Raku

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Raku

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:35 pm

Castro Brothers brand, reportedly blended by McClellan. Per TR:

Reminiscent of a Potters work of art, Raku steps outside the norm. Blended with Orientals and unique Virginia Cavendish made with Carolina leaf that is pulled together with Black Cavendish, RAKU has a loyal following and satisfies a wide range of tastes. This is a unique blend because it contains no Latakia.Raku means "enjoyment", "comfort" or "ease" It's time to relax with a bowl of RAKU.

Brand Castro Brothers
Blended By McClelland
Manufactured By McClelland
Blend Type Oriental
Contents Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Flavoring None
Cut Ribbon
Packaging
Country US

The lone reviewer on TR gave this blend 3 (out of 4) stars, comparing it with McC's Smyrna. At the moment I'm giving 4 stars.It's been a while since I smoke one like this one, and I really enjoyed it.
Tin note: Think of the strongest richest holiday mince-meat that you can imagine.
First light: A single match or flick of the lighter lights it up very easily, and the immediate sensation compares to lighting up a fine cigar with a lit piece of cedar while in a cedar-lined closet.
Mid-Smoke: The flavor and aroma is like walking into an old house in Louisiana, New Orleans perhaps, that has an ancient cypress wood floor an an old fireplace that has seen a century or more of use, while sipping on a cool glass of Lagavulin whiskey. Lots of creamy smooth smoke. No re-lights.
Finish: Just like it started.

I honestly can't remember where I obtained this tin. Like the TR reviewer's tin, this one has a 3-2014 stamp. I may have got it in a trade, possibly from Johnny Mc. Anyway, I'm glad to have it.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

sweetandsour

Re: Raku

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:40 am

I failed to list one discrepancy, the TR description says "without Latakia", however Latakia is listed as an ingredient, both by TR and also on the tin. The Latakia is definitely noticed in the smoke.
I'm still trying to recall where I obtained this tin of tobacco.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Re: Raku

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:55 pm

Yep, you got it from me, I forget where I got it, but I have too many English blends aging too fast to enjoy them all so I figured I’d pass it on to someone who could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis