Samuel Gawith's 'Navy Flake'

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:21 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:
CharisPiper wrote:
ArnieM wrote:Not sure what to say now.

Last year I bought two tins of SG Navy flake and absolutely loved it. Every single bowl. Based on that I bought 2 pounds of bulk , and no matter how I try I just do not care for it. I have heard that some brands are different in bulk vs cans and now I understand.
Hmm, interesting. Anyone else experienced this with SG Navy Flake?
I will post a comment as to whether the 250g package is just like the tin, or not, when it finally gets to me. Maybe a few more weeks? Who knows.
Just like which tin ...one you've had aging from a different batch?

Buy a tin from the recent arrived batch if you're going to compare. Eliminate obvious reasons for difference. It's hard to conclude anything with confidence otherwise. With the shortages you're more likely to eliminated batch-to-batch and age differences. Otherwise if they're different what can you conclude?
Last edited by Rusty on Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:28 pm

Rusty wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
CharisPiper wrote:

Last year I bought two tins of SG Navy flake and absolutely loved it. Every single bowl. Based on that I bought 2 pounds of bulk , and no matter how I try I just do not care for it. I have heard that some brands are different in bulk vs cans and now I understand.
I will post a comment as to whether the 250g package is just like the tin, or not, when it finally gets to me. Maybe a few more weeks? Who knows.

Just like which tin? One you've had aging from a different batch?

Buy a tin from the recent arrived batch if you're going to compare. It's hard to conclude anything otherwise. With the shortages you're more likely to eliminated batch-to-batch and age differences. Otherwise if they're different what can you conclude?
An ordinary, 50g tin that was not aged. Just wondering if the 250g packaging makes any difference.

And I'm going to buy a lot of tins of this and other SGs when they come back.
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:39 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:
Rusty wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
CharisPiper wrote:

Just like which tin? One you've had aging from a different batch?

Buy a tin from the recent arrived batch if you're going to compare. It's hard to conclude anything otherwise. With the shortages you're more likely to eliminated batch-to-batch and age differences. Otherwise if they're different what can you conclude?
An ordinary, 50g tin that was not aged. Just wondering if the 250g packaging makes any difference.

And I'm going to buy a lot of tins of this and other SGs when they come back.
But make sure you're comparing things that are likely to be the same inside the packaging. Then you have a valid reason to claim that they're different solely for packaging. Which I think they should be but it will become larger over time.

Fred Hanna made the comment a few years ago that GH Balkan reminded him of #759 but only the tinned blend. He claimed that the bulk didn't. I had both so I tried them. The bulk reminded me of #759. The tinned blend didn't. They had both been aged.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:18 pm

Man if this stuff wasn't hard to come by I'd get some, sounds good!
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:58 am

I still have a tin of this sitting on the shelf. I'm really looking forward to trying it. I had no idea SG products were about to vanish, I just tossed a tin in my last order out of curiosity. Glad I did, eh?
Sola Deo Gloria

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:17 am

Actually, my tobacconist has a couple tins left, if I can finish up my current streak of PAD, I may pick one up. I almost did the other day, but decided to save my money for pipes as I've got plenty of tobacco right now and I have my eye on a few pipes.
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:22 pm

pipesandcigars (remember the discount!) seems to have this in bulk right now, and pretty cheap at 41.02 for a pound. At least, the buy button was there and my order went through. We'll see!
Audita Musarum sacerdos

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:53 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:pipesandcigars (remember the discount!) seems to have this in bulk right now, and pretty cheap at 41.02 for a pound. At least, the buy button was there and my order went through. We'll see!
Curses, foiled again! Now I have two pounds on backorder with three shops. If that ship ever comes in, I should be set with this blend for a while, and then to find some FVF!
Audita Musarum sacerdos

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Re: Samuel Gawith's 'Navy Flake'

Post by Gabriel » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:08 am

FoxHound wrote:First, let it be known that this is not your run-of-the-mill rum-topped boring navy flake. Gawith bills it as "choice Virginia blended with Latakia," which may sound uninspiring, but this blend is anything but boring. This is one of the most interesting tobaccos I've tried this year.

The tin aroma is rich, full, and pungent. The only thing I can compare it to is a glass of old-vines Grenache - earthy, meaty, with a certain leathery, smoked beef quality. Fascinating. The flakes are moist enough to separate cleanly, and they fold and rub out neatly. I tore one into four sections, each of which I partially rubbed out and stuffed into my Bjarne bulldog. I sprinkled a few loose bits on top and lit up.

The Virginia used in this flake is heavy and rich, with a dark organic flavor. The characteristic citrus overtones are present, but edgier than one might find in a milder-mannered Virginia flake. The flavor is reminiscent of Gawith's powerhouse '1792 Flake,' which suggests to me that 'Navy Flake' uses the same stripped and steamed African leaf as its big cousin. The Latakia is present, but it is difficult to pick out in the melange of spice and dense, smoky, earthy flavors. Despite its simple composition, 'Navy Flake' is deep, complex, and irrepressibly interesting, like a dram of Cragganmore or a glass of 40-year-old Vintage Port. The nicotine level is substantial but not overpowering, and the finish is pleasantly clean.

'Navy Flake' is a revelation for me. While not all pipemen will appreciate this style or this particular iteration, I find the Scotch-like depth and complexity to be a fine match for my lifestyle. This is a blend I plan to keep on the side table... right next to the Lagavulin.
Cracked my tin last night. I've only had one bowl so... take my opinion for what it's worth, but this sounds like an excellent description. I especially like the comparison to Scotch. Take a good, sweet Virginia and add just enough smokey goodness. I foresee many enjoyable smokes in this tin.

I love the somewhat haphazard presentation of the flakes in the tin. I opened it up and my daughter immediately said it reminded her of bacon :D .
Sola Deo Gloria

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:15 pm

Scored a tin of this, can't wait to open it, need to finish some other's first though.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:15 pm

Scored a tin of this, can't wait to open it, need to finish some other's first though.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:31 pm

Gabriel wrote:
FoxHound wrote:First, let it be known that this is not your run-of-the-mill rum-topped boring navy flake. Gawith bills it as "choice Virginia blended with Latakia," which may sound uninspiring, but this blend is anything but boring. This is one of the most interesting tobaccos I've tried this year.

The tin aroma is rich, full, and pungent. The only thing I can compare it to is a glass of old-vines Grenache - earthy, meaty, with a certain leathery, smoked beef quality. Fascinating. The flakes are moist enough to separate cleanly, and they fold and rub out neatly. I tore one into four sections, each of which I partially rubbed out and stuffed into my Bjarne bulldog. I sprinkled a few loose bits on top and lit up.

The Virginia used in this flake is heavy and rich, with a dark organic flavor. The characteristic citrus overtones are present, but edgier than one might find in a milder-mannered Virginia flake. The flavor is reminiscent of Gawith's powerhouse '1792 Flake,' which suggests to me that 'Navy Flake' uses the same stripped and steamed African leaf as its big cousin. The Latakia is present, but it is difficult to pick out in the melange of spice and dense, smoky, earthy flavors. Despite its simple composition, 'Navy Flake' is deep, complex, and irrepressibly interesting, like a dram of Cragganmore or a glass of 40-year-old Vintage Port. The nicotine level is substantial but not overpowering, and the finish is pleasantly clean.

'Navy Flake' is a revelation for me. While not all pipemen will appreciate this style or this particular iteration, I find the Scotch-like depth and complexity to be a fine match for my lifestyle. This is a blend I plan to keep on the side table... right next to the Lagavulin.
Cracked my tin last night. I've only had one bowl so... take my opinion for what it's worth, but this sounds like an excellent description. I especially like the comparison to Scotch. Take a good, sweet Virginia and add just enough smokey goodness. I foresee many enjoyable smokes in this tin.

I love the somewhat haphazard presentation of the flakes in the tin. I opened it up and my daughter immediately said it reminded her of bacon :D .
Yep. FoxHound's review is still King. Opened another tin of this a couple weeks ago and still feel the same way. Good stuff.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:42 pm

While I’ve had many tins since my last comment, I took a long break from this blend until this winter. I opened a new tin severl weeks ago and have noticed a change.

1. The flakes are different. They used to broad, thin, leathery, and somewhat inconsistent. They were fantastic. This last tin is full of uniform rectangular flakes of the same thickness.

2. The flavors seem... muddled. I couldn’t say if I have changed or the blend has changed, but I’m not getting the great sweet/smoky flavor I remember.

Anyone else smoked this recently and notice differences?
Sola Deo Gloria

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:53 pm

I have a few tins of this with several years on them, may be time to crack one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:01 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:53 pm
I have a few tins of this with several years on them, may be time to crack one...

I have smoked a few older tins of this in the past, bought off of our own FoP. They were excellent in their own way, but if you’re looking for a strong lat presence, it will be somewhat faded.
Sola Deo Gloria

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:09 am

Gabriel wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:53 pm

I have smoked a few older tins of this in the past, bought off of our own FoP. They were excellent in their own way, but if you’re looking for a strong lat presence, it will be somewhat faded.
I usually don’t mind the faded Latakia, sometimes fresh is a bit to over the top for me anyway, it just gets so smooth with a little age.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:56 am

This was my "Navy Flake" choice for awhile, then I discovered C&Ds Blockade Runner. They are not all that close in taste, I just liked Blockade Runner so much that I kind of forgot about SG Navy Flake...I may have to fix that on my next trip to the shop
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:58 am

I looked for my tin of this, I suspect another box of tobacco is hiding in storage because I swear I have some, but can’t find it. Oh well.