty regular smoke for me.
Well my curiosity has been piqued. Where you usually acquire them?
Do you want authentic toscani? If so, that's a pretty expensive proposition to import or go through duty frees. I do have a couple of low end Toscanello brand smokes I'd be willing to send your way if you pm me.

Otherwise, get yourself some Parodis or DiNobiles. Domestic product, but very authentic. Available from most Italian groceries for just a couple of bucks.

Warning for the fellow that rejects gyros as a food choice: these are strong little devils that only have a superficial resemblance to hand rolled smokes. They're designed to smoke in the sun with Infuriator grade red wine. They smell like the Devil's testicles. Smoke outside with the screen door shut. And I love them, but most Americans don't.
Ha, I have nothing against gyros, never smelled the Devil's testicles and don't smoke cigars in the house. Sounds perfect!

I am intrigued, I'll have to do some looking when i get a minute.
Sola Deo Gloria

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
Posts: 17086
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Talk To Me About Cheroots

Post by TNLawPiper » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:20 pm

You guys are willingly smoking tobacco that people who didn't have access to good tobacco smoked?

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Talk To Me About Cheroots

Post by hugodrax » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:02 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:You guys are willingly smoking tobacco that people who didn't have access to good tobacco smoked?
You know, that's the sort of grammar that could potentially make me go ape sugar if I happened to be in my cups.

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 20238
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Talk To Me About Cheroots

Post by Jocose » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:29 pm

hugodrax wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:You guys are willingly smoking tobacco that people who didn't have access to good tobacco smoked?
You know, that's the sort of grammar that could potentially make me go ape sugar if I happened to be in my cups.
Now your talking like you are loosing you're mind.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The Guacamole yoda was life changing " ~ John-Boy

Image

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Talk To Me About Cheroots

Post by hugodrax » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:01 pm

Jocose wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:You guys are willingly smoking tobacco that people who didn't have access to good tobacco smoked?
You know, that's the sort of grammar that could potentially make me go ape sugar if I happened to be in my cups.
Now your talking like you are loosing you're mind.
Nope. Not in my cups. Oh sure, La Chouffe was consumed, but only in the sort of reasonable amounts that lead to an elevated sense of well-being and not towards an uncontrollable homicidal rage against the sans culottes. CPS remains safe, old bean.

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 20238
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Talk To Me About Cheroots

Post by Jocose » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:02 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Jocose wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:You guys are willingly smoking tobacco that people who didn't have access to good tobacco smoked?
You know, that's the sort of grammar that could potentially make me go ape sugar if I happened to be in my cups.
Now your talking like you are loosing you're mind.
Nope. Not in my cups. Oh sure, La Chouffe was consumed, but only in the sort of reasonable amounts that lead to an elevated sense of well-being and not towards an uncontrollable homicidal rage against the sans culottes. CPS remains safe, old bean.
Did you get it? Your/you're and loosing?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The Guacamole yoda was life changing " ~ John-Boy

Image

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 32178
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Talk To Me About Cheroots

Post by John-Boy » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:03 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Gabriel wrote:I was eyeing the Red Lions last month as well, if anyone has first hand experience with them I'd be interested to hear it.

Freds - I just finished a bundle of Banditos that I picked up in the spring from P&C.com. I got a bundle of 60 for about 35 bucks. I really enjoyed them. Cheap, convenient, good... The wrapper is dark with a little sweetener on the end. Not flavored, sweet though.

They should be in a humidor though, at least a make-shift one. I've been smoking them while fishing or working or sitting outside when I don't have time for a pipe. They're like backwoods cigars if they were made from higher quality tobacco and no PG
I typed that on my phone last night and it's a bit run together. The wrapper is sweetened for about an inch, the foot is left untrimmed. They're mild, but the dark wrapper gives them decent flavor. I found them surprisingly enjoyable.

Image
I just placed my order. I hope they're good.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Post Reply