Bilder's Cigar-Sharing Extravaganza

Even cigar smokers are welcome here
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Bilder's Cigar-Sharing Extravaganza

Post by Del » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:43 am

It seems that bilder bought a few more cigars than his humidor had room for, or somethin'. So he shared a few with hugodrax, JimVH, Pipeson & myself.... seems like anyone who was willing to talk about cigars with bilder got some lagniappe for the trouble.
bilder's PM wrote:Couple Schitzo's, a John Bull, and a Ghurka along with something else.
My "something else" was a a baggie of mystery tobacco blend. I gave it a try.... A very pleasant aromatic with cocoa topping.
bilder's PM wrote:
Del wrote:I smoked a bit of that mystery pipe tobacco. Tastes like a chocolate aromatic, but nice & dry without a lot of sticky propylene glycol. Nice!

What is it?

Del
That is Carter Hall. It is some of the batch I got from Judge Rusty. He found a tub that had been sitting on a store shelf since 2008. It is a bit different than the normal stuff. The age seems to have added to the flavor a bit.
Well, it's a lot better than the ancient tub of Sugar Barrel I bought in Lincoln, Nebraska. And that weren't bad.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Del

Re: Bilder's Cigar-Sharing Extravaganza

Post by Del » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:55 am

Saturday morning: A bit of chill in the air, so I put on my fez and headed out the porch with Pipeson.

We smoked a couple of those Asylum Schizo maduros.
https://www.bestcigarprices.com/cigar-d ... 0x5-77095/

This is a great cigar, especially for the price!

Premium tobacco flavors.... Sweet virginia is in there. I like the dark chocolate/coffee flavors of a good maduro wrapper. There are some spicy notes as I got to the middle of the cigar, some surprising complexity that I wasn't expecting from such an inexpensive cigar. And the finish wasn't bitter at all. I'm going to remember these.

Not so tightly wrapped as a typical premium cigar, so the draw is very open. It burns more quickly, as well. Which makes is perfect for a shorter smoke -- 20 minutes or so. Trouble is, it is so smooth that I find myself wishing that I could light up another.

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:28 pm

Del wrote:Saturday morning: A bit of chill in the air, so I put on my fez and headed out the porch with Pipeson.

We smoked a couple of those Asylum Schizo maduros.
https://www.bestcigarprices.com/cigar-d ... 0x5-77095/

This is a great cigar, especially for the price!

Premium tobacco flavors.... Sweet virginia is in there. I like the dark chocolate/coffee flavors of a good maduro wrapper. There are some spicy notes as I got to the middle of the cigar, some surprising complexity that I wasn't expecting from such an inexpensive cigar. And the finish wasn't bitter at all. I'm going to remember these.

Not so tightly wrapped as a typical premium cigar, so the draw is very open. It burns more quickly, as well. Which makes is perfect for a shorter smoke -- 20 minutes or so. Trouble is, it is so smooth that I find myself wishing that I could light up another.
That is about what I thought. Great stick at an even better price. I am going to get some more of these.
"Welcome. Please post things that make no sense." -Onyx

Del

Post by Del » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:30 pm

bilder wrote:
That is about what I thought. Great stick at an even better price. I am going to get some more of these.
Who is your favored supplier?

It's a small world; we should deal with friends.

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:33 pm

JR is the only place I found them in stock. 27 bucks a bundle over there.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:34 pm

#CPSwin

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:19 pm

Smoked one of them this evening. Interesting cigar. Cocoa, sweet mint, and just a hint of tar. Straightforward, it just became more so as it progressed...same flavors but intensified. Grateful for the experience and just ordered a bundle. Thanks, Bilder. Really generous of you and I'd have never tried this without your kindness.

Del

Post by Del » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:17 pm

I lit up the John Bull "Prime Minister" at 6:00 pm tonight.

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/11362/john-bull/

This is a monstrous cigar, at 7-1/4 inches and 54 gauge. Extremely affordable, at $2 a log.

Very mild, for the first 3/4 inch....

If anybody needs me, I'm going to be right here, on my porch, for the next hour or two.

UPDATE: 7:00 pm. Half-way and still mild. It complements sips of light scotch.

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:51 pm

Del wrote:I lit up the John Bull "Prime Minister" at 6:00 pm tonight.

This is a monstrous cigar, at 7-1/4 inches and 54 gauge. Extremely affordable, at $2 a log.

If anybody needs me, I'm going to be right here, on my porch, for the next hour or two.

Did you catch any notes of vanilla or caramel during your smoke? I am not sure if I was tasting the cigar or my rum when I smoked one.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:34 pm

Tomorrow I am forced to entertain. To watch the sans culottes devour my "wines and pickles and that." To watch my friends children gleefully breaking my own children's toys and to explain to my children the relative importance of a toy while privately considering the toy's replacement cost. I am planning on gleefully smoking the rest of your largesse whilst failing to offer any to the milquetoasts that married my female friends. In other words, thanks, Bilder!

