Humidor related questions

Even cigar smokers are welcome here
Post Reply
User avatar
peter cornbriar
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: 90' from Boswell's,like in Penn's Woods

Humidor related questions

Post by peter cornbriar » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:13 pm

Need some advice:
These questions may be inter-related.
1) How much longer does it take for cigars wrapped in cellophane to absorb the ambient humidity in a Humidor than ones not wrapped in cellophane <(We all know cellophane is porous,right)? I have 60 cigarillos about 4 inch,30 ring gauge, all in cellophane.

2) I just replaced my old humidification system with the Boveda system > put a jumbo 320g packet in my 75 cigar sized humidor. I did this 3 days ago.
Since then, (yesterday), I had the lid off to re-mount the hinge assembly. Did it outside where ambient humidity was about 77% and total time lid off was about 10".
I'm getting no more than 65% humidity from a 72% packet. I should be getting 72%,right? Or am I just impatient and need to wait a few more days?
My hygrometer is accurate,BTW.
The glory of God is the nature of God - that God is good.He is unfailingly good.He never changes,He will always be good.God has called us to do what we cannot do,only He can do it.He has called us to live in His faithfulness,He has called us to live in His consistency,that He will come and do all the things that need to be done.

User avatar
AKPreacher
Usher
Usher
Posts: 335
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 11:18 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Humidor related questions

Post by AKPreacher » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:24 pm

I would say that if it was holding rh before the remounting of the hinges it might not be sealing fully now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
peter cornbriar
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: 90' from Boswell's,like in Penn's Woods

Re: Humidor related questions

Post by peter cornbriar » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:41 am

AKPreacher wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:24 pm
I would say that if it was holding rh before the remounting of the hinges it might not be sealing fully now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you,AK, I gave the humidor the 'ole dollar test and it flunked - seems in back of the lid the buck slipped out too easily when pulled between lid/humidor body. Same on one side. OK,fine, I will fix this.I'm thinking of getting that foam tape and run it around the areas where the buck slid out too easily,(near the hinges), as I cannot tighten screws any deeper. What does you and CPS think of that? Like what diameter tape to use?
The glory of God is the nature of God - that God is good.He is unfailingly good.He never changes,He will always be good.God has called us to do what we cannot do,only He can do it.He has called us to live in His faithfulness,He has called us to live in His consistency,that He will come and do all the things that need to be done.

User avatar
peter cornbriar
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: 90' from Boswell's,like in Penn's Woods

Re: Humidor related questions

Post by peter cornbriar » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:27 am

peter cornbriar wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:41 am
AKPreacher wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:24 pm
I would say that if it was holding rh before the remounting of the hinges it might not be sealing fully now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you,AK, I gave the humidor the 'ole dollar test and it flunked - seems in back of the lid the buck slipped out too easily when pulled between lid/humidor body. Same on one side. OK,fine, I will fix this.I'm thinking of getting that foam tape and run it around the areas where the buck slid out too easily,(near the hinges), as I cannot tighten screws any deeper. What does you and CPS think of that? Like what diameter tape to use?
... and what thickness?
The glory of God is the nature of God - that God is good.He is unfailingly good.He never changes,He will always be good.God has called us to do what we cannot do,only He can do it.He has called us to live in His faithfulness,He has called us to live in His consistency,that He will come and do all the things that need to be done.

User avatar
AKPreacher
Usher
Usher
Posts: 335
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 11:18 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Humidor related questions

Post by AKPreacher » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:20 pm

I have no idea about foam tape. Personally I dumped the humidor for a tupperdor and coolidor. Way way easier, no seasoning time, and very little maintenance.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 27549
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Humidor related questions

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:58 pm

I found this riveting for the get go. My comments inline.

peter cornbriar wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:13 pm
Need some advice:
These questions may be inter-related.
1) How much longer does it take for cigars wrapped in cellophane to absorb the ambient humidity in a Humidor than ones not wrapped in cellophane <(We all know cellophane is porous,right)? I have 60 cigarillos about 4 inch,30 ring gauge, all in cellophane.I don't know. But the way this questioned is framed; I just can't wait for all the brainiacs here to get their mojo on in all that.

2) I just replaced my old humidification system with the Boveda system > put a jumbo 320g packet in my 75 cigar sized humidor. I did this 3 days ago.
Since then, (yesterday), I had the lid off to re-mount the hinge assembly. Did it outside where ambient humidity was about 77% and total time lid off was about 10".
I'm getting no more than 65% humidity from a 72% packet. I should be getting 72%,right? Or am I just impatient and need to wait a few more days?
My hygrometer is accurate,BTW. Whoever in the hell thought peter cornbriar's hygrometer was rigged is dead to me. You got that, zombie <zederated>?




DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 37516
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Humidor related questions

Post by Del » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:51 pm

When I buy a box of cigars, I take all of the cigars out of their cellophane wrappers and place them in my humidor to equilibrate.

I think the cellophane is for the benefit of cigar-stores with walk-in humidors, for selling single cigars from the box.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
AKPreacher
Usher
Usher
Posts: 335
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 11:18 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Humidor related questions

Post by AKPreacher » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:03 pm

The cello on/off topic is much debated between cigar enthusiasts. I have found no real difference except the cello protects my cigars.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod
Posts: 13071
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Humidor related questions

Post by tuttle » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:55 am

AKPreacher wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:03 pm
I have found no real difference except the cello protects my cigars.
I kind of take the same view. If it comes in cello I just leave it be.
"Do mo betta." -FredS

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21925
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Humidor related questions

Post by JimVH » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:54 am

tuttle wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:55 am
AKPreacher wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:03 pm
I have found no real difference except the cello protects my cigars.
I kind of take the same view. If it comes in cello I just leave it be.
I've always operated under the belief that the cellophane is beneficial, slowing the exchange of moisture back and forth. I'm not as attentive with a humidor as I should be and feel like the cellophane offers me a little forgiveness.

Post Reply