Friday night downtown ...

Even cigar smokers are welcome here
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Friday night downtown ...

Post by sweetandsour » Mon May 15, 2017 10:18 pm

... local Seafarers' Center fundraiser, cigar sampler, and liquor tasting. The night was started with selection of a cigar for immediate light-up, along with before-dinner drinks and conversation.

The tasting target for the night was mescal, which included 3 candidates.

Only the center bottles contained a worm. It (the mescal) was pretty smooth. The green bottled product on the left in the pic contained a sweetener, which was nice and smooth, but just a little too sweet for my tastes. The sample on the right, the "kimo sabe", was pretty harsh, compared to the other two.

Someone at an adjoining table brought some local (state-wise) bourbon, bottled in San Antonio, and shared the last few oz with us. Very smooth, indeed.

And then finally, all were invited to select a few cigars for the road. The highlight, however, was the special cigar from a famous Caribbean island, given to our table by an unknown person, from an unknown source. I ended up giving it to my son-in-law yesterday (Mother's Day), for doing all of the cooking.

An excellent meal was included, of course. An excellent evening. Excellent, indeed. I'll report on the cigars individually. Maybe.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Friday night downtown ...

Post by JimVH » Tue May 16, 2017 8:59 am

I just need to follow you around for a while.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue May 16, 2017 11:21 am

That sounds like a great evening.

One of my co-workers belongs to a group that does a steak/scotch /cigar night once a year...its $50 but totally worth it...I have been his +1 for the last 2 years
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 16, 2017 12:15 pm

Not a cigar smoker myself, but I understand those cigars from that unnamed island cannot be duplicated elsewhere. A very generous gift!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue May 16, 2017 2:37 pm

It's a $50 evening, plus a few bucks for drinks, raffle tickets and extra cigars.
Jim, I'll forward the next invitation if you're interested. It's on Friday nights. Spend the night at my place, then either fish or golf the next morning.
BTW I failed to mention, the local priest is the MC, leads the opening prayer, etc. Last Fri he led a toast with raised glasses, to an elderly gentleman who passed recently, who was always at the cigar table helping out. The man's grandson was there and was visibly moved. It was a very touching moment, in fact.
Anyway ...
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)