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:05 am

I need some asylum, but not as a schizo. Why are they named thus?
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Del

Post by Del » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:49 pm

bilder wrote:

Did you catch any notes of vanilla or caramel during your smoke? I am not sure if I was tasting the cigar or my rum when I smoked one.
Me? No, I did not detect any of those sweet virginia flavors. I would say that he John Bull is a mild and "neutral," such that it could complement any suitable drink. Red wine, port or sherry, rum, brandy, scotch, coffee.

Del

Post by Del » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:01 pm

sweetandsour wrote:I need some asylum, but not as a schizo. Why are they named thus?
It is just marketing. A guy walks into a humidor.... The cigar maker wants his product to command the shopper's attention.

The folks at Asylum make some awesome, affordable cigars. But they are trying too hard at marketing.

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:11 pm

Del wrote:
bilder wrote:

Me? No, I did not detect any of those sweet virginia flavors. I would say that he John Bull is a mild and "neutral," such that it could complement any suitable drink. Red wine, port or sherry, rum, brandy, scotch, coffee.
Goes well with rum and coke (more rum less coke) and a good long conversation with friends.

Del

Post by Del » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:05 pm

I am enjoying the GURKHA Monogram tonight, with a late cup of coffee.

GURKHA MONOGRAM
Gurkha Monogram....code for more bang for your buck.
Gurkha may be synonymous with high-end and prestigious....but you don’t always have to pay top dollar to enjoy the quality cigars boasting the Gurkha name. Gurkha Monogram is a perfect example. This medium-bodied treat hails from the Dominican Republic and combines a classic combination of seamless Connecticut Ecuador wrappers with aged Dominican long-fillers inside a Cuban-seed Dominican binder. The smoke is mellow yet complex, issuing sweet tobacco notes, cedar, and a touch of hearty spices for good measure - just a touch, though. Smooth yet satisfying, Gurkha Monogram combines top-shelf quality with wallet-friendly pricing....git’some!

This is a sweet cigar. Those vanilla notes are singing! And that cedar/spice is definitely kicking in toward the finish. I'm getting some leather too.

This is a real, premium cigar -- tightly rolled with a firm draw. [Contrast with the Schizo and John Bull[,/i] which were looser in roll and more open in draw.]

Good to the nub!

Where did you find these, bilder? I want!

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:18 pm

Del wrote:I am enjoying the GURKHA Monogram tonight, with a late cup of coffee.

GURKHA MONOGRAM
Gurkha Monogram....code for more bang for your buck.
Gurkha may be synonymous with high-end and prestigious....but you don’t always have to pay top dollar to enjoy the quality cigars boasting the Gurkha name. Gurkha Monogram is a perfect example. This medium-bodied treat hails from the Dominican Republic and combines a classic combination of seamless Connecticut Ecuador wrappers with aged Dominican long-fillers inside a Cuban-seed Dominican binder. The smoke is mellow yet complex, issuing sweet tobacco notes, cedar, and a touch of hearty spices for good measure - just a touch, though. Smooth yet satisfying, Gurkha Monogram combines top-shelf quality with wallet-friendly pricing....git’some!

This is a sweet cigar. Those vanilla notes are singing! And that cedar/spice is definitely kicking in toward the finish. I'm getting some leather too.

This is a real, premium cigar -- tightly rolled with a firm draw. [Contrast with the Schizo and John Bull[,/i] which were looser in roll and more open in draw.]

Good to the nub!

Where did you find these, bilder? I want!

Either came out of a box pass or cigarbid, I cannot remember. Judging by the cello they are in, they are several years old. Not sure if they are still in production.

Reminds me of some Gran Habano 3 Siglos Fumas I bought years ago. Bought 2 bundles for 23 bucks each and fell in love with that cigar. I have not been able to find them since and have one lone stick left in the humidor waiting for the special occasion. It is the last of the cigars I brought with me when we left Alaska three years ago.

Del

Post by Del » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:38 am

Next time that I am shopping for cigars, I will just have to see what Gurkha is up to these days.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:11 am

I smoked all weekend on Bilder's generosity. All good smokes that I would buy to have around.

Thank you, friend. This was far more generous than I deserved after the whole Middleton Apple debacle.

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:44 am

JimVH wrote:I smoked all weekend on Bilder's generosity. All good smokes that I would buy to have around.

Thank you, friend. This was far more generous than I deserved after the whole Middleton Apple debacle.
Actually the Middleton Apple has put me on a quest to find a good apple topped tobacco. So far I have come across two that I enjoy. Central Park Stroll by Drew Estate and H&H Caramel Apple.

Del

Post by Del » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:06 am