Presbyterian Mixture

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
Hauser
Pastor
Pastor

Presbyterian Mixture

Post by Hauser » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:20 pm

I couldn't resist buying this blend since we now go to a Presbyterian church and Serad's review was favorable in P&T. It's an old blend of Virginias and Macedonian Oriental tobaccos. Tin opening reviels a mottled brown black mix, fine cut. The tin smells sweetly musty. My tin was too moist and smoked as such. It lights easily with big grey clouds and stayed lit through out the bowl. This isn't a multi dimensional tobacco. The flavor starts off with a miildly spicey taste. It's full without being heavy or flavorful. What's there is good but its missing something, like Latakia. It doesn't hit the mark. I won't smoke it any more stand alone but I have the feeling it has great potential as a base tobacco for adding some additional components. I'll try adding some Latakia, maybe even try making an "Englomatic" out of it with some of the aromatic blends I have that don't stand on their own.

One minor complaint, the tin I have, once opened won't close tightly. I don't know what causes this but find it annoying since I want to be able to store my tobacco in the tin.

3 out of 5 stars

OldSeaRock
Congregation
Congregation

Post by OldSeaRock » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:03 am

I love Presbyterian Mixture! To me, it is the closest thing in taste to the original Balkan Sobranie White.

And the tin - you're spot on! I have a dedicated rubber band that I use to keep my tin sealed. 8)

This tobacco has no latakia in it - all virginias and orientals, with some of the orientals (IMO) being stoved to give it a little depth. All in all, a wonderful rich and tasty mixture.

Hauser
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Hauser » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:33 am

I tried mixing it 50/50 with Old Ironsides (mostly Latakia) and it's pretty good! Much closer to what I was expecting.

JonathanHarker
Congregation
Congregation

Post by JonathanHarker » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:48 pm

Could you send me a bowl of that? As a Presbyterian I feel obliged to try it but as a Scot I don't want to pay anything for it.

Guess that's why FREE Grace is so apealing to me...

:wink:

JH

PipeAndPint
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by PipeAndPint » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:41 am

shameless, JH, shameless! (but amusing nonetheless.. :))
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

dcnpatience
Congregation
Congregation

Post by dcnpatience » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:05 am

JH:

As the old adage goes, a Scotsman can never keep his pipe lit.

If he's using his own tobacco, he packs it too loose; if he's using someone else's, he packs it too tight!

Rodger
(Clan Ross)
"Reverence the deacons as the commandment of God." -- St. Ignatius of Antioch
"That low-down, dirty deacon done stole my gal and gone!" -- Church Bell Blues
TUCOPS Member 09052

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:10 am

I picked up a tin the other day since you guys were talking about this one. It was pretty good - I felt like I really wanted to applaud and shout - but I looked around and everyone else smoking was sitting on there hands... :wink:
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

GScott
In Memoriam - Geezer "Juxtaposition" Extraordinaire

Post by GScott » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:37 pm

That's because they were smoking Nightcap and were trying to keep from the bathroom :lol:

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:09 pm

GScott wrote:That's because they were smoking Nightcap and were trying to keep from the bathroom :lol:
:lol:
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Paul
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Paul » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:30 am

A tad belated but I will weigh in on this stuff.

Simply Fantastic. I think it might replace Nightcap as my go-to. It doesn't burn me up, and no matter if its bone dry or slightly moist still smokes like a champ. Normally a tin will last me about a month (Ive got several bulk and a few open tins I keep around) but this stuff lasted me 3 days. Fantastic. I think one should try it, just to say they've tried it. One of the best blends I have EVER had.
".....I can forgive, and I am not ashamed, to be the person that I am today"

TweednBriar
A Majority Text Kinda Guy
A Majority Text Kinda Guy

Post by TweednBriar » Thu May 04, 2006 7:50 am

The thing which first attracted me to Presbyterian Mixture was, of course, the name. Up to the time when I saw the tin in the tobacconist's, I had been smoking Dutch aromatics and felt in need of something not necessarily stonger, but certainly much cooler. As a I stood in the queue (line), my eye lighted upon the blue and white tin. When my turn came, I asked for a tin of Presbyterian Mixture. The elderly gentleman behind the counter became almost animated as we completed the transaction. From that day on, though forty years his junior, that man called me 'Sir' when I entered the shop.

That was in Glasgow, about twenty-five years ago. I didn't know that I had chosen a blend which was kept in stock for discerning customers.

It is true that the Mixture is not as complex to the palate as it is to the nose. It is true that it lacks the oomph of many of, say, the Dunhill blends. However, it is a very good introduction to real tobacco over against smoking carmels. Apart from it's relative cost, I should not hesitate to recommend it to someone looking for an entrance into the world of British pipe tobacco.

Presbyterian Mixture is a cool, easy smoke, which does not over-power the smoker.

When the Mixture was unavailable, tobacconists recommended the white-tinned Sobrani as an alternative. I agree that the two blends are very close; however, I think that the Sobrani takes one a step closer to the Dunhills. (A helpful transition which is, alas, gone).

If Presbyterian Mixture is a point on a journey, is it worth revisiting?

I should say yes. When the taste buds are tired and one's regular blends have become broken cisterns, the Mixture is cool, calming, and undemanding.

The Mixture is also a good outdoor smoke. I take it along for something to do when the fish won't rise to the fly, or when after a day's hunting, Durbar seems too much of a palaver.

GScott

Post by GScott » Thu May 04, 2006 10:32 am

You should write commercials! :)

PipeAndPint

Post by PipeAndPint » Thu May 04, 2006 10:35 am

TweednBriar wrote:The thing which first attracted me to Presbyterian Mixture was, of course, the name. Up to the time when I saw the tin in the tobacconist's, I had been smoking Dutch aromatics and felt in need of something not necessarily stonger, but certainly much cooler. As a I stood in the queue (line), my eye lighted upon the blue and white tin. When my turn came, I asked for a tin of Presbyterian Mixture. The elderly gentleman behind the counter became almost animated as we completed the transaction. From that day on, though forty years his junior, that man called me 'Sir' when I entered the shop.

That was in Glasgow, about twenty-five years ago. I didn't know that I had chosen a blend which was kept in stock for discerning customers.

It is true that the Mixture is not as complex to the palate as it is to the nose. It is true that it lacks the oomph of many of, say, the Dunhill blends. However, it is a very good introduction to real tobacco over against smoking carmels. Apart from it's relative cost, I should not hesitate to recommend it to someone looking for an entrance into the world of British pipe tobacco.

Presbyterian Mixture is a cool, easy smoke, which does not over-power the smoker.

When the Mixture was unavailable, tobacconists recommended the white-tinned Sobrani as an alternative. I agree that the two blends are very close; however, I think that the Sobrani takes one a step closer to the Dunhills. (A helpful transition which is, alas, gone).

If Presbyterian Mixture is a point on a journey, is it worth revisiting?

I should say yes. When the taste buds are tired and one's regular blends have become broken cisterns, the Mixture is cool, calming, and undemanding.

The Mixture is also a good outdoor smoke. I take it along for something to do when the fish won't rise to the fly, or when after a day's hunting, Durbar seems too much of a palaver.
Last time I had a tin of PM in-house was about two years ago, and I wasn't horribly impressed (though I smoke British tobacco almost exclusively). But your review has inspired me to pick up another tin!
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

ReverendRoadlaw
Pastor
Pastor

Post by ReverendRoadlaw » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:44 pm

I want to like it...desperately, but it seems to lack the richness that I love. I haven't given up though.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who can't get the lid to close!

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:29 pm

I have got to stop reading these posts! I was preparing to order a couple of tins from JFH and I added a tin of PM. When I first encountered it, I thought that it was OK but by the end of the tin, I liked it (of course it was a free sample to get me to carry it). Blast you Hauser! :)

-UB

ReverendRoadlaw
Pastor
Pastor

Post by ReverendRoadlaw » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:53 pm

UB, I'll trade you my tin (minus one bowl)...

PipeAndPint

Post by PipeAndPint » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:39 am

Just started into a tin of this about a week ago. I like it much more this time around than I have previously.

Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Dlibbon » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:01 am

I'm off to restock my cellar tomorrow finally and thinking about picking up a tin of this stuff anyone have some more thoughts on it???

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:04 pm

uth_guy_dave wrote:I'm off to restock my cellar tomorrow finally and thinking about picking up a tin of this stuff anyone have some more thoughts on it???
Restocking tomorrow! Let me waste no time and answer you within 18 months of your inquiry...

I've just tried Presbyterian Mixture and it has won me over. A beautiful and gently spicy mixture with creamy thick smoke. The taste and smell are subtle and easy and delicious. This is not the heavy smoke I anticipated. It doesn't seize you by the throat. Rather it offers a smooth and gently exotic taste.

Being just VA and Oriental, it affords the opportunity to savour the distinctiveness of the oriental taste in masterfully careful proportions.

Highly recommended!
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

RMBittner
Congregation
Congregation

Post by RMBittner » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:36 pm

I don't think I've ever had to experiment quite so much in order to bring out the true character of a blend. Maybe it won't require so much effort for you. But if it does, I think your attention will be rewarded.

Initial flame brings wafting dark orientals to the fore, with a toasted kind of tangy bitterness that I happen to really enjoy. Midway through, the equally toasty-tasting Virginias duck in and out, never overtaking the orientals completely but sometimes melding with them. Near the end, the orientals again dominate, with a slightly bitter, slightly sooty finish.

As for that "effort" I mentioned at the beginning . . .

As tinned, this blend is quite moist; it benefits from 15-20 minutes of drying before loading in the pipe. It's also very particular about how it's packed. Recent Pease blends have gotten me packing pretty tightly, but that didn't work here. Even with a lighter-than-usual hand, this one refused to be a 3-match smoke -- requiring up to 5 matches to finish off the bowl.

Based on Serad's review in "Pipes and Tobaccos" magazine, I'd approached this one initially as a Balkan. But the latakia is present in such tiny quantities as to really make this, as many others have noted, a Virginia/oriental blend. While I favor the kind of creamy interaction that comes when orientals work together seamlessly with a large quantitiy of latakia in a true Balkan -- where the Virginias are much more of an afterthought -- Presbyterian is very much worth exploring on its own terms.

Not to put too much pressure on its name, but: For me, this one is all dark walnut pews, dusty burgundy curtains, and deep shadows. (I would never call it light and flavorless, as some here have.) To me, it's quite enjoyable and I've cellared a goodly portion.

Bob