Mark Twain Cigars

Even cigar smokers are welcome here
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Mark Twain Cigars

Post by tuttle » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:53 am

I'm always on the lookout for a good value cigar. For a while I was a huge fan of the Los Blanco's bundle Primos cigars, but they've been off the market for a few years now and since then nothing's really filled the gap for me. Flor de Oliva cigars are alright in a pinch. Jester introduced me to some decent factory throwouts. But since I've discovered them, these Mark Twain cigars are my new cheap go to.

I don't remember when I smoked my first one. Maybe in a sampler or maybe even as a gift from a CPSer? but it was in my humidor and I was pretty stoked about it. Then I had a gift certificate and threw a few Mark Twain's (Connecticut and the maduro) to round it out. They're pretty cheap and hugely satisfying. Also they are pretty big so it's a long smoke. I normally go for a rubusto, but that's no knock on these cigars. In fact their size only increases the value for me.

Anyway Pipes and Cigars has a box sale going on for the Mark Twain line. Even more value! (but they're backordered...so not sure when they'll come in). Thought I'd give you all a heads up on that and give my recommendation.

Anyone else enjoy this brand?
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Mark Twain Cigars

Post by JimVH » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:02 pm

I've burned through a couple of boxes of them. From my perspective, they are the best cigar value out there. My first box only cost me two bucks a stick for really pleasant smokes.

The subject of my very first tweet:

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:15 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:02 pm
I've burned through a couple of boxes of them. From my perspective, they are the best cigar value out there. My first box only cost me two bucks a stick for really pleasant smokes.

It's always enjoyable to share a perspective with JimVH. The sale at P&C I mentioned made 'em around 2 bucks each!
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Jester

Post by Jester » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:36 pm

tuttle wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:15 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:02 pm

It's always enjoyable to share a perspective with JimVH. The sale at P&C I mentioned made 'em around 2 bucks each!
Not sure if you have me sold on these yet. You better throw a couple my way before I am persuaded.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:33 pm

Did they go up in price lately? I had them on my radar as I usually get a bundle or box of cheap cigars in the spring and was going to do these this year. Couldn’t get the maduros from P&C and they were more than I remembered.

Ended up a moot point as I didn’t have the cash for any cigars at all, but still...
Sola Deo Gloria

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:07 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:33 pm
Did they go up in price lately? I had them on my radar as I usually get a bundle or box of cheap cigars in the spring and was going to do these this year. Couldn’t get the maduros from P&C and they were more than I remembered.

Ended up a moot point as I didn’t have the cash for any cigars at all, but still...
All of the boxes of Mark Twain were backordered, but they were still listed in your price range.

I like the Chillin' Moose series of cigars, for affordable quality smokes.
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/foundr ... s/1484859/
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/foundr ... s/1506763/

"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:53 am

Del wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:07 pm
Gabriel wrote:

All of the boxes of Mark Twain were backordered, but they were still listed in your price range.

Hmm...looking at the price now for single sticks I feel like they have gone up. I don't remember them being $7 a pop. Maybe I've only purchased them on sale?

And thanks for the recommendation Del! The first link with the Habano Rosado wrapper sounds right up my alley. I'll have to give it a try at some point.

Del

Post by Del » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:30 am

tuttle wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:53 am
Del wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

Hmm...looking at the price now for single sticks I feel like they have gone up. I don't remember them being $7 a pop. Maybe I've only purchased them on sale?

And thanks for the recommendation Del! The first link with the Habano Rosado wrapper sounds right up my alley. I'll have to give it a try at some point.
I don't think the tag of "as low as $7" is accurate.

Boxes of 20 for $40 to $50, depending on size. That the $2/stick that we like.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:45 am

Del wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:30 am
tuttle wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:53 am
Del wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

I don't think the tag of "as low as $7" is accurate.

Boxes of 20 for $40 to $50, depending on size. That the $2/stick that we like.
Jester wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:36 pm
Not sure if you have me sold on these yet. You better throw a couple my way before I am persuaded.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:41 pm

The maduros are okay, but the Connecticuts taste like cardboard.
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:53 pm

Fainn wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:41 pm
The maduros are okay, but the Connecticuts taste like cardboard.
"I know a good cigar better than you do, for I have had sixty years' experience. No, that is not what I mean; I mean I know a bad cigar better than anybody else. I judge by the price only; if it costs above 5 cents, I know it to be either foreign or half foreign and unsmokable." - Mark Twain

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:10 pm

I tried a MT about a year ago, and it was just OK...I remember it as very mild. I took Del's advice last year and went to buy the Chillin Moose, but P&C was back ordered so I got the Chillin Moose Too. I was very pleased. I think it came out to $3.50 a stick...the price has gone down.

Recently I ordered Dark Shark Bundle...works out to $1.38 per stick. I haven't had one yet...I'll let you know how it works out
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:47 pm

Haven't tried the MT, but did try the chillin moose after Del's suggestion. Very much enjoy them

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:16 am

The Box with the Dark Sharks greated me when I got to work this morning...I shall give one a try this evening! :chili: :bacon: :taco:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:44 am

In the spirit of cheap sticks, Field Supply is having a 2 Buck Chuck sale.