Bob's Chocolate Flake

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Bob's Chocolate Flake

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:27 pm

I ordered 4oz of this from smoking pipes and it arrived the day after my daughter's birth. I have been smoking a lot of flake cuts lately, and was excited to try this one out.
Today I packed a light bowl in one of my favourite homemade pipes and excitedly went out to the garage to do some work and enjoy a nice cup of dark roast and a smoke.
It lit up nicely, though I wondered on packing if I should have dried it a little.
Upon my first real puff I sat to savour the flavour of chocolate.
Perfume.
It tastes like perfume.
It tastes like my grandmother's perfume.
I have 4oz of my grandmother's perfume sitting in my cellar now.
What the deuce? Will I acquire a taste for perfume in my pipe?
I also feel like this will ghost the crap out of any pipe it's smoked in, yes?
What is the perfume taste? And where is the chocolate????
I give Bob's Chocolate Flake 3 poop emojis out of ten stars right now.
I'm not sure why I ordered so much of something I've never previously tried but I will not be doing that again.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: Bob's Chocolate Flake

Post by Goose55 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:54 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:27 pm
I ordered 4oz of this from smoking pipes and it arrived the day after my daughter's birth. I have been smoking a lot of flake cuts lately, and was excited to try this one out.
Today I packed a light bowl in one of my favourite homemade pipes and excitedly went out to the garage to do some work and enjoy a nice cup of dark roast and a smoke.
It lit up nicely, though I wondered on packing if I should have dried it a little.
Upon my first real puff I sat to savour the flavour of chocolate.
Perfume.
It tastes like perfume.
It tastes like my grandmother's perfume.
I have 4oz of my grandmother's perfume sitting in my cellar now.
What the deuce? Will I acquire a taste for perfume in my pipe?
I also feel like this will ghost the crap out of any pipe it's smoked in, yes?
What is the perfume taste? And where is the chocolate???? Image
I give Bob's Chocolate Flake 3 poop emojis out of ten stars right now. ImageImageImage
I'm not sure why I ordered so much of something I've never previously tried but I will not be doing that again.

Did you get the Sam Gawith, or Gawith Hoggarth BCF?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:57 pm

I'm sad for you. I really dig the stuff.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:14 pm

Goose: Gawith Hogarth & Co bulk.

Jim: that's why I'm wondering if I can acquire a taste for it. I've seen so many people talk about it.

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:07 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:14 pm
Goose: Gawith Hogarth & Co bulk.

Jim: that's why I'm wondering if I can acquire a taste for it. I've seen so many people talk about it.

Nope. It's done. This is clear-cut evidence that somebody swapped you or your taste-buds with someone from Alabama. We've been through this before with others here. But they are from Alabama. That's the test and the results are in. Your answers are clear cut, and not like either chocolate flake. Really.

"Perfume.
It tastes like perfume.
It tastes like my grandmother's perfume."

Accept it. You're not who you thought you were.
You have a stolen identity or borrowed taste-buds and you need to give it/them back.

Somebody stole some or all of a perfectly normal canuck kid. GIVE HIM BACK.
In the meantime you can ask JudgeRusty & Coco which Lake District tobaccos don't taste like Grandma's perfume. Nothing the rest of us say about about those Lake District tobaccos is relevant for you. I think those two avoid them altogether. I suspect that all of the flavoured Lake District tobaccos taste like grandma's perfume to them.

All kidding aside your taste buds tell you something very different than mine tell me with that tobacco. It's an older woman's perfume for you. That's not at all what I taste. But Coco and JudgeRusty would agree with you. It's possible that you may develop a taste for Grandma's perfume but I wouldn't bet on it.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:04 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:07 pm
All kidding aside your taste buds tell you something very different than mine tell me with that tobacco. It's an older woman's perfume for you. That's not at all what I taste.
:)
I got faint notes very briefly of other flavours when first drawing, but then the perfume would overwhelm again.
What flavours do you pick up?

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:19 pm

Tobacco Reviews lists 22 mentions of "perfume."

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/553 ... late-flake
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:23 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:04 pm
Rusty wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:07 pm
All kidding aside your taste buds tell you something very different than mine tell me with that tobacco. It's an older woman's perfume for you. That's not at all what I taste.
:)
I got faint notes very briefly of other flavours when first drawing, but then the perfume would overwhelm again.
What flavours do you pick up?
There is something that is a little like chocolate. But it's not quite chocolate. Greg Pease guessed that it also has a little Latakia in it. It might. Small amounts of Latakia in some mixtures do contribute a somewhat chocolate flavour rather than the flavour you might associate with Latakia. It also has a somewhat liqueur-like flavour that is non-specific (ie it has a unique flavour to me) too. So I think there is some topping on it and it lasts for at least a decade. It's uniquely Bob's Chocolate flake. Nothing else I've ever had has duplicated it. There is nothing like a woman's perfume for me.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:29 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:19 pm

Since you're looking up other opinions I gather that you (Del) have not tried it.

208 reviews. The one's that say it's perfume are in the minority.

They also seem to suggest that for them there is one common Lake District flavouring or topping (Lake District Essence - singular) so flavour differentiation is not the same across the two groups because that is certainly not the case for me and others. If you read the reviews of other GH flavoured Lake District flakes the same polarized reviews from the two groups are also present. Check out Scotch Flake, for example.

There really are different and quite polarized perceptions of this.

Blend Description.
The main characteristics of this flake come from the 8% latakia included in the blend and the smooth chocolate aroma. Brazilian, Zimbabwe, Malawi Virginia leaf make up 82% of the blend providing a mild/medium smoke cooled with the addition of 8% Malawi sun cured and 2% Malawi burley. The latakia cools but does also add strength and aroma. The cocoa casings and chocolate top flavors are rounded off with vanillas and other flavors providing sweet notes.
Last edited by Rusty on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Del

Post by Del » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:39 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:29 pm
Del wrote:

Since you're looking up other opinions I gather that you (Del) have not tried it.

They also seem to suggest that for them there is one common Lake District flavouring or topping so flavour differentiation is not the same across the two groups because that is certainly not the case for me and others. If you read the reviews of other GH flavoured Lake District flakes the same polarized reviews from the two groups are also present. Check out Scotch Flake, for example.

Blend Description.
The main characteristics of this flake come from the 8% latakia included in the blend and the smooth chocolate aroma. Brazilian, Zimbabwe, Malawi Virginia leaf make up 82% of the blend providing a mild/medium smoke cooled with the addition of 8% Malawi sun cured and 2% Malawi burley. The latakia cools but does also add strength and aroma. The cocoa casings and chocolate top flavors are rounded off with vanillas and other flavors providing sweet notes.
I enjoyed Samuel Gawith's Chocolate Flake.

And I enjoy GH&Co's perfumed blends on occasion.

But I don't recall ever smoking Bob's Chocolate Flake.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:51 pm

It's one of those blends that I have to be in the mood for and only on occasion. It will definitely ghost a pipe real quick. I don't get perfume from it but I do think there is a small amount of latakia.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:02 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:39 pm
Rusty wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:29 pm
Del wrote:

They also seem to suggest that for them there is one common Lake District flavouring or topping so flavour differentiation is not the same across the two groups because that is certainly not the case for me and others. If you read the reviews of other GH flavoured Lake District flakes the same polarized reviews from the two groups are also present. Check out Scotch Flake, for example.

Blend Description.
I enjoyed Samuel Gawith's Chocolate Flake.

And I enjoy GH&Co's perfumed blends on occasion.

But I don't recall ever smoking Bob's Chocolate Flake.
You're biasing language by adding the word perfume. But you have a real skill at biasing messages. And I've told you this before.
Do any of the GH tobaccos taste like Grandma's perfume to you?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:26 pm

Interesting. This must be like cilantro, which tastes like soap to some people. I love cilantro, though.

I'm going to give it one more shot with an oatmeal stout. Otherwise, Rusty send me your mailing address for a nice surprise :p

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:35 pm

Del wrote:

Interesting (again). Only a few of them actually refer to it in a negative - most seem to view it as a positive.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:50 pm

:wavey:

Other euphemisms besides perfume are "floral," "scented" and "soapy."
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:39 pm

Bob's Chocolate Flake has to be the most disappointing tobacco in history. I enjoy it today, but I still remember my disappointment when I first tried it as a new pipe smoker. There's no chocolate there and when you expect chocolate and don't get it you're disappointed. But when you just enjoy what it is it kind of grows on you.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: RE: Re: Bob's Chocolate Flake

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:31 pm

FredS wrote:Bob's Chocolate Flake has to be the most disappointing tobacco in history. I enjoy it today, but I still remember my disappointment when I first tried it as a new pipe smoker. There's no chocolate there and when you expect chocolate and don't get it you're disappointed. But when you just enjoy what it is it kind of grows on you.
Do you taste the "perfume" Fred, but enjoy it? Or to you, what "it is," is different?

From the description I was expecting a chocolate 1Q or something. The tin note left me thinking I was off on my assumption, but that disappointment was nothing compared to when lighting it up :(

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:25 am

The 'perfume' is a characteristic of many (all?) 'Lakeland blends'. If there's a Gawith in the brand name, you'll probably pick up a little of the perfume smell/taste so if you don't like it then you should look to other blenders.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:29 am

I smoked this back in 2003. It tasted like a light English, but gave off an awesome aroma.
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:36 am

DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017