Is it dead forever?

Even cigar smokers are welcome here
Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?

Is it dead forever?

Post by Brigid » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:44 pm

My old roommate bought me an Avo no. 9 for my bachelorette party (she also got Talisker; best bridesmaid ever) at the end of August and, knowing I don't own a cigar cutter, had it cut at the shop. It is now, apparently, October. The cigar's looking a little powdery and grey on one end. Can I still smoke this thing? Should I?

It's perfect walk-and-smoke weather here. The trees are just starting to turn. And I'd hate to see a lovely, overpriced cigar to go waste.
Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Re: Is it dead forever?

Post by dennisthemenace » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:30 pm

The powdery stuff is probably bloom. It should just brush off w/ a paper towl. Smoke it by all means.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:04 pm

I'm not as trusting as Dennis. Stuff that grows on my tobacco makes me suspicious. Especially it being grey. Does it have a scent or has it altered the cigar scent? Use a magnifying glass and see if moves or has hair. Both of those are bad news. If it's mold you might think cutting off the afflicted piece is a remedy but the surface stuff is fruit and it probably has its roots deep in your cigar. But maybe roots are ok to smoke? Cutting off a piece and burning it to see what it smells like is not a bad idea. Say it smells ok, good even, then what? Normally these things afflict the groom and they rarely tell their new wife before they succumb. Perhaps you can warn your husband that he may need to reschedule his future? Or share it. That's the Romeo & Juliet strategy. Do it before kids.

Did you crack the seal on the Talisker yet? And was the bridesmaid there for the first drink?

#pychoticBridesmaid
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:08 pm

Good write up on the difference between mold and bloom/plume.

https://www.jrcigars.com/blending-room/ ... 015/06/22/
"Welcome. Please post things that make no sense." -Onyx