Humidipaks

Even cigar smokers are welcome here
tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Humidipaks

Post by tuttle » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:25 am

My little humidor uses a sponge that lasts for somewhere about three seconds, so lately I've resorted to a little shot glass of distilled water. My hygrometer probably came from a Happy Meal so I've not had a proper reading in maybe ever since I got the thing. I go by feel.

Anyway, I hydrate my guitar with humidipaks and I've seen some humidipaks travel with shipped cigars so I nabbed a 72% pack for my humidor. Curious if anyone has any experience using Humidipaks (or Boveda) in their humidors.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Re: Humidipaks

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:33 am

Yes, they work great! And you can reuse them too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:20 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:33 am
Yes, they work great! And you can reuse them too!

The "two-way" is the clincher. I own a Taylor guitar and they swear by using the humidipaks because of the two-way system because it's self regulating. Of course it seems it depends upon the humidity or lack thereof where you're living, but I purchased my guitar five years ago and have replaced my packets maybe three or four times (when they get crunchy hard). No risk of over humidifying, slight risk of under humidifying if you're not checking up on it. I'm hoping the packs I'm using for my humidifier give me similar results.

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:31 pm

I use Boveda packs in my humidor.

I finally settled on the 65% for my sticks. Anything higher than that I think is too moist for my tastes.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:44 pm

I had some crunchy old sticks and I brought them back to life with one of the larger boveda and a travel humidor

Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:00 am

I'm sure it's dependent upon how big the humidor is, but how many packs do you guys use at the same time?

AKPreacher
Elder
Elder

Post by AKPreacher » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:46 pm

tuttle wrote:I'm sure it's dependent upon how big the humidor is, but how many packs do you guys use at the same time?
How big is your humidor? Also it sounds like your humidor my not be seasoned correctly or it’s leaking.

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:56 am

AKPreacher wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:46 pm
tuttle wrote:I'm sure it's dependent upon how big the humidor is, but how many packs do you guys use at the same time?
How big is your humidor? Also it sounds like your humidor my not be seasoned correctly or it’s leaking.

Could be. It's a little cheap-o 25 qty. But I did exaggerate a little. The sponge lasts longer, but I'm just too lazy (and don't smoke cigars enough to remember) to check up on it. I've never really dried out anything because of it though.

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:57 am

The humidipaks are a clear winner over sponge type humidification. The sponge is essentially unregulated unless you're very careful to balance its content between water/PG....so you can actually end up encouraging mold growth in a smaller humidor if it gets too moist.

I'm also a fan of humidity beads. You can find these in several %'s. I used 65% myself for many years before moving to the DR (no A/C and ambient humidity is perfect for cigars, so I haven't used anything in 3 years). They work beautifully, last for a *very* long time, require only small quantity for a given humidor volume, and are very forgiving when you go to replenish them (no PG required; just distilled water). Also, they work both ways - absorbing when it's too wet, and releasing when it is dry. There are brand names out there that market specifically for humidors (Heartfelt, etc), but the generic can be found online much cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

AKPreacher
Elder
Elder

Post by AKPreacher » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:05 pm

My advice, ditch the humidor and get one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Sistema-1870-Col ... th=1&psc=1

Then throw a couple Boveda packs in there and you’re done!

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:19 pm

AKPreacher wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:05 pm

Do you use/recommend a cedar tray?

AKPreacher
Elder
Elder

Post by AKPreacher » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:22 pm

tuttle wrote:
AKPreacher wrote:

I wouldn’t worry about it with the smaller set up like the Sistema tupper but if you end up moving to a coolidor I would recommend trays to help with organization.

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:50 pm

AKPreacher wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:22 pm
tuttle wrote:
AKPreacher wrote:

I wouldn’t worry about it with the smaller set up like the Sistema tupper but if you end up moving to a coolidor I would recommend trays to help with organization.

I wasn't thinking so much for organization but for the anti-fungal benefits (and the smell!)

AKPreacher
Elder
Elder

Post by AKPreacher » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:53 pm

tuttle wrote:
AKPreacher wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:22 pm
tuttle wrote:
AKPreacher wrote:

I wasn't thinking so much for organization but for the anti-fungal benefits (and the smell!)
I’ve never had a problem with either.

Del
Hot Legs
Hot Legs

Post by Del » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:25 pm

tuttle wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:56 am
AKPreacher wrote:

Could be. It's a little cheap-o 25 qty. But I did exaggerate a little. The sponge lasts longer, but I'm just too lazy (and don't smoke cigars enough to remember) to check up on it. I've never really dried out anything because of it though.
I am extremely pleased with my cheap-o 25 humidor. I get consistent humidification with one of those gel-stick thingies.

My hygrometer reads on the high side.... 77%. But the cigars smoke fine, so I'm good.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:39 am

Del wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:25 pm
tuttle wrote:
AKPreacher wrote:

I am extremely pleased with my cheap-o 25 humidor. I get consistent humidification with one of those gel-stick thingies.

My hygrometer reads on the high side.... 77%. But the cigars smoke fine, so I'm good.
Yeah, I'm not displeased with my cheap-o humi, just lazy. :wink:

But I do have the Boveda pack in there now so we'll see!

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:17 am

I have a humidor but haven't used it in several years because I couldn't get the humidity right with the sponge that came with it. I love the idea of these boveda packs.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

AKPreacher
Elder
Elder

Post by AKPreacher » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:31 am

Del wrote:
tuttle wrote:
AKPreacher wrote:

I’d be concerned about mold at that high of humidity

Jester
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Jester » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:34 am

AKPreacher wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:31 am
Del wrote:
tuttle wrote:
AKPreacher wrote:

I honestly never know where I am. I need an electric hydrometer.

[EDIT] With that said I have not yet had a problem with mold or dryness.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

Del
Hot Legs
Hot Legs

Post by Del » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:30 pm

AKPreacher wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:31 am
Del wrote:
tuttle wrote:
AKPreacher wrote:

Cigars are fine. I think my dial just reads high.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon