Dunhill My Mixture 965

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Re: Dunhill My Mixture 965

Post by mont974x4 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:25 am

From tobaccoreviews.com “For the connoisseurs of full-bodied tobacco. Choicest small Latakia impart a rich nutty flavor and coolness. Macedonia Bright is added for sweetness. The Brown Cavendish completes the blend that all confirmed pipe smokers love.” This is ribbons of light brown to black. The tin aroma reminded me of a fresh can of Copenhagen. This was another smooth smoky, light Lat blend. I couldn’t find a tin date, but the lid was sealed well and the moisture content was perfect. It packs well, lights well, and burns clean. I didn’t find it anywhere near as strong in flavor or nic hit as Nightcap or John Bull. I could smoke this all day.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:38 am

I wonder how the current incarnation of 395 stacks up against the previous issue?
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:06 pm

Hovannes wrote:I wonder how the current incarnation of 395 stacks up against the previous issue?
395?

Hovannes: Twist right until this reads three nine five.
Bart Mancuso: [to Rusty] No, that's wrong! Don't turn that goddamn lid!
Hovannes: [to Rusty who looks bewildered] Three Nine Five.
Bart Mancuso: You're turning into the tobaccos path.
Hovannes: Yes.

Rusty: [after a tobacco tin opened harmlessly] What just happened?
Bart Mancuso: Tobacco tactics, Rusty. Hovannes closed the gap before the tobacco could arm itself.

Rusty: So that's it?

Hovannes: Not quite. Right now, Morley is disarming all safety measures so that the next tin will arm immediately. He won't make the same mistake twice.

Which previous issue?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:34 pm

Darn that lisdexia... ummm ...dislexia :evil: 965 it is then.
I must have had Whole Foods proprietary brands on my mind.
Now Dunhills is made by MacBarens, no? I had a tin about three years previous that was memorable---similar to Squadron Leader. I don't remember what 965 was like in the 70's when I first tried it, but there were a lot of blends I couldn't appreciate back then---Balkan Sobranie, Edge-worth, Blue Boar---probably because my tongue was still smoldering from all the Sail Green I smoked to impress the Co-eds. :P .
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:55 pm

Resurrecting some tobacco threads...

Anyone still struggle with the nic level in 965? 8O I must admit to not really noticing it as being high in nicotine.

This remains one of my favorite english mixtures, I put it in the same general group (though not clones of) Red Rapparee and Presbyterian Mixture. 965 is more "english-y" than the others, but they all have a similar bite. It's a mixture that I could (and have at times) smoked exclusively every day. I enjoy the current version, but if you get a chance to try the Murray's era product, go for it. I was recently given a tin by another CPSer and found it to be a smoother, more rounded version of itself. Good times.
Sola Deo Gloria

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:56 pm

There's nic in 965?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:59 pm

From now on. I shall think of you as the "macho man" that blows forty bucks a pop on underwear.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:01 pm

anixi wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:25 pm
Strong, not bitey, but high in nicotine. Gave me a real jolt on the palate, something I could get used to. Don't drive after you consume this stuff!

I like the smoke, thick and dark, burns very well once you get it started. Almost white ash, light gray.

This is my favorite English, although I haven't had that many.
Ask anixi...
Sola Deo Gloria

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:08 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:55 pm
Resurrecting some tobacco threads...

Anyone still struggle with the nic level in 965? 8O I must admit to not really noticing it as being high in nicotine.

This remains one of my favorite english mixtures, I put it in the same general group (though not clones of) Red Rapparee and Presbyterian Mixture. 965 is more "english-y" than the others, but they all have a similar bite. It's a mixture that I could (and have at times) smoked exclusively every day. I enjoy the current version, but if you get a chance to try the Murray's era product, go for it. I was recently given a tin by another CPSer and found it to be a smoother, more rounded version of itself. Good times.
"Smooth, more rounded version" Yeah, that's a sign of age. Less articulate is my way of saying the same thing. And it describes mixtures that are over a decade old usually. It has probably lost flavour too, truth be told. I should open one of mine. This is why taste in tobaccos really makes a difference in the way we perceive age and its effects on tin contents. It's not that you're wrong. But smoothness and less bite trumps flavour with hobbyists. It bodes well for your tin stock. And it's bad for mine. 8)

