KAJUN KAKE!

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
GrabowGuy
I get no stars, and will like it.

KAJUN KAKE!

Post by GrabowGuy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:37 am

This is a old fashioned plug tobacco. It's red VA's with a little perique, and I mean { A little } perique. FMOTB has more perique than this, as well as Dorchester. All-in-all though, it is a good smoke. Kind of a dark and musty smoke with a tad of hickory wood. I like it, but I would probably not purchase it again. I'll go with good old Irish Flake over this.
COBS SUCK!

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:36 am

This must be my night for resurrecting zombies, but I have made tonight's mission to get as many tobacco-related threads onto the leaderboard as possible; a daunting task. So, here is my review of a tin bought 2-11, opened 5-11, and reviewed 12-11.

Reviewed By: Kilmarnock Piper
Strength: Medium to Strong (I'd tend to go to medium now)
Flavoring: Extremely Mild
Taste: Medium to Full
Room Note: Tolerable
Recommendation: Recommended (3 of 4 stars)

Smoking some Kajun Kake right now in my Savinelli Capri. This seemed harsh right out of the tin in March, but just those few months in a jar have mellowed it out quite a bit. It is nice for slow sipping, strong enough without being overpowering, and the dark Virginia (well, actually just checked and it's Red Virginia, but at least the Kake is dark) and generous Perique is nice. I guess they Cavendishize some or all of that Virginia. I like it, as I like all C&D Crumble Cakes. I might like Briar Fox a little more than this, but they are different styles of course, and I am always tweaking my opinions on C&D blends, for some reason. I am a perique fan, and there seems to be plenty in here. This will be spectacular after 10 years in the tin, I'm sure, and it's enjoyable now. Very nice presentation of this cake (Kake). It looks like a perfectly-formed plug, but I have never come across a crumble cake before that holds together so well, yet allows one to easily pinch off enough for a bowl. Well done, as usual, and I still think C&D does best with their Crumble Cakes.

Or should I phrase that:

I don't think this is spectacular stuff or that it stands out from the crowd in any way, except that it might be the best crumble cake presentation I've ever seen. Holds together so well it looks like a plug, yet you can oh-so-easily pinch off the perfect portion and promptly and properly pulverize it for your pipe with no problem at all!

Now I'm smoking a bowl in a Carey Magic Inch, a strange old gimmick pipe that had slits in either side of the stem which I filled in with wood glue. It smokes fine now, and though an unremarkable rusticated billiard, is not that unattractive.
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:58 am

Good stuff, love me some Kajun Kake.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Re: KAJUN KAKE!

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:53 pm

I am three bowls into my first tin.
I generally like my VaPers with dark sweet Virginias and just a little Perique (2015, for example).

I find Kajun Kake a bit harsh and not sweet.

However, I will jar the rest and smoke this from time to time.
I recall I time when I thought black coffee and dark chocolate were a bit harsh; it has been a long time since my tastes were like that, though.

So, aging might change this tobacco and aging might change my tastes.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:57 pm

+JMJ+

I miss GrabowGuy.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:06 pm

wosbald wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:57 pm
+JMJ+

I miss GrabowGuy.
And FoP too.

Lady Jake popped by a few minutes ago, to post in the Pope Francis/Lord's Prayer thread. It's a good night.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:32 pm

Del wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:06 pm
wosbald wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:57 pm
+JMJ+

I miss GrabowGuy.
And FoP too.

Lady Jake popped by a few minutes ago, to post in the Pope Francis/Lord's Prayer thread. It's a good night.
Man I miss FoP.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:06 pm

Funny this thread should pop up. Just last week I was reviewing the stock in my tobacco cellar and ran across a tin of Kajun Kake, as yet unopened. I forget the date, somewhere around 09, I think. My debate is whether to go ahead and smoke it now at around 8 years old or let it sit on the shelf for a couple more years. Thoughts?
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:20 pm

I think I have a stash of this from 2005 or 2006. I'll try and take a look in the coming days.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:34 pm

I don't know why I haven't smoked this yet.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS