Shortcut To Mushrooms

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:55 am

Irish-Dane wrote:Second thoughts...

I am primarily using the Wos non-tamp lately, but this cut of the baccy seems to be holding its shape when burnt which makes it hard to use the Wos.

As for flavor, it's got an interesting taste on the tongue throughout the first third of the bowl. It started with a hint of vanilla but is morphing into what can best be described as musky heaven.
yeah, I like this, I think that's accurate.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:10 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:Second thoughts...

I am primarily using the Wos non-tamp lately, but this cut of the baccy seems to be holding its shape when burnt which makes it hard to use the Wos.

As for flavor, it's got an interesting taste on the tongue throughout the first third of the bowl. It started with a hint of vanilla but is morphing into what can best be described as musky heaven.
yeah, I like this, I think that's accurate.
I want to give it a break for a day, and then tomorrow try it again to see how my thoughts compare.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:52 am

I have just about killed the ounce I ordered. & have 4 more on the way. I think I need to smoke some more before I write a review. I do like this quite a lot.
DL Jake

huddsbaggie
rootle round the ear 'ole
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by huddsbaggie » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:54 am

DepartedLight wrote:I have just about killed the ounce I ordered. & have 4 more on the way. I think I need to smoke some more before I write a review. I do like this quite a lot.
Do you think there will be a different revelation, DL?

Get writing now.

(Actually, "DL" is swearing, I just realized.) DL!!
"All I know most surely about morality and obligations, I owe to football"
Albert Camus (1913-1960)

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:58 am

huddsbaggie wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:I have just about killed the ounce I ordered. & have 4 more on the way. I think I need to smoke some more before I write a review. I do like this quite a lot.
Do you think there will be a different revelation, DL?

Get writing now.

(Actually, "DL" is swearing, I just realized.) DL!!
Me? Swear? Nevah!

But I don't see it in this post?
DL Jake

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:50 am

So I am rushing this just a tad due to huggs prodding, though I still don't know how "DL" is swearing. Anyway …

Just for Him product description wrote:This is the fourth blend in the Middle Earth Pipeweed Series! Rich, dark Latakia is blended with mushrooms straight from Farmer Maggot's field to produce a truly unique smooth, creamy, earthy smoke with a hint of sweetness.
Blend presents in bulk coarse chopped ribbon cut of mostly darker leaf with a few lighter leaves intermixed. The lighter flake is maybe 5% or less of the bulk. Scent holds no discernable latakia aroma, but has a very interesting lilting mild earthy quality with just a faint hint of some sort of alcohol. "Earthy" in this write-up should not be confused with the McClelland's earthy tones of their flake VAs products. Using "Mushroom" in the blend name is perfect because the earthy scent and taste of the blend does remind me of large white mild mushrooms. The blend is slightly moist upon arrival, but takes to the match easily right from the bag and without drying. Quality leaf burns to the bottom of the bowl dry and with minimal dottle.

This is an aromatic blend. Given the product description, I was expecting a light to medium English or, at a minimum, a Latakia VA blend. Because of the description, the first few puffs of my first bowl left me confused. But that confusion was good because it made me really taste what was going on. I used to be an anti-aromatic snob, but in the last two years I have had some outstanding blends that fall into the aromatic column. This blend also finds itself in that "outstanding aromatic" category.

There is no nicotine in this blend. I have smoked 3 bowls back to back with nothing registering on the Nicometer.

This blend is very cool smoking. In a recent review of Hearth & Home's Larry's Blend, I remarked that there was an almost menthol sensation in the smoke that is noticed on the inhale after a nice puff of smoke. Shortcut to Mushrooms has that same quality. When tasted through the nose there is a very unique subtle mixture of cordial or liqueur with a musty and smokiness that all come together to produce the illusion of Mushrooms. If Uncle Bob had not used the word Mushroom in the title, I think that is what the overall picture of the blend would come to mind. This blend also has some of the qualities of Two Friends English Chocolate, but much, much more subdued. Where English Chocolate is right up in your face with powerhouse flavor and a good sense of Latakia, Shortcut to Mushrooms is far more subdued and subtle, and it is these qualities that makes this blend smooth and sophisticated. Yes, I am as shocked as you are; I just said an aromatic blend has sophisticated taste. I can no longer count myself among the anti-aromatic snobbery elitists.

I enjoyed this blend in several bowl sizes and shapes. I found it did best in larger bowled pipes. My best experience continues to be in a Teipen Billiard and a group 5 Dunhill Cumberland Billiard. (You remember, that one I got for free? Yeah, that just never gets old.)

DL Jake rates as 5 out of 5 stars.
Last edited by DepartedLight on Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
DL Jake

Spyderweb
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Spyderweb » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:14 am

Thanks for the reviews guys. This and one or two more of UncleBob's blends are going to be my next tobacco purchase.

Jflo
Minister of Saying Aaahhh
Minister of Saying Aaahhh

Post by Jflo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:31 pm

I have enjoyed this through the years... recently purchased a bit more along with Ruins of Isengard. Both are exceptional Aros...

Thanks for the reviews!
"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it's not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -Augustine

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:35 pm

Spyderweb wrote:
AFRS wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:Good stuff, I'd like to get some more... I have a lot of tobacco for me right now though...
This is easy to fix; what you do is share it with friends. Thats assuming you have friends. And assuming that if you do, some of them smoke a pipe.
I volunteer to be your friend. Hey, I smoke a pipe! Problem solved - you buy it and I'll help you smoke it. :D
I'm good in that department, thanks for your concern though :P I have about 3 or 4 friends here in Fredericksburg that I meet up with to smoke pipes. I did end up getting some Shortcut from my secret santa, so problem ended up being solved! I need to go get another case of jars for more storage though.
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:40 pm

There is a reason I have 14 ounces of it.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Re: Shortcut To Mushrooms

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:17 pm

package arrived today.

opening soon
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:49 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:package arrived today.

opening soon

Oh, boy, you are going to enjoy it!
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:16 pm

Joshoowah wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:package arrived today.

opening soon

Oh, boy, you are going to enjoy it!
I love opening boxes!!!

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:58 am

I smoked a bowl of Shortcut in a large Upshall billiard while watching basketball.
It was a positive experience. It lit fairly easily and stayed lit. It did not bite.
The taste is going to take a few more bowls before a description can be written.
It was pleasant, but I kept having to remind myself to concentrate in order to discern a flavor (apparently, this indicates a certain flavor is not dominant).
My one additional takeaway would be that Shortcut would be a good tobacco for a beginner.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:22 am

Will have to add this to my ever growing lists of tobacco to buy
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Even though I can't smoke at this time, for some reason I like this place.

Spyderweb
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Spyderweb » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:35 am

JudgeRusty wrote:I smoked a bowl of Shortcut in a large Upshall billiard while watching basketball.
It was a positive experience. It lit fairly easily and stayed lit. It did not bite.
The taste is going to take a few more bowls before a description can be written.
It was pleasant, but I kept having to remind myself to concentrate in order to discern a flavor (apparently, this indicates a certain flavor is not dominant).
My one additional takeaway would be that Shortcut would be a good tobacco for a beginner.
You didn't taste the mushrooms? :wink:

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:16 am

I was gifted with a sample of this from DL. Very interesting tobacco. I found that it did taste different in different pipe. Like said earlier it was more flavorable in a big bowl. A nice burning tobacco. Large volume of smoke produced. The first bowl I smoked in a smaller pipe the taste of sweetened cavedish over powered much of the other flavors. I tried it yesterday in a bigger bowl and it seemed more balanced. Musty, sweet, subtle. It is probably too subtle for me as I have a weak sense of taste. I'll have to keep this on the list of future buys. Thanks again DL!
Last edited by GaryInVA on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Even though I can't smoke at this time, for some reason I like this place.

Zeitguy
Minister of crushing repartee
Minister of crushing repartee

Post by Zeitguy » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:33 am

'Just For Him' Shoppe, Springfield, MO.

The only place for gettin' these blends.

Middle Earth Pipeweed Series

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:09 am

Last year I spent a little change from my tax refund on tobacco. Nothing major, just a couple hundred bucks. This year I plan to do the same, and this series is already on the list.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:28 am

Irish-Dane wrote:Last year I spent a little change from my tax refund on tobacco. Nothing major, just a couple hundred bucks. This year I plan to do the same, and this series is already on the list.
BOOSH!