G&H Louisiana Flake

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

G&H Louisiana Flake

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:34 pm

This is a great evening smoke in my opinion, doesn't quite possess the late night zest and yet it's spicy enough that it wouldn't do for an all day smoke. I smoked it the other day while watching a movie on my front porch at night and then again today at dusk after a cigar sitting outside the tobacco shop socializing with the other crazies that hang around there. It was a good follow up to a cigar, upon opening the tin and removing a flake one encounters a pleasant virginia old barn smell. Next I employed the time honored fold and stuff technique, roughed up the top a little and lit up! The initial impression was very similar to Samuel Gawith's Full VA Flake with a bit of spice on the exhale. As the bowl progresses it maintains that nice Va texture and taste while the spice builds. My first two experiences with it were in a medium sized bulldog and I may perhaps not have been patient enough with it as it began to bit towards the end and smoke very harsh. For my next attempt I will try it in a smaller bowl and take more time and attention to it and report back. Over all it was a good smoke although I would probably be disinclined to finish the bowl as it gets a bit harsh towards the end, however this may be remedied with a different pipe, we shall see...
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:02 pm

I liked it-smoked a 1 oz. sample and would buy it again. Tasted like cocoa to me at first, but then not so much. See what you mean about a barn smell, or perhaps a horse's stable. I actually liked it better towards the end of the bowl than at the beginning.
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:12 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:I liked it-smoked a 1 oz. sample and would buy it again. Tasted like cocoa to me at first, but then not so much. See what you mean about a barn smell, or perhaps a horse's stable. I actually liked it better towards the end of the bowl than at the beginning.
Yea I could see the cocoa, especially in the initial tin note. I think a different pipe and the patience due to many VA's may remedy my experience with the end of the bowl as I haven't given it much attention in smoking it thus far.
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:15 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:I liked it-smoked a 1 oz. sample and would buy it again. Tasted like cocoa to me at first, but then not so much. See what you mean about a barn smell, or perhaps a horse's stable. I actually liked it better towards the end of the bowl than at the beginning.
Yea I could see the cocoa, especially in the initial tin note. I think a different pipe and the patience due to many VA's may remedy my experience with the end of the bowl as I haven't given it much attention in smoking it thus far.
I ended up liking it best in a large pipe, smoked slowly. I even DGT'ed it once, and got a good result. Granted, it was only out long enough for me to run into Wal-Mart for some tobacco jars and beer.
Audita Musarum sacerdos

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:44 pm

Yes this one is pretty lively. It's one of the few GH that will nip you. Nevertheless it's a delicious and somewhat different Va/Per. The slight chocolate flavour actually lasts through 4 years of aging. At the grand old age of 4 it's much more interesting with more complexity & sweeter too. I really like it. But its teeth are even sharper and it still loves to nip. It's just lively affectionate stuff that wants you to go even slower. And once you do it purrs.

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:02 pm

Rusty wrote:Yes this one is pretty lively. It's one of the few GH that will nip you. Nevertheless it's a delicious and somewhat different Va/Per. The slight chocolate flavour actually lasts through 4 years of aging. At the grand old age of 4 it's much more interesting with more complexity & sweeter too. I really like it. But its teeth are even sharper and it still loves to nip. It's just lively affectionate stuff that wants you to go even slower. And once you do it purrs.
Funny, but it never nipped me. Took me a while to learn how to smoke it, but tongue-bite was never a problem. I know bite is highly subjective. Worst biter for me? MacBaren Symphony!
Audita Musarum sacerdos

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:07 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:
Rusty wrote:Yes this one is pretty lively. It's one of the few GH that will nip you. Nevertheless it's a delicious and somewhat different Va/Per. The slight chocolate flavour actually lasts through 4 years of aging. At the grand old age of 4 it's much more interesting with more complexity & sweeter too. I really like it. But its teeth are even sharper and it still loves to nip. It's just lively affectionate stuff that wants you to go even slower. And once you do it purrs.
Funny, but it never nipped me. Took me a while to learn how to smoke it, but tongue-bite was never a problem. I know bite is highly subjective. Worst biter for me? MacBaren Symphony!
Law I: All smokers respond exactly the same to each tobacco. Variation is a myth.

Yeah, and if you believe Law I....

It's much more smoking technique, and not nearly as much about tobacco as people think. It's common to believe that it's the tobaccos fault when it bites. That people have different experiences, with respect to bite, should tell us that this isn't the whole truth. It can't be just the tobacco. The quality problem is often the nut on the end of the pipe or at least he shares the blame.

The manufacturers are tending make easier smoking tobaccos. And some of the most illustrious Va's were in fact horrible acrid biters. Three Nuns was one. The alternative today is to put training wheels on them - toast them, steam them etc. It does lessen the bite. But that's not the same as quality.

Have you ever considered that maybe you're doing it right?
Last edited by Rusty on Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:13 pm

Rusty wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
It's much more smoking technique, and not nearly as much about tobacco as people think. It's common to believe that it's the tobaccos fault when it bites. That people have different experiences, with respect to bite, should tell us that this isn't the whole truth. The quality problem is often the nut on the end of the pipe or at least he shares the blame.

