Presbyterian Mixture

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:56 pm

I bought a tin recently also, and agree with the comments about it not being as rich as expected. But still a good smoke, and no doubt there will be a 2nd tin purchased ... and maybe a 3rd, as well ....
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Jonno
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Jonno » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:20 am

Its on my list of tins to buy in the future. I might be making a large purchase within the next few weeks.. I might have to add this one to it.

justynblack
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by justynblack » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:05 am

I picked up tin of Presbyterian Mixture and smoked two bowls last night. Keep in mind I'm still a bit of a pipe n00b but I'll agree with the opinion that this blend is missing something. And to be honest the one dimensional flavor that was there wasn't really to my taste.

Jflo
Minister of Saying Aaahhh
Minister of Saying Aaahhh

Post by Jflo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:13 am

I like it just the way it is... a very nice, pleasant smoke; gentle on the palate and nose.

besides, my wife doesn't mind the room note...
"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it's not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -Augustine

Jonno
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Jonno » Tue May 24, 2011 1:40 pm

Jonno wrote:Its on my list of tins to buy in the future. I might be making a large purchase within the next few weeks.. I might have to add this one to it.
Finally picked up a tin of this stuff from a cigar store in Newport, Rhode Island.

Anyone want to add a few new thoughts on this blend? I haven't opened it yet as I always have other stuff that needs to be smoked up first.
Pretty sure the price on it was toooo much, as it was $21 for the tin when Smokingpipes has it for 11 a tin, but oh well, I like supporting local B&M's plus it's a little like a souvenir.

I also picked up an old Rocky Patel cigar box for $2 (I carry my pipes in old cigar boxes, provides good protection) of which the entire price of all of their old cigar boxes goes to local charities, nice idea.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Tue May 24, 2011 1:47 pm

Jonno wrote:
Jonno wrote:Its on my list of tins to buy in the future. I might be making a large purchase within the next few weeks.. I might have to add this one to it.
Finally picked up a tin of this stuff from a cigar store in Newport, Rhode Island.

Anyone want to add a few new thoughts on this blend? I haven't opened it yet as I always have other stuff that needs to be smoked up first.
Pretty sure the price on it was toooo much, as it was $21 for the tin when Smokingpipes has it for 11 a tin, but oh well, I like supporting local B&M's plus it's a little like a souvenir.

I also picked up an old Rocky Patel cigar box for $2 (I carry my pipes in old cigar boxes, provides good protection) of which the entire price of all of their old cigar boxes goes to local charities, nice idea.
Feb 2009? Wow that's a long duration to-do list. Congrats.

I frankly think $11 is high given what it is. That's over $6 per oz. which was my old limit for any tobacco out of the US. It's Virginia & Lat. How expensive should that be? You can make really good stuff like this from the blender tobaccos.

At $21 you're taking a page out the Canadian experience ($11.91 per oz). And it doesn't get any better when the price goes up. $21 is an actual Canadian sticker price for Presbyterian from the early 2000's so the tax gap is closing. Not good. It used to be (2004) that most of the US tin prices were like early 80's Canadian pricing.

Strangely, in Canada, Presbyterian is one of the lower priced tinned tobaccos. That's not true in the US. This is entirely attributable to the distributors.
Last edited by Rusty on Tue May 24, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Jonno
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Jonno » Tue May 24, 2011 1:54 pm

Rusty wrote:
Jonno wrote:

I frankly think $11 is high given what it is. That's over $6 per oz. which was my old limit for any tobacco out of the US. It's Virginia & Lat. How expensive should that be? You can make really good stuff like this from the blender tobaccos.

At $21 you're taking a page out the Canadian experience ($11.91 per oz). And it doesn't get any better when the price goes up. $21 is an actual Canadian sticker price for Presbyterian from the early 2000's so the tax gap is closing. Not good. It used to be that most of the US tin prices were like early 80's Canadian pricing.
Yeah, $21 is certainly steep, but I'm not sure what the state tobacco tax is in Rhode Island, plus what ever the up-charge is for the B&M.

Have you tried it before though Rusty? If so, what is your take on it? Did you like it?

It seems to be a pretty popular mixture so I thought it was worth picking up even if its the only tin of the stuff I ever buy.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Tue May 24, 2011 2:05 pm

Jonno wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Jonno wrote:

At $21 you're taking a page out the Canadian experience ($11.91 per oz). And it doesn't get any better when the price goes up. $21 is an actual Canadian sticker price for Presbyterian from the early 2000's so the tax gap is closing. Not good. It used to be that most of the US tin prices were like early 80's Canadian pricing.
Yeah, $21 is certainly steep, but I'm not sure what the state tobacco tax is in Rhode Island, plus what ever the up-charge is for the B&M.

Have you tried it before though Rusty? If so, what is your take on it? Did you like it?

