Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Re: Presbyterian Mixture

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:26 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:44 pm
Yeah, man. Enjoy.
:thumbsup:
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:25 pm

Zombie thread win of the day.

Bloodhound gifted me a tin I've yet to open. Looking forward to it.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:13 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:25 pm

Sam you gotta bust that one open It is so smooth
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:31 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:13 pm
Irish-Dane wrote:

This is the next tin I open after the Missus gets over her sinus infection.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:41 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:31 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:

From what I hear, if you smoke it in the house it will cure her.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:59 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:41 pm
Irish-Dane wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:

Oh yeah, it will cure her alright.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:07 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:59 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:41 pm
Irish-Dane wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:

Oh yeah, it will cure her alright.
:rotfl:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:38 pm

Yesterday evening I discovered a box on my porch. It had been left there by our regular rural mail carrier the package having been too large to fit into our standard sized mailbox a few hundred yards down our dirt drive at the county road. Thank goodness it was our regular carrier. Whenever a substitute fills in for him, packages like this end up going back to the post office for pickup.

I opened the box last night with much anticipation. Inside were several tins of Presbyterian Mixture (some the version packaged for William P. Solomon, London, a few bearing the Made in the EU printing. There were also two tins of Davidoff English Mixture.

Friends had told me to prepare myself for a smoking experience unlike any I'd had before. Given the now somewhat scarce nature of the tobacco and especially the growing rarity of the earlier Solomon branding, I decided to smoke the first bowl in my Teipen bent billiard. This pipe is an extraordinary pipe, one that does not seem to color the flavor of tobacco but seems always to bring out the best qualities of whatever tobacco I put in it.

I opened the tin. It smelled of . . .
Of what?

Luscious unidentifiable spices, and figs, and dates and raisens. It had a deep undertone of fecundity, of musty earth and mulch. The tin note was very complicated and rich. Although the argument about whether or not this tobacco has any Latakia in it rages, there was a definite suggestion of leather. Not overwhelming, but there.

After letting a bowlful dry for a few minutes, I loaded my Teipen. A charring light. A gentle tamp. Another touch of a match and it began to produce thick billows of cool, mild, delicious white smoke. I don't think any tobacco I've smoked produced as much.

This was my first bowl. I know enough to know that a new tobacco doesn't reveal itself in the first bowl, but allow me to say this, as sophisticated and nuanced a comment as I am able to make after one bowl and in my current state of euphoria:

HOLY CRAP this stuff is good!

I've smoked English blends of several kinds and various strengths before. Presbyterian Mixture is definitely on the mild side in terms of nicotine. It is cool and smooth beyond description. But the flavor sings with taste, rich, complex, spices. I cannot name them. I only know I've never tasted anything like it before.

I felt I'd been invited into a nomad's tent for a smoke. He was wrapped in furs. His wife and children likewise. Outside, goats wandered. Horses wearing blinders ripped grasses from the steppes. And we, not speaking the same language simply smiled at each other as we smoked. Nodding and pointing to our pipes as if to say, "Pretty damn good, huh!"

This tobacco transports you.
I'll try to do a better job of describing it after I've finished a tin. Right now I'm mostly reduced to smiling.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:45 pm

I'm happy for you, dp. Presbyterian Mixture is some good stuff. I believe what you're tasting, that you can't put your finger on, are some of those exotic little Oriental leaves. Any which way you cut it it's all good. And the tin? Save the tin. They don't make enameled tins like that anymore and they make great display pieces. Of course, I could be a little biased since I am a Presbyterian.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:47 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:38 pm
Yesterday evening I discovered a box on my porch. It had been left there by our regular rural mail carrier the package having been too large to fit into our standard sized mailbox a few hundred yards down our dirt drive at the county road. Thank goodness it was our regular carrier. Whenever a substitute fills in for him, packages like this end up going back to the post office for pickup.

I opened the box last night with much anticipation. Inside were several tins of Presbyterian Mixture (some the version packaged for William P. Solomon, London, a few bearing the Made in the EU printing. There were also two tins of Davidoff English Mixture.

Friends had told me to prepare myself for a smoking experience unlike any I'd had before. Given the now somewhat scarce nature of the tobacco and especially the growing rarity of the earlier Solomon branding, I decided to smoke the first bowl in my Teipen bent billiard. This pipe is an extraordinary pipe, one that does not seem to color the flavor of tobacco but seems always to bring out the best qualities of whatever tobacco I put in it.

I opened the tin. It smelled of . . .
Of what?

Luscious unidentifiable spices, and figs, and dates and raisens. It had a deep undertone of fecundity, of musty earth and mulch. The tin note was very complicated and rich. Although the argument about whether or not this tobacco has any Latakia in it rages, there was a definite suggestion of leather. Not overwhelming, but there.

After letting a bowlful dry for a few minutes, I loaded my Teipen. A charring light. A gentle tamp. Another touch of a match and it began to produce thick billows of cool, mild, delicious white smoke. I don't think any tobacco I've smoked produced as much.

This was my first bowl. I know enough to know that a new tobacco doesn't reveal itself in the first bowl, but allow me to say this, as sophisticated and nuanced a comment as I am able to make after one bowl and in my current state of euphoria:

HOLY CRAP this stuff is good!

I've smoked English blends of several kinds and various strengths before. Presbyterian Mixture is definitely on the mild side in terms of nicotine. It is cool and smooth beyond description. But the flavor sings with taste, rich, complex, spices. I cannot name them. I only know I've never tasted anything like it before.

I felt I'd been invited into a nomad's tent for a smoke. He was wrapped in furs. His wife and children likewise. Outside, goats wandered. Horses wearing blinders ripped grasses from the steppes. And we, not speaking the same language simply smiled at each other as we smoked. Nodding and pointing to our pipes as if to say, "Pretty damn good, huh!"

This tobacco transports you.
I'll try to do a better job of describing it after I've finished a tin. Right now I'm mostly reduced to smiling.
Great post! Transported indeed. I carried a tin of PM to Florida approx 10 yrs ago, to a snipe rally there. I shared with two or three other pipe smokers after the evening meal, and they all got a buzz (or so they said). I carried another tin to Wisconsin once, to hand to a fellow CPSer in Madison. The last tin of PM I had, was from Monarchist's cellar, and was ultimately gifted to another CPSer in Alabama. Funny how things come around sometimes.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:11 pm

I never tire of reading DP's posts.

Holy crap that stuff is good.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:20 am

JimVH wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:11 pm
I never tire of reading DP's posts.

Holy crap that stuff is good.
+1

Presbyterian Mixture is dang good as well.
Sola Deo Gloria

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:58 am

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:30 am

ReverendThom wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:58 am
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
8O
Sola Deo Gloria

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:10 pm

Some of the best conversations I had with Rusty were about Presbyterian Mixture, old old, kind of old and new. I haven't smoked PM in about 4 months. I need to break out a tin...maybe this weekend.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:28 pm

I’ve had but a single tin, It registered on the meh meter so much, I never tried it again.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:24 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:28 pm
I’ve had but a single tin, It registered on the meh meter so much, I never tried it again.
I have talked to those who feel like this and others who flip for it. You should try it again
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Pipeweed
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Pipeweed » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Do you guys have a source for PM? I have been looking at the major online retailers and they never seems to have it in stock. Sounds like the kind a blend this pastor needs to try.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:44 am

A good CPS friend recently sent me this pristine still sealed 30 year old tin with a painted label. And another CPS friend told me about a B&M where he lives that still had these McClelland tins a couple few weeks ago....

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

driftedshank
Congregation
Congregation

Post by driftedshank » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:33 am

Pipeweed- If you're in a hurry, I believe El Fumador in Sewickly, Pa has some Presbyterian in stock.