Sir Walter Raleigh

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Sir Walter Raleigh

Post by 7formy1911 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:45 am

In my quest for good smokes I always seem to shoot for the esoteric and miss the obvious. While I'm a huge fan of Prince Albert as many of you know I haven't really looked into codger burleys beyond PA. Being thrifty I got the idea to head by the nearby tobacco stop and see if they had any pipe tobacco at all. They had the typical stuff like PA, SWR, Half & Half and Carter Hall. I picked up a pouch of SWR and Half & Half since I've actually never tried them before. I had a newly acquired estate pipe in hand so I figured why not break it in with SWR. Upon opening the pouch I was greeted with the smell of raisins, figs and an ever so slight rum smell. My wife said it smelled like a "fruity granola bar" which I agree is pretty accurate. It's a pretty chunky cut which I can say I'm ambivalent about. Loading up my new Amphora sandblasted bulldog I gravity filled the pipe with an extra pinch on top and gave it a nice charring light. One more match and I was off to the races. SWR struck me as a nice burley with some of the raisin and rum flavor coming through but not as strong as I suspected. There was some burley nuttiness that I enjoy but not as much as PA. The one detraction was that it can turn bitter if you puff a little too hard or it's a bit windy out but it's quite easily controlled as long as you puff slow and steady. It burned fairly fast and even though this is a pretty large pipe I was done in about 40 to 45 minutes. That can be good or bad depending on time constraints or how much free time you have to burn (pun intended!). If you want something simple, not heavy on nicotine, tasty with some burley nuttiness then SWR will certainly fill the bill. It's not a nicotine or flavor blast and it's quite simple from beginning to end but I truely am admiring simplicity both in life and pipe tobacco. Next up... Half & Half when I get a quiet moment to myself. Maybe it's time for a trip back to the tobacco stop and pick up some other codger burleys like Carter Hall and Granger if they have it! Merry Christmas... it's not too late to ask for a pouch in your stocking :wink:
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

morleysson
Congregation
Congregation

Post by morleysson » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:19 am

Over the years, I have been an active smoker of SWReg, although I find the current Conwood from Lane offering to be better than the original Brown and Williamson blend. Better because the cut is larger and packs firmly while there is a sturdy burley base which allows a smoother understated burn, more like what ERRd was. I always found the Brown/Wiulliamson version to be much like grape-nuts, w/ a slight aftertaste which was not a big hit. I didn't find the aromatic version to be equal to the task, though.
Our goal...is to help make God's love manifest in the world. Teilhard de Chardin

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:34 am

morleysson wrote:Over the years, I have been an active smoker of SWReg, although I find the current Conwood from Lane offering to be better than the original Brown and Williamson blend. Better because the cut is larger and packs firmly while there is a sturdy burley base which allows a smoother understated burn, more like what ERRd was. I always found the Brown/Wiulliamson version to be much like grape-nuts, w/ a slight aftertaste which was not a big hit. I didn't find the aromatic version to be equal to the task, though.
I decided to pan on the aromatic version SWR. A solid codger burley is what I'm after and I'm going to add Carter Hall and (gasp) Velvet to my "to try" list. I came into the game a little late to try Edgeworth Ready Rubbed but I poke about in tobacco stores seeing if there is some long lost can hiding somewhere. No luck yet on that though.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:24 pm

Well, 7formy1911, you have THE expert's opinion. Morleysson is IMHO the grand prince of burley mixtures. Even A. Morley (where the heck IS he? BTW) would defer to Bob Runowski (Morleysson). Check out his reviews on TobaccoReviews. Excellent!
I have smoked all of the above, & am overdue to try some of them again. Recently bought a big tub of Kentucky Club Mild, another good one. Now I'll have to get a SWR based on Bob's opinion of the new stuff. It, and Half & Half were my lifesavers in times of theatrical unemployment when I couldn't afford to smoke much Balkan Sobranie.
(the newer Half & Half, BTW, is IMO harsher & not as good a flavor as the original American Tobacco Co. version; but I would defer to Bob's opinion on that as well)
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:56 pm

SWR is the one I haven't tried yet. I have and like CH, PA and H&H. My sweet tooth gravitates toward the CH and H&H though but PA has the best nuttiness IMO. I often consider blending all three together and see what comes of it.

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:07 pm

Thunktank wrote:SWR is the one I haven't tried yet. I have and like CH, PA and H&H. My sweet tooth gravitates toward the CH and H&H though but PA has the best nuttiness IMO. I often consider blending all three together and see what comes of it.
The nuttiness of PA has me always coming back for more. It's a hard flavor to beat to say the least. How long has Conwood from Lane been making SWR? Anyone know?

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:27 pm

To me SWR is a close second to PA.

I like the flavor of CH but to me its less forgiving than other codger burley blends and will taste acrid if you don't get things right in terms of puffing and packing. That and the room not for CH smells like cigarettes, especial bad when smoking in my car.

Haven't trid H&H, yet (maybe when and if I ever finish all the open stuff I have). Only had a chance to have one bowl of Velvet, it hasn't impressed me much. And SWR aromatic don't like it at all, it has a slight anise note which I detest in anything be it food, drink or smoke.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:53 pm

I've found SWR regular to be a very decent smoke, though it seems quite mild. I have only tried it from the pouch, so the tub version might be better - something I've found to be the case with most of the tobaccos I've tried that are available in both types of containers.

I do like SWR aromatic. It is one of the sweeter aromatics I've tried and due to this, I might get tired of it fairly quickly if I tried to smoke it all day. I typically don't smoke more than one bowl of an aromatic tobacco in a day's time.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:59 pm

I've given burleys a good try, and mostly.... they just don't ring my bell.

Mostly because I admire Thoth and A. Morley, I really really tried to get into Prince Albert. I'll probably keep trying.... someday my taste will come around to it, I hope.

I think I've found a burley to love.... Mac Baren Golden Extra. This one has the rich burley texture, with natural sweetness and a bit of nuttiness. Mmmmm!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

TheDuke
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by TheDuke » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:05 pm

Steverino wrote:I've found SWR regular to be a very decent smoke, though it seems quite mild. I have only tried it from the pouch, so the tub version might be better - something I've found to be the case with most of the tobaccos I've tried that are available in both types of containers.
Absolutly my feelings! I have a tub on hand.Once a week it's my allday smoke. When I need alittle more 'strength' to it ,I'll add some 5Brothers!
Allway's works out right nice! :wink:
EM
O give thanks unto the LORD;for he is good;for his mercy endureth forever.Psalm 136;1 

Man...smoking a turd....could there be anything worse? Well....maybe smoking a cob. SimeonTurner3/5/10                         

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:22 pm

+JMJ+
I must add to the commendations of SWR. Its one of the best, widely-available OTC blends available, IMO. I most especially like the burning qualities of the plug-cut.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

morleysson
Congregation
Congregation

Post by morleysson » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:48 pm

Two added thoughts. 1) Conwood bought Lane's products in July 2008, and IMHO has done a decent job in presenting the SWR (and might have improved it a bit), which is why I enjoy smoking it. An oddity with Lane was that their QC was so lackidaisical at one point that I thought I was smoking SWR when I bought ERRd. Fortunately, Lane corrected the problem before they sold to Conwood.
2) Be wary of blending outside a company. If one is going to afterblend, use Middleton tobaccos with other Middletons, Pinkertons with other Pinkertons. There is an inherent consistency in the individual quality, but one may be disappointed otherwise. I have found that Velvet, which many scorn, is a fine middle-road tobacco, but just don't expect high art. Velvet seems to blend well with Granger, but not so well with H&H, and not well at all with Middletons. I really enjoy Walnut and KyClub blue or PA. 5Bros is the best to blend with anything.
Our goal...is to help make God's love manifest in the world. Teilhard de Chardin

Walkman
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Walkman » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:58 pm

I agree with the other positive reviews. PA is very good and inexpensive too. :thumbsup:
“The smoke, like burning incense, tow´rs; So should a praying heart of yours, With ardent cries, Surmount the skies. Thus think, and smoke tobacco.” Ralph Erskine

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:27 pm

Learned from my dad while enjoying our pipes on the back porch that his Grandpa, my great grandpa whom I never had the pleasure to meet, smoked SWR almost exclusively. My dad has been in story mode. I've learned more about great grandpa Roland this Christmas then I ever knew before. For example, didn't even know anyone else in my family smoked a pipe! Is the sophistication of pipe smoking hereditary? I ask this because I too am a fan of SWR.

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:17 pm

I picked some of this up, and I really enjoy it.

It's almost better than Prince Albert. 8O

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:46 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:I picked some of this up, and I really enjoy it.

It's almost better than Prince Albert. 8O
Blasphemy!!!!

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:17 pm

xxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:42 pm

+JMJ+
MrPiper wrote:Out of nostalgia I gave it a try and found that SWReg is a very nice tobacco all around. I see here that it is frequently compared to PA, but I find that to be similar to comparing a Ford pickup truck to a John Deer tractor. They are both machines but are quite unique outside of that similarity.

For me, SWReg is nutty, with a fruit/plum/raisin undertone that is pleasantly sweet. I really enjoyed it and give it the merit it deserves on its own. Rather than compare it to any other blend I will just become a fan and smoke it when I feel like it.
I like it a lot. I really like the cut, as well.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:56 am

I received a free pouch of SWR through the recent offer on the Lane website and took it with me this past weekend to our cabin in IN. I'd never tried SWR, so this was my first exposure to it.

The tobacco smelled very sweet in the pouch, stronger and sweeter than I expected. It was also very dry. Dry enough that I was a little put off and afraid that I'd gotten a bad pouch. My fears were unfounded however, as it smoked just fine. I LOVE the "nuggety" cut. Easy to load while talking and not really paying attention to the pipe, trouble free and convenient. The cut was probably my favorite feature of the tobacco. Lighting was easy and the burn was fairly trouble free. The taste was not exactly what I expected, I have hard time describing it now. I expected something similar to PA and it wasn't. Some burley, some sweeter/darker taste; not unpleasant, but not the same light/nutty taste that I expected.

Unfortunately, the "room note" was pretty well panned by most folks around me. It was fine outside, but no one was particularly excited about it wafting in the windows. I believe it was described as: "Eh, smells like pipe smoke. A little harsher than some." Ah well.

I did smoke two bowls back to back and enjoyed it. If the aroma was a little sweeter, I'd consider getting it more often. As it was, it might be a good cheap, summertime tobacco for me. A fishing, working tobacco.
Sola Deo Gloria

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:41 am

I've tried it a few times over the years and it never took with me. Recently, though, I was out of town without any tobacco and SWR was the only thing I could get. I really enjoyed it this time. It also performs better than PA when I set it down for a while (hours/days) and relight later. In fact, I haven't smoked any PA since buying this pouch.