Gas Station Cigars

Even cigar smokers are welcome here
Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Gas Station Cigars

Post by Cleon » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:22 am

I rarely smoke cigars but I've been craving one. I'd like to get one for the weekend. I'm not all that experienced with cigars. The most memorable cigar that I had was one that came back from Puerto Rico with a friend. It was beefy- deep and rich. Like a full on English Mix. That's what I'm chasing, I think.

Can I get something like this in a small town Midwestern gas station or discount tobacco stop? Doesn't have to be perfect, just not a Swisher or some grape flavored, beef jerky looking stick.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

ryland
More of this
More of this

Re: Gas Station Cigars

Post by ryland » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:58 am

Some of the tobacco shops here have humidors with reasonably priced cigars. I'm not a tobacco snob but find the quality of swisher sweets and dutch masters to be so off-putting that I couldn't finish one.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:09 am

Cleon wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:22 am
The most memorable cigar that I had was one that came back from Puerto Rico with a friend. It was beefy- deep and rich. Like a full on English Mix. That's what I'm chasing, I think.
You're very unlikely to find anything like that at a gas station in southern IN.

I have come to enjoy gas station cigars in the right context and will often pick up a pouch of cheap cigars to take fishing. Most are aromatic in some way, so there's that, but I usually get Backwoods originals. Once upon a time I would pick up Garcia Vega's camping. They might still be good, but they don't carry them around here and I haven't smoked one in maybe a decade.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:10 am

ryland wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:58 am
Some of the tobacco shops here have humidors with reasonably priced cigars. I'm not a tobacco snob but find the quality of swisher sweets and dutch masters to be so off-putting that I couldn't finish one.
I rarely don't finish a cheap cigar, but I did not finish my one package of Dutch Master's. The worst I have tried.
Sola Deo Gloria

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:23 am

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:09 am
Cleon wrote:
The most memorable cigar that I had was one that came back from Puerto Rico with a friend. It was beefy- deep and rich. Like a full on English Mix. That's what I'm chasing, I think.
You're very unlikely to find anything like that at a gas station in southern IN.

I have come to enjoy gas station cigars in the right context and will often pick up a pouch of cheap cigars to take fishing. Most are aromatic in some way, so there's that, but I usually get Backwoods originals. Once upon a time I would pick up Garcia Vega's camping. They might still be good, but they don't carry them around here and I haven't smoked one in maybe a decade.
Yeah, not looking for anything aromatic at all. Nothing sweet at least.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:43 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBL3R2Nyo9c
I used to smoke Hav-A-Tampas with the Beechwood tip.
I haven't seen any around here in decades.
Spanish Maid Rum soaked crooks weren't too bad.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:55 am

Around here, a lot of the liquor stores carry cigars and a lot of stores have Oliva and Punch. I even found a local store that had Rocky Patel.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:42 am

Gas station cigars are for rolling blunts. If you lived nearby I'd have you over for a well aged cigar out of my stash.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:53 am

Jocose wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:42 am
Gas station cigars are for rolling blunts. If you lived nearby I'd have you over for a well aged cigar out of my stash.
I had to look up blunt just to make sure. Yep, I can get one of those pretty easy at the record store down the block. :lol:

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:35 pm

Cleon wrote:
I rarely smoke cigars but I've been craving one. I'd like to get one for the weekend. I'm not all that experienced with cigars. The most memorable cigar that I had was one that came back from Puerto Rico with a friend. It was beefy- deep and rich. Like a full on English Mix. That's what I'm chasing, I think.

Can I get something like this in a small town Midwestern gas station or discount tobacco stop? Doesn't have to be perfect, just not a Swisher or some grape flavored, beef jerky looking stick.
You'd be better off ordering online. You're not going to get the flavors of Puerto Rico in a gas station cigar. Unless you're looking for that essence of Puerto Rican bathroom floor.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:43 am

I've recently tried Game brand cigars sold at the local thrift store; I'm not a cigar connoisseur but they tasted pretty good and natural (they claim to be imported from South America and made of natural leaf tobacco). They had a few flavored varieties, but they tasted bad to me.

If it was me, I'd recommend any which are labeled as being made of natural tobacco, and without any flavorings.

AKPreacher
Elder
Elder

Post by AKPreacher » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:48 pm

Wouldn’t waste time and money on gas station cigars, there are so many affordable options online that would far surpass what you would find at a gas station. If you want some recommendations I’d be happy to point you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:13 pm

My favorite so-called gas station cigar, if you can find 'em, are Travis Club.

But I've puffed on many King Edward Imperials. I rode in a tow truck once with a guy that chewed King Edward's by the box. One after another like chain smoking, only chewing. After two or three he'd spit the whole mess out and start over. So, I tried one, and I can say that it may have been the nastiest thing I've ever had in my mouth, besides vomit.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:50 am

When I was 20 or so, I would regularly grab Swisher Sweets and thought they were OK. My Uncle smoked Garcia Vega and they were stronger and still OK. Maybe I have turned into a snob or maybe those brands have dropped their quality...but I tried them recently and they are just nasty. No thank you. There are many not good bargain cigars out there that are still WAY better than the Swisher Sweet and Garcia Vegas that I tried.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:07 pm

Back 30 years ago they used to sell Robert Burns cigars that were very good at convenience stores but no more. Now it's just those flavored cigars. I have to go to an actual cigar store in a town 50 miles away to get good cigars and occasionally I do. My favorite is the CAO Brasilias. I used to like the Rocky Patel Edge but those cigars went down in quality, bad draw and runners. Cigars are a crapshoot in my opinion. To pay over ten dollars for a cigar and then find out it's unsmokable is frustrating to me. That's why I like pipes better.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:26 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:07 pm
Back 30 years ago they used to sell Robert Burns cigars that were very good at convenience stores but no more. Now it's just those flavored cigars. I have to go to an actual cigar store in a town 50 miles away to get good cigars and occasionally I do. My favorite is the CAO Brasilias. I used to like the Rocky Patel Edge but those cigars went down in quality, bad draw and runners. Cigars are a crapshoot in my opinion. To pay over ten dollars for a cigar and then find out it's unsmokable is frustrating to me. That's why I like pipes better.
When was the Rocky Patel issue? They had an issue about 3 years ago but it was said that they cleaned up the issue. I had a couple about 16 months ago and they were OK. Is there a new issue or?
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:41 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:26 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:07 pm
When was the Rocky Patel issue? They had an issue about 3 years ago but it was said that they cleaned up the issue. I had a couple about 16 months ago and they were OK. Is there a new issue or?
It was about that long ago. It got so bad that the Cigar Store in Greenville I go to quit carrying RP. He said it was a quality control issue. I hope they have cleared it up by now. I like those Edge cigars but I hate paying money for a cigar that won't draw.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:53 pm

The last 2 or 3 I have smoked have been fine...it was a big enough issue that several shops here quit carrying them.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

AnungUnRama
Congregation
Congregation

Post by AnungUnRama » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:12 am

Gas stations around here used to sell those individually wrapped premiums like R&J, Punch and Partagas. They stopped a while ago. No idea why but that was darn convenient when they did.

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:35 pm

I've not tried any of them, but some of the drug stores around here carry cigars that appear to be at least one step up from Swisher Sweets and probably a few steps up.

I have to agree with AKPreacher though: you're better off ordering some online. You have to buy a few at a time, but the price per cigar is probably better than anything you'll find locally and you'll get much better quality. Even the cheap, budget cigars online are going to be better than what the gas station is likely to carry and you can get for as little as $1-2 per cigar.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.