The manufacturers are tending make easier smoking tobaccos. And some of the most illustrious Va's were in fact horrible acrid biters. Three Nuns was one. The alternative today is to put training wheels on them - toast them, steam them etc. It does lessen the bite. But that's not the same as quality.
With most tobaccos, I agree that it it is mostly smoking technique that creates (or eliminates) bite. I have not been able yet to make this work with MacBaren, except for Stockton and occasionally Roll Cake. I will keep trying!
Audita Musarum sacerdos

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:16 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:
Rusty wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
It's much more smoking technique, and not nearly as much about tobacco as people think. It's common to believe that it's the tobaccos fault when it bites. That people have different experiences, with respect to bite, should tell us that this isn't the whole truth. The quality problem is often the nut on the end of the pipe or at least he shares the blame.

With most tobaccos, I agree that it it is mostly smoking technique that creates (or eliminates) bite. I have not been able yet to make this work with MacBaren, except for Stockton and occasionally Roll Cake. I will keep trying!
OK give the medal back.... Stockton doesn't bite.

LikeWavesLikeAir
Congregation
Congregation

Post by LikeWavesLikeAir » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:19 pm

Rusty wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
Law I: All smokers respond exactly the same to each tobacco. Variation is a myth.

Yeah, and if you believe Law I....

It's much more smoking technique, and not nearly as much about tobacco as people think. It's common to believe that it's the tobaccos fault when it bites. That people have different experiences, with respect to bite, should tell us that this isn't the whole truth. It can't be just the tobacco. The quality problem is often the nut on the end of the pipe or at least he shares the blame.

Have you ever considered that maybe you're doing it right?
Body chemistry is also an important factor. Some tobaccos that bite hard on some people, are extremely smooth for others.

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:22 pm

Rusty wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
Rusty wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:

That is what I was trying to say-Stockton definitely doesn't bite! Smooth Kentucky-cured S___! Roll Cake bites me unless I am very careful, and Symphony was so bad I never learned how to smoke it. I haven't tried very many MacBarens.
Audita Musarum sacerdos

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:01 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:
Rusty wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
Rusty wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:

That is what I was trying to say-Stockton definitely doesn't bite! Smooth Kentucky-cured S___! Roll Cake bites me unless I am very careful, and Symphony was so bad I never learned how to smoke it. I haven't tried very many MacBarens.
I haven't tried many MacBarens either, however I have really grown to love Dark Twist, haven't really seen too much bite from it, probably because it just naturally comes off as a sipping tobacco for me.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:51 pm

This blend has really surprised me, I like it a lot more than I thought I would. I wasn't going to buy it, but I accidentally dropped the tin and the top popped off at my B&M, so the owner knocked off a few bucks and I went ahead and got it. Haven't picked out the chocolate notes yet though.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: G&H Louisiana Flake

Post by hugodrax » Sat May 13, 2017 7:56 am

For some reason, Walt takes good care of me. I received an incredibly generous sample of this yesterday and am smoking through a bowl now in a FredS lumberman.

It's lively, that's for sure. Interesting that it started out tasting like chocolate and quickly morphed into a yeasty Virginia with just a hint of pwrique spice and fruit (perfect for me--I'm a perique lightweight). Still a little chocolate like mid bowl with a little orange zest and just a hint of must.

I think I'm going to like this one. Like all G and H flakes, it's allergic to fire, but worth the effort.

Thanks, sir!
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:55 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 7:56 am
For some reason, Walt takes good care of me. I received an incredibly generous sample of this yesterday and am smoking through a bowl now in a FredS lumberman.

It's lively, that's for sure. Interesting that it started out tasting like chocolate and quickly morphed into a yeasty Virginia with just a hint of pwrique spice and fruit (perfect for me--I'm a perique lightweight). Still a little chocolate like mid bowl with a little orange zest and just a hint of must.

I think I'm going to like this one. Like all G and H flakes, it's allergic to fire, but worth the effort.

Thanks, sir!
Really happy to read that you like it! When I read in a review that someone picked up some bread like notes in it, I knew you had to have some. Because I remember you saying you liked that.

Those two huge flakes were part of a 9 ounce bulk batch I had just gotten and the timing was perfect to send you some, before I crammed the rest into Kerr jars. I had read above, Rusty's post that this flake gets even better with a few years on it.

I do believe I shall partake of a large bowl of this for my evening smoke today. First since the 2 ounce sample I originally got was consumed
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat May 13, 2017 1:13 pm

I had read this flake performs well if it gets some air time after rubbing out. I am going to approach a big bowl full this evening with that in mind.

But the forecast is for some wind from the SW, so that may have to be in the North facing Arizona Room
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat May 13, 2017 1:24 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 1:13 pm
I had read this flake performs well if it gets some air time after rubbing out. I am going to approach a big bowl full this evening with that in mind.

But the forecast is for some wind from the SW, so that may have to be in the North facing Arizona Room
Well, I think wind might help it burn. :D

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat May 13, 2017 1:26 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 1:24 pm
Goose55 wrote:

It would. But wind, for me, ruins the ambiance w/ smoke being blown away.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat May 13, 2017 1:39 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 1:26 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Makes sense. I'm used to it, I suppose. Finishing up that bowl from this morning, by the way, and can't thank you enough. This stuff is a lot like Best Brown--just pure, unobtrusive quality.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sun May 14, 2017 1:51 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 1:39 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 1:26 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Makes sense. I'm used to it, I suppose. Finishing up that bowl from this morning, by the way, and can't thank you enough. This stuff is a lot like Best Brown--just pure, unobtrusive quality.
I had my 1st big bowl of the new stash of it last evening. It is an awesome tobacco. Johnny (thread author) is right. It is an excellent evening smoke.

Do you pick up on any of the Perique?