Kendal Dark

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Kendal Dark

Post by A_Morley » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:29 pm

I've just ordered a quantity of G&H Kendal Dark. I've never smoked it, but I decided to pull the trigger sight unseen. Perhaps I should have asked the smokers that be here on CPS before so doing, but here we are. It's gotten great reviews everywhere I've checked into. Few people seem to dislike it outright.

I'll post a review one it arrives and I've smoked it. Have any here assembled smoked Kendal Dark in any quantity? Do you think that I will like it?
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Kendal Dark

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:35 pm

I generally do not like anything containing the word "Kendal". But I look forward to your review.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:51 pm

I never tried this one but I should have. It looks like a fairly straight forward Halfzware. Half dark fired and half Virginia. That's classic. Ought to be reasonably strong but also flavourful. Look forward to the review.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:28 am

Didn't I send you a sample of this?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:04 am

Dark fired and Virginia?--sounds great

However, I never know which G&H or SG blends have the old lady scent and which ones do not.

Oh, but for a list.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:08 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:04 am

However, I never know which G&H or SG blends have the old lady scent and which ones do not.

Oh, but for a list.
Gawith & Hoggarth sell "scented" and "unscented" varieties of their favorite blends.

For example:
Brown Flake Scented
Brown Flake Unscented

Here's a whole list:
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/sho ... d/1803001/
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Del

Post by Del » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:17 am

A_Morley wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:29 pm
I've just ordered a quantity of G&H Kendal Dark. I've never smoked it, but I decided to pull the trigger sight unseen. Perhaps I should have asked the smokers that be here on CPS before so doing, but here we are. It's gotten great reviews everywhere I've checked into. Few people seem to dislike it outright.

I'll post a review one it arrives and I've smoked it. Have any here assembled smoked Kendal Dark in any quantity? Do you think that I will like it?
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/gawith ... o/1472841/
Kendal Dark is a very heady combination or Virginias and Burleys. some of them fire-cured, that have been matured until fairly dark in color. It's cut into a fine shag which packs easily and burns readily. It may not look or smell overpowering, but this blend is sneaky strong.
Most assuredly, you will enjoy the flavor of dark virginia and burley.

But only you can tell us how much you enjoy being punched in the stomach by a strong shag.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:25 am

I have some Kendal Dark jarred up. I smoked a couple bowls when it arrived and it didn't click with me so I put it away. It was strong and dark but little else. No Lakeland flavoring to be found. Maybe I'll break it out in a couple of days and see if some time will change my mind on this tobacco.

I bought it along with a tin of Cabbie's and have gone through several tins of that. One of my favorites.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:48 am

Rusty wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:51 pm
I never tried this one but I should have. It looks like a fairly straight forward Halfzware. Half dark fired and half Virginia. That's classic. Ought to be reasonably strong but also flavourful. Look forward to the review.
I wonder if the GH Kendal Dark is similar to Rattray's Stirling Flake, which is quite dark, and Virginia, Burley, & Kentucky. Some have said Stirling is close to Peterson's Irish Flake. I can only smoke a small bowl of Stirling, and then only occasionally. I have too many tins of it.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:44 am

My only dark fired experience is with Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky which also pairs dark fired with Virginia. I do not suppose it is similar to Kendal Dark, is it?
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:30 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:44 am
My only dark fired experience is with Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky which also pairs dark fired with Virginia. I do not suppose it is similar to Kendal Dark, is it?
Orlik DSK is quite unique. They did something in the processing that makes it quite mild in strength. Unless we're told we'd never guess that it has any Kentucky dark leaf in it. It's the polar opposite of a halfzware in every way. Together with its topping ODK gives the impression of being dark candy. It's really nice. Not nearly the strength that this one should have.

The strength of Irish flake would be comparable to this I would guess. Irish flake/Stirling flake are reported to be roughly 1/3 of each of Dark leaf, Burley, and Virginia (flue cured). But it's topped and in flake form.

These halfzware shag mixtures can vary from quite savory (not sweet) to nutty (Drum is an example) to sweet and in all cases they have strength. It largely depends upon the Virginia half of of the mixture. They were much more in evidence in the past.

Did you ever smoke Drum, Goose?

Gawith Bracken flake, Kendal Kentucky, are examples of real dark leaf. In fact you could make your own Halfzware with Kendal Kentucky and some flue cured.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:53 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:

Oh, but for a list.
You should give Ennerdale or Grousmour or something like that another shot. It is an acquired taste, for sure, but once you're hooked...

I have some extra aged Ennerdale around here, I think. It loses some of it's scent after a while. I could send you some if you'd like. Just PM me.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:29 pm

The above is truth.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:29 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:

Oh, but for a list.
These bulk Gawith Hoggarth bulk tobaccos do not have any Ennerdale like floral scent at all, or if there is, it's extremely hard to detect. The tobaccos are mostly all Virginia, but Brown Flake might have some burley in it.

I am listing them in the order of my personal preference, but I would get a one or two ounce sample of each, to see how you like them. The Best Brown #2 comes in a tinned version, as well.

GH Brown Flake (unscented) (they make a scented version, but it is not nearly as good)
GH Scotch Flake
GH Best Brown #2
GH Brown Flake Vanilla
GH Cherry Cream Flake
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:59 pm

Cleon wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:53 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:

Oh, but for a list.
You should give Ennerdale or Grousmour or something like that another shot. It is an acquired taste, for sure, but once you're hooked...

I have some extra aged Ennerdale around here, I think. It loses some of it's scent after a while. I could send you some if you'd like. Just PM me.
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:29 pm
The above is truth.
Agreed. Ennerdale is a desert isle tobacco for me.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:56 pm

Coco? Coco!
Are you following this thread?
I need some reinforcements here, they seek to pull me over to the dark (and floral) side.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:49 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:56 pm
Coco? Coco!
I need some reinforcements here, they seek to pull me over to the dark (and floral) side.
Don't try Ennerdale first. But there are plenty of others that you might like. Go look at Goose's list. You like the Danish tobaccos. They're all sweetened and flavoured. Is Denmark in Alabama? Not last time we looked. These are an acquired taste too.

Kendal Dark won't be topped.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:00 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Coco? Coco!
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:03 pm

Rusty wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:49 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Coco? Coco!
Don't try Ennerdale first. But there are plenty of others that you might like. Go look at Goose's list. You like the Danish tobaccos. They're all sweetened and flavoured. Is Denmark in Alabama? Not last time we looked. These are an acquired taste too.

A more restrained and conservative approach? What's wrong with you? Are you feeling okay?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:03 pm

Rusty wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:49 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Coco? Coco!
Go look at Goose's list.
I entered this thread with peaked curiosity about trying Kendal. Where did the red flags emanate from?
Goose's list?
GH Brown Flake (unscented) (they make a scented version, but it is not nearly as good)
GH Scotch Flake
GH Best Brown #2
GH Brown Flake Vanilla
GH Cherry Cream Flake