JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:03 pm
Rusty wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:49 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:56 pm
Coco? Coco!
Are you following this thread?
I need some reinforcements here, they seek to pull me over to the dark (and floral) side.
Go look at Goose's list.
Kendal Dark won't be topped.
I entered this thread with peaked curiosity about trying Kendal. Where did the red flags emanate from?
Goose's list?
GH Brown Flake (unscented) (they make a scented version, but it is not nearly as good)
GH Scotch Flake
GH Best Brown #2
GH Brown Flake Vanilla
GH Cherry Cream Flake
Go back to trying Kendal Dark. In fact, don't bother. Just stay with the Danish Stuff.
But you might talk to Goose or even provoke him into writing a review.
I think you had something other than Scotch flake. But make your own choices.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Re: Kendal Dark

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:39 pm

Rusty wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:17 pm
I think you had something other than Scotch flake.
Are there two versions? My 2/2015 P&C order says "Gawith & Hoggarth Scotch Flake Scented ."

Goose said some of the GH blends come scented or unscented.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:30 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:39 pm
Rusty wrote:
Are there two versions? My 2/2015 P&C order says "Gawith & Hoggarth Scotch Flake Scented ."

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:34 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Rusty wrote:

True. I only see one on Smokingpipes. The first review on TR says:

"Very slight bakers chocolate aroma and flavor but it's way in the background. Not noticed with each puff but occasionally rears its head, however slightly. It melds with the virginia and provides a nice, spicy, semi-sweet smoke."

There are certainly others that uses the same words... I can find lots of them, right into 2016.
"I have little to add. Yes, the chocolate notes are there in the aroma. Yes, it is a sweet, bready VA. Yes, it smokes impeccably as is typical of GH&Co tobaccos."

Not everyone says that. Here's a fellow that says something VERY different. This is closer to your view.
"I know the description says no added flavoring, but dadgumit, the G&H perfume is in this one too. Maybe the crop dusting machines for G&H Virginia tobaccos spray Chanel #5 as they protect the leaf from bugs."

So this is a real puzzle. I can't explain why for some it's chocolate and for others it's the equivalent of little old ladies. Can you explain it? To me these read like different tobaccos. The reviews are vastly different. And holding me responsible for this odd situation is really not fair. I'm with the chocolate guys, who are, btw, the majority. You aren't. And probably Coco isn't either. You guys are impaired and you're not alone. This is sad. All this time I thought you guys were weird and it turns out that you really are weird.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:51 pm

FWIW, I could smoke Old Dark Fired ready-rubbed endlessly. Might be worth a shot for some.
If the American people ever really understand the Left, they'll boil them in oil.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:50 pm

Rusty wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:34 pm
...All this time I thought you guys were weird and it turns out that you really are weird.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:22 pm

Rusty wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
Rusty wrote:

"Very slight bakers chocolate aroma and flavor but it's way in the background. Not noticed with each puff but occasionally rears its head, however slightly. It melds with the virginia and provides a nice, spicy, semi-sweet smoke."

There are certainly others that uses the same words... I can find lots of them, right into 2016.
"I have little to add. Yes, the chocolate notes are there in the aroma. Yes, it is a sweet, bready VA. Yes, it smokes impeccably as is typical of GH&Co tobaccos."

Not everyone says that. Here's a fellow that says something VERY different. This is closer to your view.
"I know the description says no added flavoring, but dadgumit, the G&H perfume is in this one too. Maybe the crop dusting machines for G&H Virginia tobaccos spray Chanel #5 as they protect the leaf from bugs."

