Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Sir Walter Raleigh

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:48 am

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:27 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:09 am
My uncle Bill smoked cigars mostly, but when he got home from work for lunch or for the day he would fill one of his two pipes and sit at the kitchen table and smoke with coffee if at lunch or a Bud if after work. He would smoke one of three tobaccos, Prince Albert, Borkum Riff Bourbon or Sir Walter Raleigh. When I was over visiting my cousin, I always liked it when he smoked SWR as I liked the red and black foil pouch and the smell of the smoke.

I smoke SWR when I am in the hills/mountains. It is my early morning with some coffee in the high country smoke. Great to sit and enjoy the view with a pipe.
Yes, indeed, Blood. Well said.
Good sentiments.
So, I went to an old grocery store nearby today and asked the cashier for a pouch of SWR. I had seen it behind the counter previously, and knew it was there. She found it, dusted it off and handed it to me after ringing it up. "Never sold this before", she said.
If I'm reading the ink jet numbers correctly, the pouch is from 2006. It's dryer than the sand in Goose's back yard in July. Loaded up a bowl, and very surprisingly, it's still a smooth, slow burning smoke. Not as much flavor as I had imagined, but a little hydration may help with that.
It's a tobacco for relaxation for sure, and one for remembering the old men and their pipes.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:06 am

I re-assessed my tobacco stash over the weekend and discovered another pouch of SWR! I decided to jar it with the one I recently purchased. It seems even unopened and in the sealed plastic sleeve, the tobacco can get really dry, so getting these into a jar was a great plan. Since it was out I enjoyed a bowl in a Peterson Bulldog
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

KYBURLEY
Congregation
Congregation

Post by KYBURLEY » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:21 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:06 am
I re-assessed my tobacco stash over the weekend and discovered another pouch of SWR! I decided to jar it with the one I recently purchased. It seems even unopened and in the sealed plastic sleeve, the tobacco can get really dry, so getting these into a jar was a great plan. Since it was out I enjoyed a bowl in a Peterson Bulldog
I love SWR but can only vouch for the STG version. I think they started production ca. 2010, or thereabouts. It's a much better product so you owe it to yourself to try that version of it.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:41 am

KYBURLEY wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:21 am
Bloodhound wrote:
I love SWR but can only vouch for the STG version. I think they started production ca. 2010, or thereabouts. It's a much better product so you owe it to yourself to try that version of it.
What attributes of the STG version make it better than the previous one?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

KYBURLEY
Congregation
Congregation

Post by KYBURLEY » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:55 am

Rusty wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:41 am
KYBURLEY wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
The cut is chunkier which works better for Burley, in my opinion of course. It also seems to use better quality Burley. The better leaf seems to be the case with most of their versions of old American drugstore blends. I really like their Half & Half too, which also has a chunkier cut than the Pinkerton product. Of course, some people will probably say the exact opposite, and prefer the older versions.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:14 am

KYBURLEY wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:55 am
Rusty wrote:
KYBURLEY wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
The cut is chunkier which works better for Burley, in my opinion of course. It also seems to use better quality Burley. The better leaf seems to be the case with most of their versions of old American drugstore blends. I really like their Half & Half too, which also has a chunkier cut than the Pinkerton product. Of course, some people will probably say the exact opposite, and prefer the older versions.
Good stuff. Enjoying a big bowl full of SWR at this very moment. I can extract/ sip the best flavor by keeping it pretty firmly tamped down. Stays a lot cooler, and burns more slowly that way, too.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:06 pm

KYBURLEY wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:55 am
Rusty wrote:
KYBURLEY wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
Thank you. I'm always interested in the differences when tobacco manufacturing moves or is outsourced. It almost always changes the product. It's more often the case that people find the 'new' version inferior in some way. So when somebody says it's better it's worth asking about.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light