Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Re: St. James Woods

Post by Kerdy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:00 pm

Rusty wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Rusty wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:I left an open jar full of Christmas Cheer out in the rain once. What a sad day.

It no longer smelled of ketchup, of course. It smelled of rain.
You wrecked the thread. We are all stunned by the ramifications. :cry:

Was the rain smell like rain on a warm dry cement sidewalk, or the dusty smell of first rain on dusty dirt road, or new rain on hot asphalt on a humid day?

And what happened to it in the end?
Why would he put it there and a better question, why do you want to know? :chili:
A tin of Christmas Cheer retails for about $85 + here. That's low in Canada. In many places it's over $100. I won't pay that but one doesn't lose the sense of local value so it's like a horror movie for me and hard to look away. Are there places where tobacco is still a low priced commodity or do they only exist in past? Where the value is low and leaving a tin open to the elements shows a certain independence from valuing such a thing. Or maybe he's a millionaire many times over. Does a tin of tobacco lose it's value when nothing dents the wallet? Plus there is a fascination with the transformation as you can see. What did it become?

Also I'm a tobacco evangelist and I wonder about forgetting that it is even there waiting for us ... to close the tin at least. Can you imagine the helpless feeling? Drying out... life sucked from the tin. And then a deluge of water.... drowning. I am torn with grief.

Does that help?
$85 + you say...hmmm...eBay may be in my future. :twisted:
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:11 pm

Kerdy wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Rusty wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:I left an open jar full of Christmas Cheer out in the rain once. What a sad day.

It no longer smelled of ketchup, of course. It smelled of rain.
You wrecked the thread. We are all stunned by the ramifications. :cry:

Was the rain smell like rain on a warm dry cement sidewalk, or the dusty smell of first rain on dusty dirt road, or new rain on hot asphalt on a humid day?

And what happened to it in the end?
Why would he put it there and a better question, why do you want to know? :chili:
A tin of Christmas Cheer retails for about $85 + here. That's low in Canada. In many places it's over $100. I won't pay that but one doesn't lose the sense of local value so it's like a horror movie for me and hard to look away. Are there places where tobacco is still a low priced commodity or do they only exist in past? Where the value is low and leaving a tin open to the elements shows a certain independence from valuing such a thing. Or maybe he's a millionaire many times over. Does a tin of tobacco lose it's value when nothing dents the wallet? Plus there is a fascination with the transformation as you can see. What did it become?

Also I'm a tobacco evangelist and I wonder about forgetting that it is even there waiting for us ... to close the tin at least. Can you imagine the helpless feeling? Drying out... life sucked from the tin. And then a deluge of water.... drowning. I am torn with grief.

Does that help?
$85 + you say...hmmm...eBay may be in my future. :twisted:
That won't do it. Most who sell tobacco won't ship to Canada anyway so Canadian bids are discouraged. And when they are allowed the Canadians bid like Americans. They're bifurcated. Of course you could just put a 'buy it now' price of $85 on it and see how that works. However, let me suggest that the guaranteed way to make this work is to come to Canada and open a legitimate tobacco shop. That will do it. The distributor will sell you stock that you have to price at $85 in order to make any money. And it sits on shelves forever because the Canadians buy from the US. But then you'll experience it.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:03 pm

I cracked open a 3.5 ounce tin a few days ago and have been letting it decanter. Opened to air initially for a couple hours and now only removing the lid every couple days for several minutes. I do find this enhances this VAPer, and also McClelland's Tudor Castle, too.

Hard to say yet which of the the two I like better. They are both outstanding. And I pay tribute & thanks to our Canadian friend, Rusty for bringing these tobaccos to my attention.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:23 pm

After reading through this thread I've realized that I need to order more tobacco and that my tobacco cellar is a comfort and a blessing I could never have afforded in Canada or Australia.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:52 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:23 pm
After reading through this thread I've realized that I need to order more tobacco and that my tobacco cellar is a comfort and a blessing I could never have afforded in Canada or Australia.
Your tobacco cellar "A comfort and a blessing." I like that. Made me feel good, too.

According to the calendar they sent me P&Cs is 10% off in April, but not until October do they have a 20% off month on orders of $100 or more. August is $50 off if $250 is spent, and that translates to 20%, as well.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:02 pm

durangopipe wrote:
If you tried to buy it in Canada or Australia then that's true. But what kind of spendthrift does that? It turns out that the border leaks. Getting it to leak tobacco is an arcane craft but it is possible.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:02 pm
durangopipe wrote:
If you tried to buy it in Canada or Australia then that's true. But what kind of spendthrift does that? It turns out that the border leaks. Getting it to leak tobacco is an arcane craft but it is possible.
I sent a bunch of John Bull to our Rev Thom. Gosh I hope I don't get arrested by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: RE: Re: St. James Woods

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:16 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
I sent a bunch of John Bull to our Rev Thom. Gosh I hope I don't get arrested by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms.
The Lord has blessed me with a leaky border. :)
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:21 pm

Finally finished smoking my way through a 3.5 ounce tin of SJW. These last bowls have been magnificent! Celestial.

Decanting it did improve it a lot. Arresting the fermentation process.

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Tue May 02, 2017 3:53 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:16 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Lucky our southern boarder is getting more attention right now. Now is the time to help our Canadian brother out!
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Tue May 02, 2017 4:05 pm

joegoat wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 3:53 pm
ReverendThom wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Lucky our southern boarder is getting more attention right now. Now is the time to help our Canadian brother out!
Just so there aren't any misunderstandings, tobacco smuggling is taken pretty seriously. For reals.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Tue May 02, 2017 4:20 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 4:05 pm
joegoat wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Just so there aren't any misunderstandings, tobacco smuggling is taken pretty seriously. For reals.
I believe it. With such a massive tax on it the government wouldn't dare let that money side through their clutching grasp.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Tue May 02, 2017 8:26 pm

joegoat wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 4:20 pm
Sir Moose wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 4:05 pm
joegoat wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
I believe it. With such a massive tax on it the government wouldn't dare let that money side through their clutching grasp.
LOL! This is pretty good reading. Here are some facts that might cause you to wonder if they're serious.
1) If you order tobacco and the Gov. Customs folks fail to assess the parcel for taxes and just forward it to your address are you smuggling? In some cases they know there is tobacco in the parcel because the parcel broke open and still they do not assess taxes, rather they hand it back to the post people who tape it closed with an apology for the damage. No taxes paid.

2) If they do assess the parcel and fail to assess ALL the tob. taxes owed, but you pay what they assess, and they release the parcel to you do you still owe any taxes to anyone? Customs in Canada actually only charge all the taxes for half the provinces and if you're a resident of one of the other provinces or Territory they don't assess the provincial/territorial tax (it's higher than the Fed tax). It's discrimination. But what if they release the paper trail to the province concerned, do you owe any taxes?
Further, they fail to tell you that you haven't paid all the taxes and there is a rule that all taxes must be paid for the package to be released to us. And they released the package to us. What do we conclude? BTW shortly after this all happens the province sends you a bill. So you call the province ...

3) If the sender (an American) falsely declares the parcel as something else and they don't assess it are you smuggling? Or do you take your miniature eskimo snow flee traps home in the parcel and call it a day?

There is more craziness too. I only gave you the simple stuff.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light