No Shave November...

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: No Shave November...

Post by JimVH » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:54 pm

JMG wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:32 pm
JimVH wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:13 pm
My face has not been clean shaven since 1982.
Coinsendently, the year I was born. DUH! DUH! DUH!
You know, I really don't need help remembering I'm old.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:59 pm

It's not a question of liking or disliking the beard in a mid-Atlantic city. I support Movember in theory, I suppose, and whether a man does or does not wear a beard has been a matter of personal choice ever since Peter the Great died.

Every tight Jean-wearing, 400 dollar limited edition RedWing boot-owning, flannel shirted, be-scarved nancy boy eating his artisanal steak made from Phyllis the Happy Cow sashaying down Walnut Street looking for a cilantro-containing cocktail has a beard right now.

Man was made in the image of God and God, as we all know, wears a fine beard. It bespeaks the combined kingly and priestly duties of a sacramentally-minded husband and father. But, for this urban dweller, the best way of serving Him and not being mistaken for Bob's Bane is by waking up and shaving every morning. Body temperature water. Fancy shaving cream your daughter got you. Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal splashed on the cheeks.

You live in the countryside? Beard of the prophets, bro. Go nuts. I envy you more than you know.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:03 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:54 pm
JMG wrote:
JimVH wrote:
I'm the only one that still thinks he's a kid and hurts himself doing things I used to be able to do, huh?

JMG--I often need reminded I'm old, lol.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:05 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:59 pm
It's not a question of liking or disliking the beard in a mid-Atlantic city. I support Movember in theory, I suppose, and whether a man does or does not wear a beard has been a matter of personal choice ever since Peter the Great died.

Every tight Jean-wearing, 400 dollar limited edition RedWing boot-owning, flannel shirted, be-scarved nancy boy eating his artisanal steak made from Phyllis the Happy Cow sashaying down Walnut Street looking for a cilantro-containing cocktail has a beard right now.

Man was made in the image of God and God, as we all know, wears a fine beard. It bespeaks the combined kingly and priestly duties of a sacramentally-minded husband and father. But, for this urban dweller, the best way of serving Him and not being mistaken for Bob's Bane is by waking up and shaving every morning. Body temperature water. Fancy shaving cream your daughter got you. Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal splashed on the cheeks.

You live in the countryside? Beard of the prophets, bro. Go nuts. I envy you more than you know.
I just now realized that you have inherited the mantle of A_Morley.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:30 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:05 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:59 pm

I just now realized that you have inherited the mantle of A_Morley.
No, I have not. Where I am joking and always taken seriously, Morley was deadly serious and always taken facetiously.

Dont do that to me. Please.

But if somebody doesnt notice soon that educated rednecks can proceed with caution but cannot precede themselves cautiously, there might be some sheer abject rage.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:44 pm

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:31 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:44 pm
Horse feathers. There was not As@hole-Choleric Succession.

Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll

Post by Winton » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:54 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:03 pm
JimVH wrote:
JMG wrote:
JimVH wrote:
I'm the only one that still thinks he's a kid and hurts himself doing things I used to be able to do, huh?

In 1982 I was looking forward to my senior year of high school. I was not beard ready then. During one of my summer breaks in college, I grew a beard. But my school had a rule that a guy had to be 21 to wear a beard. I wore the beard for as long as I could get away with it. Then I shaved the right half off and then went to dinner in the cafeteria. It is amazing how long you can talk to someone, like normal, before they notice that you only have half a beard. I took the left half off afterwards.

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:05 pm

Winton wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:03 pm
JimVH wrote:
JMG wrote:
JimVH wrote:

In 1982 I was looking forward to my senior year of high school. I was not beard ready then. During one of my summer breaks in college, I grew a beard. But my school had a rule that a guy had to be 21 to wear a beard. I wore the beard for as long as I could get away with it. Then I shaved the right half off and then went to dinner in the cafeteria. It is amazing how long you can talk to someone, like normal, before they notice that you only have half a beard. I took the left half off afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Re:

Post by Thoth » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:51 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:03 pm
I envy you guys. My job requires neatly trimmed facial hair. Otherwise, I'd love to grow a Grizzly Adams.
Same here but I answer to a higher authority in terms of beard length, my wife. (and apparently now my two year old daughter. she wants me to grow out my beard so she can pet it)

I generally won't shave from November until Easter, though keeping it somewhat trimmed due to the wife's "request".
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:06 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:44 pm
:lol:
Sola Deo Gloria

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:29 pm

I'm blessed to have a wife that loves a burly beard and job that does not force me to trim it, though I do from time to time. I typically trim it down close to the skin once a year, which has already taken place, and then just trim the sides (they grow more quickly for me). One of my students asked if I was going to participate in Movember though. I kindly replied: I haven't shaved since 4 Novembers ago, so I guess I'm already in it.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:20 am

Normally, I just let it grow. Occasionally, over the years, I have noticed Mrs. UB looking closely at it. Now that I think about it, usually a few days after that I feel a sharp pain in the neck and wake up shorn.

I'm sure there is no direct correlation.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:03 am

I have recently (September this year) decided to let the beard grow. My wife likes it and I keep it trimmed to where it will just hold a comb. I haven't had a beard in several years. I used to wear a beard full time, but shaved when I went into the academy and kept ti shaved while working the road. Then off and on for the last 15+ years
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:07 am

I hate to shave now. I now just "mow" and trim my short cropped beard every week or 2 with electric clippers.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:40 pm

Trimmed my beard a few days ago 1. In the hopes it would make me look younger and 2. because I kept getting it in my mouth.
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:15 pm

I promise during the month of Nov to not shave off my beard.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:23 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:15 pm
I promise during the month of Nov to not shave off my beard.
+1
Sola Deo Gloria

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:43 am

Fainn wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:40 pm
Trimmed my beard a few days ago 1. In the hopes it would make me look younger and 2. because I kept getting it in my mouth.
You could always just trim your moustache ;). It's what I do.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:55 am

My youngest (now 11) does not remember me without one and objects to the thought of shaving mine off. That said I wouldn't shave it as I have grown rather fond of it over the years but occasionally I do trim it down to a couple of inches long when I start looking all wild mountain man like.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound[a] teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. - 2 Tim 4:3-4