It seems to be a pretty popular mixture so I thought it was worth picking up even if its the only tin of the stuff I ever buy.
Yup I have smoked probably at least hundred tins of it. But I'm convinced that it changed at some point in the early 2000's. I had a stack of tins from the late 80's and early 90's (unlike the US it has been available continuously in Canada). It was a Va/Or with just a touch of Latakia. It was a very high quality long ribbon cut like other old venerated blends. Mostly lighter tobaccos with even some tan-green pieces and very little black tobacco. It had a delicious nutty flavour with some smoke. We used to debate whether it had Latakia and the debates were endless. Now it's a short ribbon cut of little pieces, and mostly dark almost black throughout. It's a mix of stoved and darker American Va's with unmistakable Latakia condiment. It's now a an English Latakia blend. It's very smooth - what could be harsh? But it's also quite simple and straight forward. If you've had SG Commonwealth then you can imagine it as Commonwealth-light. Commonwealth is a much more interesting and richer blend. But this wasn't what Presbyterian was about at all.

At some point in the last year or so I smoked my last old tin and I didn't even notice it was the last. Recently I opened a contemporary tin (wrapped in plastic in the tin and wet) and was confused about what had happened. There are posts on CPS where I describe it as a Va/Or with just a touch of Latakia for debate. That's gone. I disassembled some of a tin of the new stuff (yeah it's been the std for a decade!) and found not one leaf of any sun cured Oriental. Va + Latakia and this is quite consistent with the manufacturers description.

It's not a disappointment unless you had the old one. But that isn't news except to me, apparently.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Tue May 24, 2011 4:19 pm

I miss the Presbyterian.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Tue May 24, 2011 5:30 pm

Onyx wrote:I miss the Presbyterian.
Those are crocodile tears. Esp with Cignall's carrying McClelland, Sam Gawith (and they're in stock!), plus the same Stokkebye bulks, plus something called Outback 'Aye-it's-back-mate, oh-God'.

Presbyterian is not essential once you have a selection like that.

http://www.tobaccoblends.com.au/import.htm
Frankston, just a nice drive from Melbourne.

Where are you?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Tue May 24, 2011 6:05 pm

Rusty wrote:Sam Gawith (and they're in stock!)
Lies, where?
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

Onyx

Post by Onyx » Tue May 24, 2011 6:16 pm

Rusty wrote:
Those are crocodile tears. Esp with Cignall's carrying McClelland, Sam Gawith (and they're in stock!), plus the same Stokkebye bulks, plus something called Outback 'Aye-it's-back-mate, oh-God'.

Where are you?
Yeah, I know these guys. I'm in Brisbane, but Cignall have mailed me orders before.

It's not that I can't get it. It's that I already have more stock than I can use of other blends. So I'm not buying. I'm just out of Presbyterian, that's all.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Tue May 24, 2011 6:27 pm

Onyx wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Where are you?
Yeah, I know these guys. I'm in Brisbane, but Cignall have mailed me orders before.

It's not that I can't get it. It's that I already have more stock than I can use of other blends. So I'm not buying. I'm just out of Presbyterian, that's all.
Brisbane! Ah paradise.

Yeah, well you look at a 50g tin and see 5 lbs whereas I look at 5 lbs and see 50g. It's a curious inverse.

But you can make a pretty good Presbyterian-style blend from McL #5100/#5105 & Latakia. I would add some brighter stuff too but it's richer and quite possibly better. In fact one can start with just a small amount of Latakia somewhere around 15% and it suggests chocolate. That would give a presbyterian a ... well you get the picture.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:49 am

Cellared tin August 2010. Opened Jan 2012.

I am smoking my last bowl of this tin of Presbyterian. My first few bowls I was not impressed, not disappointed either. First blush was a pretty OK all day light English, but nothing like the accolades I had read from reviewers here and there. But then about a third of the way through the tin I discovered that this blend, sunrise, and coffee is about as nice as piping gets. I have since only smoked this in the early morning with coffee and have grown to seriously enjoy it.

This is not just a light English; though that category is appropriate and if you enjoy that type of blend I think you will really enjoy Presbyterian.

I found smaller bowls of the Rhodesian and Prince variety did best, really not so good in tall chambers or larger pipes. This is a sipping blend and a little goes a long way, minimal nicotine, in the classic English ribbon cut.

DL Rates 4 out of 5 stars.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:52 pm

This is was my first step into English Blends....and It was and still is one of my favorites...I have 4 tins cellered and ageing....I want to see how it goes...I also normally have a tin open...it and Pensance are my go to blends.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Presbyterian Mixture

Post by durangopipe » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:22 pm

A friend just inherited the tobacco cellar of a buddy.

He wrote to five of us with a list of the tobaccos he’s not going to keep, and the list included 26 tins of Presbyterian Mixture. I told him I’d be interested in however many tins of PM were available after everyone’s requests were filled.

He’s giving it to us for the cost of shipping.

Hopefully, I’ll be able to post some first impressions of what I believe will be aged PM, shortly.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:23 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:22 pm
A friend just inherited the tobacco cellar of a buddy.

He wrote to five of us with a list of the tobaccos he’s not going to keep, and the list included 26 tins of Presbyterian Mixture. I told him I’d be interested in however many tins of PM were available after everyone’s requests were filled.

He’s giving it to us for the cost of shipping.

Hopefully, I’ll be able to post some first impressions of what I believe will be aged PM, shortly.
Nice. My tobacco survival plan is not that generous.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:44 pm

Yeah, man. Enjoy.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:12 pm

It's good stuff. Horrid name. Great tobacco. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:21 pm

I bought it and Westminster for the name. I'm glad I did, because they are excellent mixtures. Presbyterian seems hard to find now.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH