Your Top Five Pipe Tobacco Blends

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 36705
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Your Top Five Pipe Tobacco Blends

Post by Del » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:12 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:09 pm
Del wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:43 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:01 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:30 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:46 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:19 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:13 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:38 am
Dunhill EM has definitely moved up on the list, along with the East India Co Officers Club. Bob's Chocolate, and Russ's Candy Cane Coco are on the list also, along with Lane 1Q.
If I had to name the two perineal faves though, it would be Iwan Ries 3 Star Blue, and China Black Vanilla.
Surely I must have been drinking much too heavily when I made these posts, and-or misunderstood the thread.

Right now the five I'm smoking include Raku, Dark Star, and various McC English and orientals. Fusiliers Ration and Old Ironsides are up there too, having just finished off my only tins of those.
Are you drinking tonight? I can't make that add up to five.
I hate five, so I went seven.
Good man.
I still can't figure out your perineum measures into knowing its favorite tobaccos.
Obviously. I mean, you can't even figure out how to say it.....
Well, I don't many chances to talk about you guys' perinea.

Not that I want to.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Your Top Five Pipe Tobacco Blends

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:18 pm

I've never even thought of another mans, um, ahem. Therefore, you are exponentially more ghey than I am. :mrgreen:
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8920
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Your Top Five Pipe Tobacco Blends

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:30 pm

Del wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:12 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:09 pm
Del wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:43 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:01 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:30 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:46 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:19 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:13 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:38 am
Dunhill EM has definitely moved up on the list, along with the East India Co Officers Club. Bob's Chocolate, and Russ's Candy Cane Coco are on the list also, along with Lane 1Q.
If I had to name the two perineal faves though, it would be Iwan Ries 3 Star Blue, and China Black Vanilla.
Surely I must have been drinking much too heavily when I made these posts, and-or misunderstood the thread.

Right now the five I'm smoking include Raku, Dark Star, and various McC English and orientals. Fusiliers Ration and Old Ironsides are up there too, having just finished off my only tins of those.
Are you drinking tonight? I can't make that add up to five.
I hate five, so I went seven.
Good man.
I still can't figure out your perineum measures into knowing its favorite tobaccos.
Obviously. I mean, you can't even figure out how to say it.....
Well, I don't many chances to talk about you guys' perinea.

Not that I want to.
Couple of homonyms. Or homophones perhaps.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 20377
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Your Top Five Pipe Tobacco Blends

Post by Jocose » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:50 pm

This thread certainly helps out for the SS this year!
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
wsblevins
Usher
Usher
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:35 am

Re: Your Top Five Pipe Tobacco Blends

Post by wsblevins » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:57 pm

I. Order of preference:

1. Captain Earle’s Ten Russians
2. Stonehaven Flake
3. And So To Bed
4. Cajun Half & Half
5. Lane Buttered Rum
“This country needs an enema.”

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 6178
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Top Five Pipe Tobacco Blends

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:00 am

Got a bad box of GH Scotch Flake that was tainted with Lakeland essense, so I Xed it out and added another McClelland blend
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:35 pm
McClelland Beacon Extra
McClelland Tudor Castle
McClelland St. James Woods
Gawith Hoggarth, & Co. bulk Brown Flake (unscented)
Gawith Hoggarth, & Co. bulk Scotch Flake
McClelland Aurora
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Your Top Five Pipe Tobacco Blends

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:34 pm

Still working on it.
Give me another 20 years. :pipe2:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Rev156
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:59 am

Re: Your Top Five Pipe Tobacco Blends

Post by Rev156 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:38 am

At this point:
Frog Morton- i love them all
Aurora
Elizabethan Mixture
David's Burley Blend
Beacon Extra

Unfortunately I've not been able try a lot of what's on the majority of your lists......but the game is afoot......

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8920
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Your Top Five Pipe Tobacco Blends

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:41 pm

Rev156 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:38 am
At this point:
Frog Morton- i love them all
Aurora
Elizabethan Mixture
David's Burley Blend
Beacon Extra

Unfortunately I've not been able try a lot of what's on the majority of your lists......but the game is afoot......
The trick to this game is misdirection. Or not. A good fisherman never gives away his/her best spot. Especially these days, when certain "spots" are disappearing.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
rgcurrey
Elder
Elder
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana to the Yukon

Re: Your Top Five Pipe Tobacco Blends

Post by rgcurrey » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:03 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:41 pm
Rev156 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:38 am
At this point:
Frog Morton- i love them all
Aurora
Elizabethan Mixture
David's Burley Blend
Beacon Extra

Unfortunately I've not been able try a lot of what's on the majority of your lists......but the game is afoot......
The trick to this game is misdirection. Or not. A good fisherman never gives away his/her best spot. Especially these days, when certain "spots" are disappearing.
But for a newb like me who has not even tried five different quality tobaccos this is a mean trick. I read through this to help with what to order next . . . so if you leave out your all time number one ok, but, give me at least five good ones to consider. :wavey:
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

And he said to the man,
"Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding." - Job 28:28

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8920
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Your Top Five Pipe Tobacco Blends

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:38 am

rgcurrey wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:03 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:41 pm
Rev156 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:38 am
At this point:
Frog Morton- i love them all
Aurora
Elizabethan Mixture
David's Burley Blend
Beacon Extra

Unfortunately I've not been able try a lot of what's on the majority of your lists......but the game is afoot......
The trick to this game is misdirection. Or not. A good fisherman never gives away his/her best spot. Especially these days, when certain "spots" are disappearing.
But for a newb like me who has not even tried five different quality tobaccos this is a mean trick. I read through this to help with what to order next . . . so if you leave out your all time number one ok, but, give me at least five good ones to consider. :wavey:
Sure no prob.. just within a year or so I started being more reserved, when folks began ordering 20 or 30 tins of what had recently been posted. Suddenly favs were showing up out of stock. Its a difficult thing for me because I really do like sharing. I could say much more but I got go for now. Good luck.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 6178
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Top Five Pipe Tobacco Blends

Post by Goose55 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:35 am

If I had to list the 5 in order of most favorite, it would be this way...

McClelland Aurora
McClelland St. James Woods
Gawith Hoggarth, & Co. bulk Brown Flake (unscented)
McClelland Tudor Castle
McClelland Beacon Extra
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
rgcurrey
Elder
Elder
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana to the Yukon

Re: Your Top Five Pipe Tobacco Blends

Post by rgcurrey » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:37 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:38 am
rgcurrey wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:03 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:41 pm
Rev156 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:38 am
At this point:
Frog Morton- i love them all
Aurora
Elizabethan Mixture
David's Burley Blend
Beacon Extra

Unfortunately I've not been able try a lot of what's on the majority of your lists......but the game is afoot......
The trick to this game is misdirection. Or not. A good fisherman never gives away his/her best spot. Especially these days, when certain "spots" are disappearing.
But for a newb like me who has not even tried five different quality tobaccos this is a mean trick. I read through this to help with what to order next . . . so if you leave out your all time number one ok, but, give me at least five good ones to consider. :wavey:
Sure no prob.. just within a year or so I started being more reserved, when folks began ordering 20 or 30 tins of what had recently been posted. Suddenly favs were showing up out of stock. Its a difficult thing for me because I really do like sharing. I could say much more but I got go for now. Good luck.
No worries, and there ain't no way i could order 20 to 30 tins of anything. Plus, I am still at the discovery stage and have no idea what I like so no idea what I would order tins of to age and enjoy in the years to come. Though my next order will probably contain the 100g tin of Marlin Flake, half for now and half to jar up in the closet for a rainy year to come.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

And he said to the man,
"Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding." - Job 28:28

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 20377
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Your Top Five Pipe Tobacco Blends

Post by Jocose » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:57 pm

Sam Gawith Lakeland Dark
Peterson Irish Flake
G&H Dark flake
C&D Kajun Kake
5 Brothers

Subject to change
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
ryland
More of this
More of this
Posts: 3093
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:00 pm

Re: Your Top Five Pipe Tobacco Blends

Post by ryland » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:17 am

Captain Black white
Marlin Flake
GLP Blackpoint
LBF
LNF
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 7643
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Your Top Five Pipe Tobacco Blends

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:08 am

Hmm it kinda changes, but the general leaders if I could pick 5 out of the last 10 years of trying different blends:

1. GLP Chelsea Morning
2. GLP Blackpoint
3. Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture
4. GLP Sextant
5. LBF or Capstan hard to say

I feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface of my own cellar much less all the options out there...

Generally I could live with GLP blends alone and throw C&D in there and I wouldn’t even care if everything else went away...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

User avatar
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Posts: 6086
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: VA

Re: Your Top Five Pipe Tobacco Blends

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:27 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:08 am
Hmm it kinda changes, but the general leaders if I could pick 5 out of the last 10 years of trying different blends:
Using this method, I arrive at

PS Luxury Twist Flake
Rattray's Hal o' the Wynd
Orlik Golden Sliced
Rattray's Marlin Flake
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky

and PS Luxury Navy Flake/McClelland Wilderness/Sam's Blend/SG Chocolate Flake/Trout Stream/Luxury LBF/Mac Baren Navy Flake/Mac Baren Club Blend...
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 7643
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Your Top Five Pipe Tobacco Blends

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:28 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:08 am
Hmm it kinda changes, but the general leaders if I could pick 5 out of the last 10 years of trying different blends:
Using this method, I arrive at

PS Luxury Twist Flake
Rattray's Hal o' the Wynd
Orlik Golden Sliced
Rattray's Marlin Flake
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky

and PS Luxury Navy Flake/McClelland Wilderness/Sam's Blend/SG Chocolate Flake/Trout Stream/Luxury LBF/Mac Baren Navy Flake/Mac Baren Club Blend...
It’s so hard to pick just 5 right?!?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Post Reply