The Murray's version was a long way from the Dunhill & McConnell versions of all these blends. Red Rapparee and Presbyterian were a long way from 965. Have you ever had Aperitif?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

harkpuff
Usher
Usher

Post by harkpuff » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:17 pm

PipeAndPint wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:57 am
jaysonwhelpley wrote:
Jasonian wrote:If you think this is high in nicotine, don't try Nightcap..
am i the only one that is unaffected by Nightcap's nic? I think I can taste it, but it doesn't get to my head.
i bet JonathanHarker can't taste it, either.. then again, he reputedly smokes 5oz. of the stuff per week..
I realize this is a very old thread, but just had to ask about it since it mentions Jonathan Harker. I am especially interested since my last name is Harker and with a family genealogy that goes back to England. I must have either missed it, or forgot that I read it; but does Bram Stocker mention Jonathan Harker smoking Nightcap in his book Dracula?

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:33 pm

harkpuff wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:17 pm
PipeAndPint wrote:
jaysonwhelpley wrote:
am i the only one that is unaffected by Nightcap's nic? I think I can taste it, but it doesn't get to my head.
i bet JonathanHarker can't taste it, either.. then again, he reputedly smokes 5oz. of the stuff per week..
I realize this is a very old thread, but just had to ask about it since it mentions Jonathan Harker. I am especially interested since my last name is Harker and with a family genealogy that goes back to England. I must have either missed it, or forgot that I read it; but does Bram Stocker mention Jonathan Harker smoking Nightcap in his book Dracula?
I've not read the manuscript. However, I am currently enjoying a bowl of 965 in a 1/4 bent Chacom blasted rhodie that N8 fixed the draw for me back in the day. A finer go-to English pipe does not exist.

And, if I may tread personal, post more often, yo.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

harkpuff
Usher
Usher

Post by harkpuff » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:34 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:33 pm
harkpuff wrote:
PipeAndPint wrote:
jaysonwhelpley wrote:
I've not read the manuscript. However, I am currently enjoying a bowl of 965 in a 1/4 bent Chacom blasted rhodie that N8 fixed the draw for me back in the day. A finer go-to English pipe does not exist.

Thanks for your reply. I have tried many many of the English blends over the years in search for the Grail of the English's. I'm also one to research something to the hilt before trying anything because I have wasted so much time, effort and money on blends that I ended up hating. I'm in the process of scouring the reviews and reading all I can find on the Dunhill English blends, which I have not experienced yet, and so far from what I read it sounds like My Mixture 965 is next on my horizon if I can find it. Nightcap sounds like it would be a little on the strong side and Early Morning pipe on the light side with 965 being comfortably in the middle from what I deduce from comments of others.
Most of the reviews on 965 seem to confirm what you have experienced with 965. I'm looking forward to discovering that English blend that offers a complex experience of discovery that one can enjoy for a lifetime without jumping around from one blend to another.
Concerning your rhodie, did N8 fix your draw by opening it up a bit?

harkpuff
Usher
Usher

Post by harkpuff » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:34 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:33 pm
harkpuff wrote:
PipeAndPint wrote:
jaysonwhelpley wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I have tried many many of the English blends over the years in search for the Grail of the English's. I'm also one to research something to the hilt before trying anything because I have wasted so much time, effort and money on blends that I ended up hating. I'm in the process of scouring the reviews and reading all I can find on the Dunhill English blends, which I have not experienced yet, and so far from what I read it sounds like My Mixture 965 is next on my horizon if I can find it. Nightcap sounds like it would be a little on the strong side and Early Morning pipe on the light side with 965 being comfortably in the middle from what I deduce from comments of others.
Most of the reviews on 965 seem to confirm what you have experienced with 965. I'm looking forward to discovering that English blend that offers a complex experience of discovery that one can enjoy for a lifetime without jumping around from one blend to another.
Concerning your rhodie, did N8 fix your draw by opening it up a bit?