28%

Total votes: 57

digger
Congregation
Congregation

Dunhill - Nightcap

Post by digger » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:40 pm

STONG, RICH, TERRIFIC FLAVOR!
This tobacco is not for the weak hearted. It smells pungent, yet fantastic to me. It is stronger than an Arkansas mule, yet it is my favorite after dinner smoke. If it's been a few days since I've had a bowl of it, it sometimes gives me the hiccups. It is a truly full flavored English blend and is strong (did I mention it is strong?)... With all those disclaimers, I'll get on with my view of it:
This is my favorite afternoon and/ or after dinner smoke. It is strong like I want a tobacco to be. I have a Savinelli (prince) churchwarden reserved for this blend; which I smoke very small bowls of it. Smoke it slow and enjoy! In my mind, it is the best tasting (not the best smelling) and relaxing-blend on the market. I hope I never run out of this stuff. In my book of tobacco favorites, this is a 10; a blend of which all other latakia heavy blends are judged against. If anyone tries it and doesn't like it, send it my way! :wink: (I'll pay the postage!)
Not all who wander are lost. - JRR Tolkien

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:14 am

I agree wholeheartedly, digger. For the past several months, I have been on a Virginia kick, but I do enjoy a few latakia blends. Nightcap and Margate are far and away my favorites. Nightcap can't be beat on a cool winter night (well, as cool as it can be in Central Florida :D ). As a matter of fact, I lit up my first bowl of Nightcap for this year last night with a couple of guys from church. They both smoke cigars, but I have piqued their interest in pipes. I sent one home with samples of Escudo and Nightcap (that's all I had with me), so we'll see where that goes.
-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

Michael
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Michael » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:42 pm

Digger,

You're right on the money, buddy! Nightcap is a strong, full-flavored blend. Very tasty, but I once smoked it too fast and got dizzy! For somebody who likes a rich tobacco flavor, English-blend style, you can hardly do better.

sguthrie
Pastor
Pastor

Post by sguthrie » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:17 am

That's why I've been hesitant to try it - I really liked Early Morning Pipe and want to move on and try 965 and Nitghtcap, but I've heard both (especially Nitghtcap) are very strong in nicotine - I know a cigarette smoker who says Nightcap can take the place of his evening cigarette 8O . I REALLY don't like that "nicotine buzz" feeling, so haven't gotten around to trying it yet.
If God is your co-pilot, you're sitting in the wrong seat.

LtMac
Charter Member
Charter Member

Dunhill Nightcap

Post by LtMac » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:21 pm

I've never smoked Dunhill Nightcap until Monday November 29,2004. I have smoked several various English blends, but never Nightcap. Frankly, I don't see it as a strong blend. I never noticed any effect from the nicotine and didn't notice a strong overpowering latakia presence either. Personally, I think that Firehouse Dog from Jack's Tobacco is stronger in both areas. Don't get me wrong, its a good pipe tobacco, but I just don't get the strength like others do. I bought this tin about a week ago from Ye Olde Pipe Shoppe, a local tobacconist here in town. I will enjoy and finish this tin, but probably won't buy more.

LtMac

OldSeaRock
Congregation
Congregation

Post by OldSeaRock » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:16 pm

Nightcap is great stuff.

965 bites my tongue.

If you want a real interesting smoking experience, try the Royal Yacht! That's one of my favorite Dunhill mixtures and it's quite strong.

One caveat: Most all of the Dunhill blends come "wet" in the tin, so drying is necessary. Put a portion on a plate, break up the big strands and then let it sit until the tobacco no longer clumps together when pinched.

I use scissors and cut the tobacco up into small pieces before drying.

20 minutes in non-humid weather usually does the trick. We all attempt to smoke tobacco too wet, IMO.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:48 pm

I read somewhere (dont you just love hearsay as fact) that Nightcap is only about 8% latakia. Most of its body comes from Oriental leaf. Until recently this was considered a rich latakia (7-12%) but many newer blends are 40% or higher. I think the Dunhill Apperitiff (sp?) is much richer, though sweeter.

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:12 pm

UncleBob wrote:I read somewhere (dont you just love hearsay as fact) that Nightcap is only about 8% latakia. Most of its body comes from Oriental leaf. Until recently this was considered a rich latakia (7-12%) but many newer blends are 40% or higher. I think the Dunhill Apperitiff (sp?) is much richer, though sweeter.
8%? The only numbers I've seen for Nightcap put the latakia content around 50% (again, hearsay & conjecture :D ), with VAs and perique making up the rest; and NO oriental (well, if you don't count latakia, which is technically an oriental, I guess) leaf. Aperitif is a predominantly VA-Oriental blend, with some cavendish (VA based, english type cavendish) & latakia thrown in. Of course, I'm speaking of the tinned version of Nightcap...when I tried the bulk version of Nightcap & My Mixture 965, they seemed considerably different than what I get in tins.
-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

Searcher-4-Truth
Usher
Usher

Post by Searcher-4-Truth » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:17 am

I've smoked 1 & 11/12th of a can. It is good, but the 1st few times I smoked it I got a nicotine buzz. Pluss it really stunk up the office & I'm glad I didn;t get in trouble for it. I have recently been told to somke int he smoking room only from now on. :)
Veni vidi velcroe

I came, I saw, I stuck around

anderiv
Congregation
Congregation

Post by anderiv » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:49 pm

Hello all! It's been a *long* tiime since I've last posted, and I apologize for my absence. So...on to the topic at hand.

After reading this thread, I decided that I wanted to give Nightcap a try. I recommended it to one of my pipester friends, and he picked up a few ounces of bulk Nightcap from a local B&M shop. Man - is this stuff great! It's perhaps the most interesting tobacco I've smoked as of yet. It has a very strong, full flavor when puffing actively, but I found it to have very little aftertaste, when compared to most blends. Has anyone else had same results?

Anyways, I'll be sure to pick up a bunch of Nightcap next time I'm at the local smoke shop.

I hope you're all well, and I thank you for the recommendation!

imago
Congregation
Congregation

Post by imago » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:15 am

Nightcap is one of my favourite latakia mixtures. It is indeed quite strong, but I could smoke it at most any time of the day (though I don't consider it to be an all-day smoke).

Paul
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Paul » Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:24 pm

Another gift I recieved for Christmas, this one is probably my fave, though it is repulsive to everyone else. I wish they made air or car freshener that smelled like the tin.

To me tastes like the smell of a leather store. Good stuff. Very good stuff.
".....I can forgive, and I am not ashamed, to be the person that I am today"

PipeAndPint

Post by PipeAndPint » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:08 am

One of my coworkers had been wanting to try this blend ever since I talked him into taking up a pipe - so he bought ME three tins of it for Xpmas.

It's definitely one of my favorite Dunhill blends, but I think British Woods by McM is worlds better.
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

RKoory
Congregation
Congregation

Post by RKoory » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:26 pm

Its been a while since I smoked Nightcap, but I have to agree it is fairly rich. If judged on that basis alone I would have to mark it down as a 4 on the survey. Unfortunately for Nightcap there are other things to consider other than the predominance of the Latakia, like taste, complexity, and other tins of the same genre. Id put Nightcap as a 3. Its good, but I think the overall flavor is not as intriguing as some other tins I have smoked.

mercenary848
Congregation
Congregation

Post by mercenary848 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:29 pm

How does this compare to 965 and maybe McC 5110 in strength? I really like both but am wondering if night cap is really that much stronger?

BoatdockBilly
Congregation
Congregation

Post by BoatdockBilly » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:37 pm

I love Nightcap. "The Velvet Hammer" they call it. It's my favorite english blend.

MDPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by MDPiper » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:13 am

Last night, I enjoyed my first bowl of NightCap. Other pipe smokers, who will remain nameless, say it's to strong, or bites there tongues. I beleive this may be due to the matter of smoking techniques, either it being smoking to fast or puffing to hard. Taking others experiences into account, I louded my pipe with a full bowl and headed to the cold garage (it was in the 30's). I lighted up, sat back and started to puffed gently and smoothly. The smoke was smooth, yet full of flavor, and inside the bowl the red warm glow of baccy was glowing. The ash was a beautiful white powder that dumped out of the bowl with ease. The next thing I know, 45+ minutes went by, and I am down to the bottom of the bowl. I would suggest this baccy to those of you are are experienced pipe smokers, or those of you who tend to smoke Maduro cigars. This is a good strong baccy, that will be in my rotation for sure.
Gitty Up!

Gregor
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Gregor » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:26 am

MDPiper wrote:Last night, I enjoyed my first bowl of NightCap. Other pipe smokers, who will remain nameless, say it's to strong, or bites there tongues. I beleive this may be due to the matter of smoking techniques, either it being smoking to fast or puffing to hard. Taking others experiences into account, I louded my pipe with a full bowl and headed to the cold garage (it was in the 30's). I lighted up, sat back and started to puffed gently and smoothly. The smoke was smooth, yet full of flavor, and inside the bowl the red warm glow of baccy was glowing. The ash was a beautiful white powder that dumped out of the bowl with ease. The next thing I know, 45+ minutes went by, and I am down to the bottom of the bowl. I would suggest this baccy to those of you are are experienced pipe smokers, or those of you who tend to smoke Maduro cigars. This is a good strong baccy, that will be in my rotation for sure.
Maduro cigars? Now I'm going to have to try this stuff.

TweednBriar
A Majority Text Kinda Guy
A Majority Text Kinda Guy

Post by TweednBriar » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:30 am

MDPiper wrote: The next thing I know, 45+ minutes went by, and I am down to the bottom of the bowl.
Whether you were in the body or out of it, you know not?

alchemyhunter
Bacon Samich
Bacon Samich

Post by alchemyhunter » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:37 am

I have smoked Nightcap and choose to not do so again. Wanted to like it, but just couldn't. I do not care for the perique. The rest of the blend, as well as other english/balkan blends, are quite fine. That perique is just a leaf I do not care for...cant put my finger on why....I just dont. Sorry fellows I could only give it a 2.
Our whole life is startlingly moral. There is never an instant's truce between virtue and vice. Goodness is the only investment that never fails. H.D. Thoreau