St. James Woods & McClelland 2015

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
Ranchman
Congregation
Congregation

St. James Woods & McClelland 2015

Post by Ranchman » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:44 pm

I've been fortunate to have been introduced to some fine tobacco since I recently picked up a pipe. Both of these are becoming favorites, so far. It seems to me that the more subtle the Perique, the better. Either of these are a good night time on the front porch tobacco. They both seem seem to be full of flavor.

Can't wait to try the Tudor Castle...

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: St. James Woods & McClelland 2015

Post by Goose55 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:29 pm

Ranchman wrote:I've been fortunate to have been introduced to some fine tobacco since I recently picked up a pipe. Both of these are becoming favorites, so far. It seems to me that the more subtle the Perique, the better. Either of these are a good night time on the front porch tobacco. They both seem seem to be full of flavor.

Can't wait to try the Tudor Castle...
Wow. You sure have taken the express elevator up to some of the best Virginia pipe tobaccos there are. And yet the world of pipe tobaccos is very large and varied. A lot of great tobaccos are out there.

CPS is a great place to learn about them
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:41 pm

Both good smokes.

I have 2 or 3 oz of 2015 that seems to have dried out a little. I think I'll place it in the box pass; perhaps someone can/will re-hydrate it some and enjoy it.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:36 pm

There is a world of bulk Virginias out there. Gawith Hoggarth makes some delicious ones. Peter S., as well. I love his Luxury Twist Flake. That used to be only $45 for a 1.5 pound box at P&Cs, but now its all of a sudden jumped up to $57, but still worth that.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:19 pm

McClelland virginias and va/pers are the bomb!

Buy them in bulk cheap, and seal them in canning jars. Years of happiness await.

5100 Red Virginia is the standard against which all others are measured.

2015 is a staple, as well.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:09 am

Del wrote:McClelland virginias and va/pers are the bomb!

Buy them in bulk cheap, and seal them in canning jars. Years of happiness await.

I agree with Del. McClelland makes some wonderful virginia blends.

5100 is a marvelous tobacco! It has a BBQ like character. It is sweet, just enough zesty, and smoky. My jar of it just fell off my shelf last week. It shattered when it hit my desk. I felt sick as I vacuumed it up! I guess I'll just have to get more now.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:32 am

I sometimes mix a 50:50 blend of their 5100 with 5115 for an added bit of tang. I just wish the tobacco itself didn't smell like ketchup. Must be some kind of proprietary curing process they use.

I am sorry you lost your jar of 5100, Joe. If you lived next door I'd have given you a 1/2 pint jar, as I have many.

Del

Post by Del » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:59 am

Goose55 wrote:

I sometimes mix a 50:50 blend of their 5100 with 5115 for an added bit of tang. I just wish the tobacco itself didn't smell like ketchup. Must be some kind of proprietary curing process they use.

I am sorry you lost your jar of 5100, Joe. If you lived next door I'd have given you a 1/2 pint jar, as I have many.
It is a natural result of aging and fermentation. Unavoidable, if we want the premium flavors.

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Ranchman
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Ranchman » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:59 pm

You have my interest in the 5100 Red Virginia. It's now on my list.

I tried G&H Brown Flake the other night during a friend's "Front Porch Happy Hour." It's a very rich, full flavored blend. I enjoyed it immensely. No tongue bite, lit and burned easily. A little bit of Heaven on earth.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:12 pm

Ranchman wrote:

You have my interest in the 5100 Red Virginia. It's now on my list.

I tried G&H Brown Flake the other night during a friend's "Front Porch Happy Hour." It's a very rich, full flavored blend. I enjoyed it immensely. No tongue bite, lit and burned easily. A little bit of Heaven on earth.
But 5100, as good as it may be, can not come close to St. James Woods. Whatever the blenders at McClelland did to make Woods, is nothing short of a miracle.

I think 5100 Red Cake can be made better by mixing it with McClelland 5115 Old World Classic Cake. Perhaps you have already tried that?

Del

Post by Del » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:47 pm

5100 is great tobacco. I smoked a bowl today... I love the sweet citrus flavor that lingers for a long time after the smoke is finished.

The great thing about 5100 is that everyone is familiar with it.

You can describe other virginia blends as "sweeter" or "brighter" than 5100, and everyone knows what you mean. For example, McCranie's Red Flake is like McClelland 5100, but with more bright, "soaring" notes (that's poetry for the citrus tang that is characteristic of virginias).