Briar Fox

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
SFC
Usher
Usher

Briar Fox

Post by SFC » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:20 pm

This has to be one of best kept secrets from Cornell and Diehl, upon removing the lid and unwrapping the clear plastic wrap I saw what looked like a couple of medium sized rectangled bars.

The packing of my Erik Neilsen was fairly easy as was the lighting of the tobacco itself. The tobacco itself was a two match light with the first just to lightly braise the tobacco. To my surprize (IMHO) there was very little tongue bite, but one needs to smoke this tobacco very slowly to enjoy the taste of the Virginias that are blended together.

I did notice the first 6 to 8 puffs the tobacco was not what I really expected, but continueing on became very rewarding as the sweetness of the Virginias were coming through. By the time I reached the bottom of the bowl I wanted at least another minute of this extraodinar blend.

If you enjoy the taste of a fine Virginia this tobacco is meant for you, and if you want to try a Virginia for the first time this is the one I would highly recommend. Cornell and Diehl have proved once more that you can enjoy a Virginia Blend without the harsh tongue bite.

Strength: Is Mild
Flavoring: None detected
Taste: Medium
Room Note: Pleasant
Recommendation: 5 of 5

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: Briar Fox

Post by wosbald » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:02 pm

+JMJ+
I hadn't smoked this in a few years, but I had a tin from '02 stashed and decided to pop it for this review.

The tin aroma is woody, grassy, and earthy with a slight tang of VA ferment. The thickly cut crumble cakes quickly break into a manageable form which lights easily.

The flavor is sweet, but not penetratingly so, with a low-key, husky, and slightly grassy character devoid of brightness, nuance, or variation. It has a good nicotine punch.

Rustic and tasty, Briar Fox is a moderately rich VA which would satisfy those looking for a no fuss VA which is flavorsome and smooth. Though this was always a mellow blend, aging has broadened this characteristic slightly. This seemed best to me in narrow to medium gauge chambers.

Strength: Strong
Flavoring: None detected
Taste: Medium
Room Note: Tolerable
Recommendation: 3 of 4

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:05 pm

love the cake presentation. Like the tobacco, but not my favorite. Seems to smoke fast and hot. I do detect a cigarette-like taste, but quality cigarettes like Nat Sherman, not Dorals. Tin doesn't mention Burley, so there is probably none here, but it reminds me of a VABUR. If I can manage to smoke it slowly, and if it ages well opened, maybe I can learn to like it more. I would think before I gave a C&D two stars, but personally this one is a two. I give it three in a public review because it is a quality blend which simply doesn't fit my personal tastes, like the Hebraica series.
Update: It's growing on me. I tried something interesting. I pulled off a square piece of the cake and did not rub it out. Instead, I stuffed it whole into my largest bowled pipe, a cool handmade cherry. Then I sprinkled the top with finely rubbed tobacco so I could get it lit. It smoked for almost an hour and was quite tasty! I will experiment some more.

1-11-10 OK time to upgrade this one. In less than five months opened, all of the harshness I originally noted has disappeared, and it is one of the tastier Virginias I have smoked. I don't know if everyone will have the same experience, but for me letting it stand a while really did the trick. It has everything I want in a Virginia; no bite, complexity, notes of dried fruit, improves towards the end. Drier is better with this tobacco, but I could see buying 8oz fresh and letting it dry slowly in a mason jar. I would give it two stars indeed! Doesn't fit my personal tastes, how could I? Sometimes first impressions aren't correct.

1-22-10 Finishing the tin, not all of the bowls were four-star. I didn't get another bowl like the one which caused me to upgrade. Forget which pipe I smoked it in; maybe that is it. No need to take the star back-if it smoked like that once, it could again. I guess this tobacco is what they call "temperamental."

From my TR review, obviously I didn't get the perfect bowl from it every time. I guess I need to buy some more sometime to really learn how to smoke it!
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

adauria
Don't Need No Fancy Title
Don't Need No Fancy Title

Post by adauria » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:14 am

I discovered this blend recently when Chris Tartler of C&D came to our TAPS pipe club and gave away samples. I scored a full tin of this stuff and fell in love. I ended up buying an 8 oz tin to store as part of my stockpiling endeavor. I look forward to enjoying this blend for years to come.

Good review, thanks for sharing! Your experiences and impressions are similar to mine with this blend.

-Andrew

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:12 pm

I'm bored, waiting for a beer to get cold, and just lit up a lightly packed bowl of this in my Master bulldog. I've been "touring" all the C&Ds I have opened right now, so why not open up an old review thread when I get to this one, to see if anyone else has any new thoughts?

I think the first time I had this, it was aged a few years, and what I'm smoking now is only a few months old, and a bit green, but I am liking it. Good, simple Virginia, great crumble cake presentation. I have a pound tin that I plan to leave sealed for as long as I possibly can. I get different impressions of this blend at different times, as I do with many C&Ds. I never get a bad impression, at least. Impression of this bowl so far is very good, at least 5 minutes in...

Very nice bowl, but this is still a young Virginia at this point. Need to find another tin of the aged stuff again to compare it to.
Audita Musarum sacerdos

Briarfox
Brother of the Bum Blocks
Brother of the Bum Blocks

Post by Briarfox » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:34 pm

You rang?

one of my first tobaccos... led to the name!
IC XC NIKA

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:39 pm

Briarfox wrote:You rang?

one of my first tobaccos... led to the name!
It was fate, my friend! I opened this thread back up yesterday out of boredom, as I now remember, when I smoked a bowl of this as part of this new idea I had to help myself get through opened tins (in jars, of course) by concentrating on one manufacturer at a time, and documenting my experiences in the "Smoked, Smoking, Will Smoke" thread. I don't know if anyone's reading it, and they are just quick comments anyway, but gives me something to do!
Audita Musarum sacerdos

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:12 pm

Had my first taste of this tonight in a clay.

Very promising.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:19 am

What is up with the name?
The Joel Chandler Harris character was Br'er Fox which was a regional dialect version of Brother Fox. C&D may be referring to something entirely different.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll

Post by Winton » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:39 am

This thread inspired me to search my stash and confirm I have this blend. It has been in a jar since 2014. I need to re-visit this blend.

Winton

Post by Winton » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:26 pm

Just back from the garage / smoking lounge. In previous smokes of this blend, I had broken up enough to have lots at the bottom of the jar. Thus I didn't have to worry about preparation. I loaded a clay pipe with the loose tobacco in the jar. I actually was able to nurse this small bowl for around 45 minutes.

I am not skilled enough to detect plums, grass, asparagus, or other flavors. But it was an easy bowl to keep lit. Maybe someday I will be able detect these flavors. But it gave me something to do while I contemplated all the Honey Do tasks that I have done in the last week or so of unemployment. This morning I prepared to teach on Jesus feeding the 5,000. If he can do that and keep track of his disciples on the Sea of Galilee, I see no reason why he won't take care of us until I find another job.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:34 pm

Winton wrote:... I am not skilled enough to detect asparagus.
I know a guy that can detect persimmons in every VA blend.

I don't know what a persimmon is, let alone what it smells like.