MacBaren HH Bold Kentucky

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

MacBaren HH Bold Kentucky

Post by 7formy1911 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:42 am

Over the years I have developed a taste for dark fired Kentucky leaf from both the U.S. and Africa. Many Gawith & Hoggarth offerings feature this leaf, especially in flake form, but usually with an added Lakeland essence. Even the non-topped varieties have some background of what seems like baby powder to me and I find it very off putting. Peterson’s Irish Flake was much to my liking taste wise but was the only tobacco to ever overwhelm me with nicotine to the point of almost chundering the contents of my stomach. Thankfully the feeling passed and so to have I passed on Irish Flake.

MacBaren and I also do not get along with their standard offerings (Golden Extra, Symphony etc). No matter the cadence of puffing it seems that everything I have tried from them ends up giving me a scorched tongue. The tobacco is pleasant but is not particularly inspiring and very weak in the nicotine department. Yes, Irish Flake was a bit too much for me but I do prefer some level of stoutness especially a notch or two above medium in the nicotine department.

Given my search for a stout, dark fired Kentucky blend I was slightly apprehensive about trying HH Bold Kentucky from MacBaren. It seemed to tick off all of the boxes that would make for an enjoyable smoke but I was holding back because of the previous history of tongue bite. At first light that worry disappeared in clouds of smoke and I have most certainly enjoyed this blend. I’m not big on flakes and typically rub them out rather than fold and stuff. I’m sure I’ll try some folding and stuffing in the future but for now a quick rubbing out, some dry time (15 to 45 minutes depending upon household distractions) and into my trusty Peterson Rosslare 03 bent apple. The first light brings some earth, leather and slight smokiness. Once everything levels off the bright Virginia brings just the very slightest sweetness to the mix and helps keep any bitterness or ashiness at bay. The taste is monochromatic with only very slight variations throughout the bowl but it’s a taste I truly enjoy. The deep bass notes give this flake a feel and taste that is reminiscent of Irish Flake but certainly not clone like. The earth, leather and smokiness are all intertwined and provide a bold taste that is slightly mitigated by the bright Virginias. All in all a wonderful flake and a must try if you prefer the deeper notes in blends as opposed to the higher notes like grass, citrus and hay that you would find in most bright Virginias. Nicotine is solidly a notch or two above medium but do not approach overwhelming levels at all if you’re used to smoking on a regular basis. If you’re new to the pipe approach with a little caution but don’t hesitate to get your feet wet since this is a great representation of the genre. Overall highly recommended!
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Re: MacBaren HH Bold Kentucky

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:38 am

When researching tobacco for SS this year, I studied this tobacco and it's various descriptions and reviews. I almost bought a tin for myself but restrained. Reading your review makes me question that decision.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:42 am

I had the same apprehension you had with this tobacco being a McB tobacco which always turned my tongue into lava. I really enjoyed the Bold Kentucky and need to get some more.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:04 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:42 am
I had the same apprehension you had with this tobacco being a McB tobacco which always turned my tongue into lava. I really enjoyed the Bold Kentucky and need to get some more.
I’ve got a tin that I’m finishing up with several more in reserve. I may tack a few more on a future order as well!
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:05 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:38 am
When researching tobacco for SS this year, I studied this tobacco and it's various descriptions and reviews. I almost bought a tin for myself but restrained. Reading your review makes me question that decision.
Get some! I think you would enjoy it to say the least.

michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by michigander » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:49 pm

Nice review 7.

This sounds right up my alley.

I will add this to my next purchase.

Thanks for addressing the MacBaren tongue bite question. Without your remarks I would have completely bypassed this.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:46 pm

michigander wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:49 pm
Nice review 7.

This sounds right up my alley.

I will add this to my next purchase.

Thanks for addressing the MacBaren tongue bite question. Without your remarks I would have completely bypassed this.
Ditto. Word for word.

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:05 pm

I have a tin of this sitting in a drawer . . . maybe it is time to pop it open and give it a try.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

And he said to the man,
"Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding." - Job 28:28

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:46 pm

Here too. I've found I can't smoke much of anything of MB's non-HH stuff. But all of the HH stuff I've tried has been entirely smokable.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV