Humidipaks

Even cigar smokers are welcome here
User avatar
SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1575
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Santiago, Dominican Republic
Contact:

Re: Humidipaks

Post by SandPiper » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:52 pm


Del wrote:
AKPreacher wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:31 am
Del wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:56 am
AKPreacher wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:46 pm
tuttle wrote:I'm sure it's dependent upon how big the humidor is, but how many packs do you guys use at the same time?
How big is your humidor? Also it sounds like your humidor my not be seasoned correctly or it’s leaking.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could be. It's a little cheap-o 25 qty. But I did exaggerate a little. The sponge lasts longer, but I'm just too lazy (and don't smoke cigars enough to remember) to check up on it. I've never really dried out anything because of it though.
I am extremely pleased with my cheap-o 25 humidor. I get consistent humidification with one of those gel-stick thingies.

My hygrometer reads on the high side.... 77%. But the cigars smoke fine, so I'm good.
I’d be concerned about mold at that high of humidity


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cigars are fine. I think my dial just reads high.
Dial hygrometers are notoriously finicky. Even if you calibrate them perfectly, most can't hold it very long. Going by feel and burning characteristics, as mentioned already, works great. As long as you're not seeing mold and they smoke well...RH is just a number :)

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

User avatar
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 13865
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Humidipaks

Post by tuttle » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:07 pm

SandPiper wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:52 pm
Del wrote:
AKPreacher wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:31 am
Del wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:56 am
AKPreacher wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:46 pm
tuttle wrote:I'm sure it's dependent upon how big the humidor is, but how many packs do you guys use at the same time?
How big is your humidor? Also it sounds like your humidor my not be seasoned correctly or it’s leaking.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could be. It's a little cheap-o 25 qty. But I did exaggerate a little. The sponge lasts longer, but I'm just too lazy (and don't smoke cigars enough to remember) to check up on it. I've never really dried out anything because of it though.
I am extremely pleased with my cheap-o 25 humidor. I get consistent humidification with one of those gel-stick thingies.

My hygrometer reads on the high side.... 77%. But the cigars smoke fine, so I'm good.
I’d be concerned about mold at that high of humidity


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cigars are fine. I think my dial just reads high.
Dial hygrometers are notoriously finicky. Even if you calibrate them perfectly, most can't hold it very long. Going by feel and burning characteristics, as mentioned already, works great. As long as you're not seeing mold and they smoke well...RH is just a number :)

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk
That's how I've operated from the beginning. My dial hygro looked cool but I could tell it wasn't right. I never read it and always went by touch. The other nice part about the humidipaks is that I was able to chuck the dial and the hockey puck sponge and give myself room for more cigars :dance:
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 21919
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Humidipaks

Post by Jocose » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:16 pm

tuttle wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:00 am
I'm sure it's dependent upon how big the humidor is, but how many packs do you guys use at the same time?

I use 4 in my 100 capacity and 3 in my 75 capacity.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

Image

User avatar
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 13865
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Humidipaks

Post by tuttle » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:50 am

Jocose wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:16 pm
tuttle wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:00 am
I'm sure it's dependent upon how big the humidor is, but how many packs do you guys use at the same time?

I use 4 in my 100 capacity and 3 in my 75 capacity.
Sounds about right. Since I asked that I did some research and it seems they recommend one pack for every 25 cigars, but they said because of the two-way system you can't really over humidify if you put more packs in. They'll just last longer.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 4564
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: Humidipaks

Post by Fainn » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:32 pm

Bought this. https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/t ... /#p-189070Not sure if its the humidor or hygrometer, but it never reads higher than 50%
Haters gonna hate - Proverbs 9:8.

User avatar
AKPreacher
Elder
Elder
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 11:18 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Humidipaks

Post by AKPreacher » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:07 pm

Fainn wrote:Bought this. https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/t ... /#p-189070Not sure if its the humidor or hygrometer, but it never reads higher than 50%
I hear that a lot of the time the glass top humidors leak around the glass


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply