Nording Hunter Beagle (McClelland)

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Nording Hunter Beagle (McClelland)

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:25 pm

My curiosity had been piqued about the Hunter blends before, but since today was Erik Nording Day, I pulled the trigger on this blend and the aromatic Labrador.

The tin note is darkly sweet and smells of raisins.

This is a broken flake with fairly large dark pieces. (My love for Rattray's Marlin Flake came to mind and my hopes got up). Someone said on TR that this may be 2015 in disguise. It has been several months since I had 2015, so I am not sure.

I have only smoked 2 bowls but so far I agree with reviews that say the spiciness of the Perique is more noticeable in the first part of the bowl, and is not very strong,

It is a VaPer that is mild on the Perique and sweet on the Virginia--which you will note from my reviews is my preference.

(For Rusty: it seems that McClelland may have put a Danish spin on their Virginia treatment in deference to Mr. Nording, or maybe that is just my first impression).
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

rgcurrey
Elder
Elder

Re: Nording Hunter Beagle (McClelland)

Post by rgcurrey » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:57 pm

Reviving an old thread, but, wanted to know what you thought of the Hunter: Labrador Judge?
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

And he said to the man,
"Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding." - Job 28:28

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:08 am

You might find some reviews with the search box-upper right.

It is near the top of my aromatic list. One of the best tin notes--to me it smells like Devils Food Cake in the tin.
A good smoke.

This series is surprisingly good--I need to find some again. It was regularly at the B&M in Birmingham, but not here.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:05 am

I remember years ago smoking Nørding Hunter Pointer tobacco. I remember opening the tin and finding it smelling very much like caramel; sweet. The tobacco was a nice ribbon cut and burned clean and well. The flavouring was there, to be sure, but there was at least a smidgeon of tobacco taste!

I wouldn't turn it down if it were offered to me, and I could be persuaded to purchase another tin if we crossed paths one day.

I'll have to search for some Beagle; sounds good.

rgcurrey
Elder
Elder

Post by rgcurrey » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:44 am

Thanks Judge. I did search here for any posts and really only came across this one of interest. Tomorrow I have a tin of Labrador coming (based only of reviews at SP) with three other tobaccos to try. Until this point my smoking has been either a Tobacco Hut Golden Rod and a local place here that had a mix called After 8. Both have not been stored properly so are very dry and the only one I will keep is the Golden Rod as it was my Dad’s.

And he said to the man,

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:47 am

rgcurrey wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:44 am
Thanks Judge. I did search here for any posts and really only came across this one of interest. Tomorrow I have a tin of Labrador coming (based only of reviews at SP) with three other tobaccos to try. Until this point my smoking has been either a Tobacco Hut Golden Rod and a local place here that had a mix called After 8. Both have not been stored properly so are very dry and the only one I will keep is the Golden Rod as it was my Dad’s.
Get yourself to a dry goods (or wal marks) and get a case of half pint ball or mason canning jars. They will be less than a dollar per jar with lid and ring. Then visit the cps library and read the many posts about how to store (cellar) tobacco. I cut discs of paper to make makeshift jar labels that fit under the rings.

rgcurrey
Elder
Elder

Post by rgcurrey » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:23 pm

Already have some jars ready for when the box arrives tomorrow. Granted, that is if I am still alive after my wife finds out about the new pipe. :prayin:

And he said to the man,

rgcurrey
Elder
Elder

Post by rgcurrey » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:24 pm

I did find another post from you in another forum regarding Labrador that answered my question. Should have searched more than just tobacco reviews.

And he said to the man,