So this is a real puzzle. I can't explain why for some it's chocolate and for others it's the equivalent of little old ladies. Can you explain it? To me these read like different tobaccos. The reviews are vastly different. And holding me responsible for this odd situation is really not fair. I'm with the chocolate guys, who are, btw, the majority. You aren't. And probably Coco isn't either. You guys are impaired and you're not alone. This is sad. All this time I thought you guys were weird and it turns out that you really are weird.
My guess might be overly dimplistic, but I still think it is correct: mislabeled tobaccos.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:49 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:22 pm
Rusty wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
Rusty wrote:

My guess might be overly dimplistic, but I still think it is correct: mislabeled tobaccos.
I tried that theory. They didn't buy it the first couple of times. They're stuck on the idea that it didn't taste like Rusty told them it would. People in reviews mentioning chocolate or folks saying it's not floral isn't pertinent apparently. It wasn't like chocolate for them. If you search for Scotch flake with JudgeRusty's name this is a game that has two years of history. Then he tried Erinmore and didn't like that either and decided to remind me about Scotch flake again. It has become an annual tradition now. The odd thing is that I never remember it before I manage to fall into it all again.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:46 am

Rusty wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:49 am
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
Rusty wrote:

I tried that theory. They didn't buy it the first couple of times. They're stuck on the idea that it didn't taste like Rusty told them it would. People in reviews mentioning chocolate or folks saying it's not floral isn't pertinent apparently. It wasn't like chocolate for them. If you search for Scotch flake with JudgeRusty's name this is a game that has two years of history. Then he tried Erinmore and didn't like that either and decided to remind me about Scotch flake again. It has become an annual tradition now. The odd thing is that I never remember it before I manage to fall into it all again.
My sample was obtained from JudgeRusty. MrsCoco despised the room note, and told me to never smoke it around her again. She usually doesn't mind the smell of pipe smoke.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:23 pm

coco wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:50 pm
Rusty wrote:
...All this time I thought you guys were weird and it turns out that you really are weird.
I do my part.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:59 pm

coco wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:46 am
Rusty wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:49 am
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
Rusty wrote:

My sample was obtained from JudgeRusty. MrsCoco despised the room note, and told me to never smoke it around her again. She usually doesn't mind the smell of pipe smoke.
Most of my comments about the tobacco come from my journal notes. It's almost 13 years ago (Fall 2004) that I smoked 8 oz. of it. Then it was OOS and harder to get for some reason. And I never did return to it. Instead I went through many of the other GH flakes and mixtures, which I really liked. I didn't take any pics of the tobacco but it was quite light coloured compared to many darker GH flakes. The following looked like mine:

http://www.pfeife-tabak.de/Tabak/GH/Sco ... flake.html

In the TR reviews it looks like there are two tobaccos in play. And reactions to it are quite polarized into two views. We see our views (yours and mine) of the tobacco mirrored in the TR reviews. It's hard to account for. And our usual default position that the tobacco objectively has a characteristic flavour that would be experienced and agreed upon by anyone trying it, is evidently wrong. We also have poor knowledge about whether the same product is actually being compared. So it might be that there is an explanation but it isn't evident in what we know now.

Have you tried any other GH tobaccos?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:34 am

I tried this for the first time over the weekend.

Cigar notes in the last half of the bowl. Burt leaf notes through entire bowl.

Great cut.

Flavor is not to my liking. But, so what?
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:42 pm

It has arrived.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:34 am

One thing that is most true of Kendal Dark, I find. Other tobaccos, being by nature less powerful and laden with nicotine, quickly come to seem insipid, if not actually positively bland or unsatisfying, after having smoked Kendal Dark for a time.

I'll post a full review anon.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 am

Rusty wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:30 pm
Orlik DSK is quite unique. They did something in the processing that makes it quite mild in strength. Unless we're told we'd never guess that it has any Kentucky dark leaf in it. It's the polar opposite of a halfzware in every way. Together with its topping ODK gives the impression of being dark candy. It's really nice.
I have two tins of Orlik DSK I bought nearly a year ago, but have not yet tried. But what you wrote about it makes me want to crack a tin soon.
Rusty wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:30 pm
Did you ever smoke Drum, Goose?
Sorry I missed seeing this question until today.

Yes, I have smoked Drum. Before returning to the pipe, I used to roll my own cigarettes, and found Drum to be very good. Nice very fine shag cut, and rich "tin" note.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:54 pm

His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS