Spurgeon & Cigars

Even cigar smokers are welcome here
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Spurgeon & Cigars

Post by tuttle » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:38 pm

I think it's fair to say that the most celebrated, lauded, respected, emulatable preacher among Baptists is Charles Spurgeon. He didn't get the nickname "Prince of Preachers" for nothin. But preaching isn't the only thing worthy of emulation. Spurgeon was a lover and partaker of cigars.

Baptists don't get into the whole patron saint thing, but if it was a thing, Charles Spurgeon would be the Baptist patron saint of cigars.

And if you're Baptist, like me, and you smoke cigars, like me, you'll quickly learn that sooner rather than later your fellow Baptists will start shooting their arrows in your direction. Ah, but that's when we pull out our great shield, the one with Spurgeon's bearded face emblazoned upon it, wherein he's wreathed in a bluish smoke of a glorious Havana puro. We can then say with confidence, "If it's good enough for Spurgeon it's good enough for me!" and watch them squirm, trying to reconcile Spurgeon's preaching with his puffing.

There are many anecdotes about Spurgeon's smoking. My favorite is when he was once rebuked for smoking by the church lady for smoking whereupon Spurgeon assured her he smoked only in moderation. "Well," snided she, "how would you know if you've smoked too much?" To this Spurgeon replied, "I'll know if I have smoked too much when I smoke two cigars at the same time."

It seems most people who get cranky about Spurgeon's cigars tend to sort of tuck that part of his life away upstairs in a box in the closet with a "Do Not Open" label on it, but when they do open it up, or have it foisted upon them, the tale goes that Spurgeon, in his latter days suffering from gout and depression, eventually saw the light and quit smoking altogether. Some say he finally 'repented' of this habitual sin.

Ah, but seems the old church ladies fables were wrong.

The picture above is Spurgeon's cigar case. The picture was taken by Spurgeon's great grandson David, who provided it (it seems) to The Spurgeon Archive website, where they claim that this puts to rest the idea that Spurgeon ever gave up smoking. In fact, the half smoked cigar above is likely the last cigar he smoked before his death.

They also have a few close up pictures of the cigar bands, revealing the final brand (not-existent today) he was smoking:

"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Spurgeon & Cigars

Post by JimVH » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:41 pm

Cool post. Thanks.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:52 pm

The puritanical prohibition against drinking and smoking is probably the oddest mark of American Evangelicalism.
tuttle wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:38 pm
Baptists don't get into the whole patron saint thing, but if it was a thing, Charles Spurgeon would be the Baptist patron saint of cigars.
For "cigar smokers," certainly! Cigars have no need of a spiritual mentor.
=====================================================================

GK Chesterton was as fat as Moody AND he enjoyed cigars like Spurgeon.

Dale Ahlquist (founder and president of the American Chesterton Society) likes to tell this story:

Dale was a devout Baptist when he discovered GK Chesterton. As he was establishing the ACS, he encountered a great many Catholics. Along the way, he asked whether GKC might some day be named as a Saint of the Catholic Church.

The answer was often something like, "No way! Chesterton smoked and drank, and he was way too fat! Such a man could never be a Saint."

Dale's reply was, "No, wait! You've got it all wrong! To us Baptists, all of your saints are like 14-year-old virgins. If you could make this jolly, 300-lb, cigar-chomping man into Saint, then I would become a Catholic."

Dale entered the Catholic Church decades ago. As great sign of God's sense of humor, he is one of the key leaders in seeing a cause opened for Chesterton's canonization.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:05 pm

I heard the first flappers were Baptists.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:45 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:05 pm
My grandmother was Baptist and probably a flapper.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:20 am

My favorite Spurgeon story: Someone left a note on the pulpit that said, "fool." He looked at it and told the congregation, "I'm used to getting letters with no signature. This time I've gotten a signature with no letter."
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

Del

Post by Del » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:04 pm

coco wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:45 am
DepartedLight wrote:
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:06 pm

Del wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:04 pm
coco wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:45 am
DepartedLight wrote:
JB's mom was a chocolate cake. True story.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:52 am

Del wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:52 pm
The puritanical prohibition against drinking and smoking is probably the oddest mark of American Evangelicalism.
tuttle wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:38 pm
For "cigar smokers," certainly! Cigars have no need of a spiritual mentor.
:lol: I told you we don't do the whole patron saint thing!
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis