Peterson's Irish Dew

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Peterson's Irish Dew

Post by FredS » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:18 pm

Irish Dane was nice enough to send me all the pouched tobacco left at the end of his 2016 box pass. I'm working through the pouch of Irish Dew now. It's an old pouch but it was still sealed so it's a little dry but not so much as to be unusable. I've been mostly rubbing it out for a finer pack than I'd get from the ribbons straight from the pouch. I think the majority of the toppings have gone off, but it's still a nice blend of virgina and burley. I get the sweetness of the virginia and whatever topping remains with the big billowing smoke from the burley. And the aftertaste is pleasant.

Pouched tobaccos intrigue me as a throwback to watching my grandfather and his ilk smoke. I have a feeling he'd find all my tinned tobaccos pretentious.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Re: Peterson's Irish Dew

Post by Jocose » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:55 pm

I-D sent me a vinyl record once. It's still in my collection.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:20 am

Jocose wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:55 pm
How does it smoke?
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:23 am

Jocose wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:55 pm
Jocose sent me a carousel for a slide projector once. I still need a slide projector. And a slide camera.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:11 am

FredS wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:18 pm
Irish Dane was nice enough to send me all the pouched tobacco left at the end of his 2016 box pass. I'm working through the pouch of Irish Dew now. It's an old pouch but it was still sealed so it's a little dry but not so much as to be unusable. I've been mostly rubbing it out for a finer pack than I'd get from the ribbons straight from the pouch. I think the majority of the toppings have gone off, but it's still a nice blend of virgina and burley. I get the sweetness of the virginia and whatever topping remains with the big billowing smoke from the burley. And the aftertaste is pleasant.

Pouched tobaccos intrigue me as a throwback to watching my grandfather and his ilk smoke. I have a feeling he'd find all my tinned tobaccos pretentious.
Sounds good. I've never seen this before, and don't remember it from the box pass; it must have been taken or put before or after my turn with the box.

Anyway, yes, pouched tobaccos remind me of my dad, mostly. My pipe smoking uncle and others went through Sir Walter by the tub. Thinking back through all of the pipe smoking men I remember, their favorites included SW of course, along with Middleton Cherry Blend, Granger, Half & Half, Borkum Riff, and one guy even smoked Mixture 79 regularly. The only guy I knew that smoked non-drug-store tobacco was an ex-Navy guy everyone called "Chief", who regularly ordered pouches of Three Star vanilla flavored tobacco from Iwan Ries. He was a salesman for a cement company that I worked for, and he is probably the strongest influence in getting me into "real" pipe smoking. It was he and another salesman, (a West Point grad, btw) that taught me how to properly load a pipe. I could go on ...
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)