Two Friends- English Chocolate

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
hobbit_monk
Congregation
Congregation

Two Friends- English Chocolate

Post by hobbit_monk » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:59 pm

I recently opened a tin of Two Friends- English Chocolate. I noticed that it was ribbon cut. The aroma was fresh and woody, with a mild hint of smooth sweetness. The smoke was incredible! It was robust and powerfully tasteful. I definitely tasted the Virginia blends and a hint of chocolate-ness there, but not pronounced. The "nic hit" was definitely there after two fairly large bowls. Overall I would give this blend an 8 on a scale of 1-10.
“The greatest adventure is what lies ahead. Today and tomorrow are yet to be said.<br>The chances, the changes are all yours to make. The mold of your life is in your hands to break.” J.R.R. Tolkien<br>

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:00 pm

aye, 'tis fine weed indeed
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

Scottso
Congregation
Congregation

Two Friends English Chocolate

Post by Scottso » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:12 pm

I recently discovered that Mars Cigars and Pipes carries Two Friends English Chocolate in 8oz tins as well as 1lb bulk. Has anyone ever purchased from them? I believe they are out of Pennsylvania.
“The sweet fragrance of a pipe, like good philosophy, is a blessing to all who are near.”- Michael P. Foley

DepartedLight

Re: Two Friends English Chocolate

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:14 pm

Scottso wrote:I recently discovered that Mars Cigars and Pipes carries Two Friends English Chocolate in 8oz tins as well as 1lb bulk. Has anyone ever purchased from them? I believe they are out of Pennsylvania.
marscigars is my go to e-tailer. Mike's a great guy. Yes they are in PA
DL Jake

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Re: Two Friends English Chocolate

Post by Joshoowah » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:12 am

This blend is absolutely wonderful. I had a tin gifted to me last year during Secret Santa (thank you so very much) and it was marvelous. It was a subtle aromatic but I imagine it ages quite well (being Virginia and all). Anyway, I still have a little left and ordered an extra tin a while back to age a bit. I'm surprised it doesn't get more mention here.

DepartedLight wrote:
Scottso wrote:I recently discovered that Mars Cigars and Pipes carries Two Friends English Chocolate in 8oz tins as well as 1lb bulk. Has anyone ever purchased from them? I believe they are out of Pennsylvania.
marscigars is my go to e-tailer. Mike's a great guy. Yes they are in PA
I had no idea they sold the 8 oz tins...Actually, though, I think they do the bags, no? I wish I would have known when I was ordering as I would have placed an order there. $26 for 8 ounces is a steal nowadays.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Scottso
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Scottso » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:23 am

I had two tins on hand so did not order from Mars yet but their website says they have 4, 8 and 16oz tins for sale. Bag or tin, I will try them next time I order.
“The sweet fragrance of a pipe, like good philosophy, is a blessing to all who are near.”- Michael P. Foley

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:57 am

Yeah I talk up mars all the time. I think he has the best prices, great service. He's a small shop, and he doesn't get the latest and greatest in as quick as the big houses. But you email him and request stuff, he'll get it for you if he can.

Down side right now is that he got skewered by the credit card thing like JFH did. And where JFH fixed it quick, Mike is still in the "checks only" mode.
DL Jake

Scottso
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Scottso » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:11 pm

That was the reason I did not try him on my last order as I had a VISA gift card and Mars could not take credit cards. Checks only is tough at Christmas time. Still would like to try him though.

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:57 pm

This blend seems to intrigue me even though I'm not big on English blends. I think it's the fact that I'm not big on Lakelands but have been interested in the Chocolate flake offered by both G&H and SG. Maybe because this ultimately is made by C&D it would be a better fit for me.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

Spyderweb
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Spyderweb » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:03 pm

I go to my see my brother in the Atlanta area every few months, and this time the tin I took to try was the English Chocolate.

Wonderful stuff. My brother loved it as well.

Reminds me a lot of Black Frigate, which I also love.

I'm not buying a whole lot of tobacco these days (already have several years of stuff waiting to try) but I think I need to buy several large tins of this for my "cellar".

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Re: Two Friends- English Chocolate

Post by Joshoowah » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:16 am

Just popped a tin of English Chocolate from 2010. Absolutely great stuff. Contains one of my favorite types of cuts, broken flake.

Here are some photos of the fresh tin for your enjoyment.

ImageImageImage
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

saltedplug
Usher
Usher

Post by saltedplug » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:43 am

I was a purist for a long time and eschewed topped blends; but now I'm somewhat more adventurous and have been smoking GH Louisiana Flake, which is also topped with chocolate. I like it but wish they had put more into the blend, which tastes to me more like an all-day smoke than a premium tobacco.

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:02 am

4nogginsmike wrote:I was a purist for a long time and eschewed topped blends; but now I'm somewhat more adventurous and have been smoking GH Louisiana Flake, which is also topped with chocolate. I like it but wish they had put more into the blend, which tastes to me more like an all-day smoke than a premium tobacco.
English Chocolate is more of an English than anything else. The chocolate in it is minuscule, but when you pop a tin, boy, does it smell divine.

ImageImage

DepartedLight

Re:

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:43 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:57 am
Yeah I talk up mars all the time. I think he has the best prices, great service. He's a small shop, and he doesn't get the latest and greatest in as quick as the big houses. But you email him and request stuff, he'll get it for you if he can.

Down side right now is that he got skewered by the credit card thing like JFH did. And where JFH fixed it quick, Mike is still in the "checks only" mode.
Two-Fer Plug

1. I have been enjoying this blend quite a bit lately.

2. mars cigars ships to APO's. The Tobacco Fairy has used them in this capacity. If you have some TF hankering to send a treat to an overseas service member well, mars cigar is your friend.
DL Jake

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:09 am

I have 2 tins of is it Samuel Gawith or Gawith Hoggarth Bob's Chocolate Flake in my cellar not to waste so, though this blend sounds good, it'll have to wait until I smoke what I have.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:41 pm

I just got an 8 oz. tin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:10 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:41 pm
I just got an 8 oz. tin

DON'T PICK YER NOSE!
DL Jake

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:44 am

DepartedLight wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:41 pm
I just got an 8 oz. tin

DON'T PICK YER NOSE!
Can I pick my friend’s nose?

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:46 am

I had this stuff back in 2012 and very much enjoyed it then, it tastes different than I remember, but still it’s good.

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:46 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:46 am
I had this stuff back in 2012 and very much enjoyed it then, it tastes different than I remember, but still it’s good.

Yes. This. The cut is different too. No longer neato stalks of moist crumble cake.

I still like it a lot but, it has changed quite a bit.
DL Jake