Lancer's Slices

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
Dug
Biff
Biff

Lancer's Slices

Post by Dug » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:47 pm

I bought several ounces of this Charles Fairmorn tobacco in bulk from Mars Cigarsa while back, and have been enjoying it immensely.

It's a dark, nearly black broken flake of latakia and virginias, wonderfully pungent in the bag, rich with the same manly virtues one finds in campfires, barbecue, and jerky. I usually rub it out a bit before packing. Deeply smoky, darkly sweet -- it's not busy with orientals or other components, but is extraordinarily satisfying. Once I get it lit, it burns very well.

While the smoke itself is silky smooth, you should expect to taste the latakia for a while afterwards. And this isn't one you're going to go to when looking for an inoffensive room note for the easily queasy. But as a red-meat smoke for a latakia-loving smoker, this has become one of my very favorites.

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:59 pm

A cigar tobacconist I frequent for good pipe tobacco gave me a sample of something sliced that sounds quite similar to what you described. He said he couldn't sell it because it cost too much and only gave me a sample because he knew I was a picky pipe smoker. He said if he was to sell it he'd have to charge $20 an ounce. Is Charles Fairmorn that pricey or was he feeding me a line?

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:06 pm

No. While it's hard to find because not many folks sell it, you can get 8 oz. of this wonderful stuff at Mars for $15.

I wonder what he was giving you? I've read reviews of some interesting sounding blends from Comptons of Galashiel's, which are really pricey, though not a straight latakia/VA flake.

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:23 pm

He didn't know the name, he said he got it in addition to a cigar shipment. (His shop is more for cigars than pipes.) But your descriptions of the color, the smell, the smoke, all sound exactly like this stuff. So he must have just been throwing out a number to impress me. He and his shop reminds of something right out of the Soprano's, (his name is even Tony) so I don't ask too many questions. Plus he just sold me an amazingly beautiful estate Savinelli for $25, so no bickering of prices will be escaping my lips.

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:30 pm

Sounds like one of those Savinellis that fell of the back of a truck...

Munkey
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Post by Munkey » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:09 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:he'd have to charge $20 an ounce
It didn't come with tin foil and a glass straw, did it?

MacGuru
I'm a PC
I'm a PC

Post by MacGuru » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:25 pm

Does your tobacconist have "the" as a middle name?
"If you get that you're cooler than MacGuru. And nobody's that cool."- LushMojo

Meh Meh Meh.

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:53 pm

I'd like to try a flake with latakia in it. Might have to try this one.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:39 pm

ryland wrote:I'd like to try a flake with latakia in it. Might have to try this one.
Do it. I prefer it even to Penzance.

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:01 pm

Woohoo! SmokingPipes.com took my suggestion/plea and struck a deal with Charles Fairmorn to begin carrying Lancer's Slices:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by- ... t_id=39821

If you buy tobacco in bulk and like latakia, I heartily recommend this blend. You can find reviews of it here.

Dug
Biff
Biff

Re: Lancer's Slices

Post by Dug » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:56 pm

First pipe in ages, I popped open a nine-year-old jar of this stuff. Wow. Smoky and smoovealicious, with pungent Latakia undercurrents. Still one of my all-time favorites. Perhaps my very favorite.

Smoking this old tobacco made me think of this old forum, and all of the laughs, prayers, and fellowship it provided me years ago. Praying with gratitude for all you CPSers, old and new, those still here and those gone on to their reward. (Brother Nikolai, pray for us!) May God bless, keep, and use us all, to His greater glory.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:59 pm

Dug wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:56 pm
First pipe in ages, I popped open a nine-year-old jar of this stuff. Wow. Smoky and smoovealicious, with pungent Latakia undercurrents. Still one of my all-time favorites. Perhaps my very favorite.

Smoking this old tobacco made me think of this old forum, and all of the laughs, prayers, and fellowship it provided me years ago. Praying with gratitude for all you CPSers, old and new, those still here and those gone on to their reward. (Brother Nikolai, pray for us!) May God bless, keep, and use us all, to His greater glory.
Dug sighting!

:chili:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:56 am

Dug wrote:

Greetings! You're the guy that used to send free books. Thanks again for that.

Lancers Slices are awesome, but for me just a very little bit went a very long way. They laid me on the floor more than once or twice. Haven't had any in years.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Jester

Post by Jester » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:58 am

I sent out a good size sample bag of Lancer's Slices in this years box pass. I think Hugo's dog enjoyed it.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:14 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:56 am
Dug wrote:

Greetings! You're the guy that used to send free books. Thanks again for that.

Lancers Slices are awesome, but for me just a very little bit went a very long way. They laid me on the floor more than once or twice. Haven't had any in years.
Welcome back, Dug!

Any new kids? Or kid brothers?

I was never much of a latakia fan... enjoy an occasional tin as a treat, now and then.

But I am eternally grateful to other brother Munkey's awesome review of Samuel Gawith's Best Brown Flake. That one made a virginia smoker out of me!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:25 pm

Jester wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:58 am
I sent out a good size sample bag of Lancer's Slices in this years box pass. I think Hugo's dog enjoyed it.
Loved it.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

plainview
Usher
Usher

Post by plainview » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:40 pm

It's one of the campfire-iest smelling blends around.