Finck's Danish Mild Cavendish

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
tonymccallie
Elder
Elder

Finck's Danish Mild Cavendish

Post by tonymccallie » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:52 am

Hey fella's, just got my bag of Finck's in the mail (even in AK!) I'm at work, so I'll light a bowl later and report back here. Here's some first impressions:

The cut is a thin ribbon, it looks like it will be about what I like. Nice mixture of color. The bag aroma is VERY mild, but sweet, so trying to describe it is really hard. This supposed to be a light aromatic, I guess we'll see.

I'll fill you in later, blessings, Tony
Tony McCallie :pipe:

tonymccallie
Elder
Elder

Post by tonymccallie » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:38 am

I thought I had posted my review of this the other night, but since it's not here, I'll start over.

I've had the chance to try this tobacco twice now and let me tell you. Don't ever go by just one smoke of a tobacco!

Here are a couple of guidelines for tobacco reviewing for those who haven't tried it.
  • Don't try a new tobacco during the work-day while driving between locations (YMMV, but for me this was not a good experience)
  • If you have a tamping problem, start over (trying to fix it mid smoke was one of the worst mistakes I've made.)
  • Find a time and place to really devote your attention to it (that's half the fun of this thing anyway)
Trial #1 of this stuff was a miserable failure. There is no curse in Entish, Elvish, or the tongues of men to describe the experience. I'ts not very often that I have a bad smoke with any tobacco, so to have it on the first try of something new didn't sit well with me. My biggest problem with the first try of Mild Danish Cavendish was a tamping problem. I packed, tamped, did a charring light and on trying to tamp after the charring light, succeeded in closing all air flow. For future reference, remind me to dump out the whole thing and try again. I tried to loosen the packing and retamp :youcrazy:

I'm not sure if the tamping issue was what ruined everything for me or not. From there on out, the tobacco tasted like cheap tequila from Cancun (not a good thing) and :bite: bit like crazy. I thought, "Well, you get what you pay for" I decided to clear out and try again another day.

Trial #2 was last night. I took the time to sit down and do things properly. I was very careful with my tamping this time. This tobacco packs a little strange for me. I think it may just be a little wet. You might try airing it out a bit. It lit fine and I got a much better idea of the flavor this time. Unfortunately, there was still a little bite, but would have to say that flavors were kind of a toasted marshmallow. Not bad at all. I will say that this tobacco is not my cup of tea, but it's not bad. It did require a lot of tamping, furthering my suspicion that it was a little wet. I noticed a very slight gurgle towards the end, but not bad at all.

I think this tobacco would do well with some aging. The flavors seemed a little rough, so I figure some melding and mellowing would be good. What little I caught of the flavor, I think its nice. I posted a message in the trading forum that anyone who wanted to trade for some was welcome to email me.

If you've tried this stuff, let me know your thoughts.

Blessings all, Tony
Tony McCallie :pipe:

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Re: Finck's Danish Mild Cavendish

Post by A_Morley » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:14 am

This was the first tobacco review in the history of CPS.

Thoughts?
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS